+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pikachu

Thread: Michael Kors - Judge

Michael Kors - Judge

Michael Kors - Judge

Michael Kors began his career in fashion at the age of 19 designing and merchandising a collection for the renowned boutique Lothar's in New York City. The success of these clothes caught the attention of the fashion press, prompting Kors to strike out on his own. In 1981 the Michael Kors label was formed; since his collection was established, it has never strayed from Kors' initial vision of chic, luxurious American sportswear.

In 2001, Michael Kors launched accessories under his Collection label. Today the line includes a full range of women's handbags, shoes, belts and eyewear. In 2002, the company launched a full-scale men's collection in response to the critical acclaim received by a capsule menswear line launched in 1997.

In 2004, Kors unveiled Michael Michael Kors, to an unprecedented launch in over 350 doors nationwide. The Michael Michael Kors label includes women's ready-to-wear, swimwear and accessories including handbags, small leather goods, belts and shoes; as well as eyewear and timepieces for both men and women.

Michael Kors Collection flagship boutiques are located throughout the United States in New York City, Long Island, Beverly Hills, Palm Beach and Chicago; international Collection stores include Milan and London. In 2006 the company began an aggressive growth of accessory-focused stores encompassing the world of Michael Kors. There are currently 60 stores in North America, as well as international locations including Munich, Seoul and the Middle East. In early 2010, Michael Kors K.K. was formed, with plans for a major expansion throughout Japan.

Mr. Kors' first signature fragrance for women, "Michael Kors," was launched in 2000, followed by a men's scent in 2001. In 2005, the company launched "Island Michael Kors," which has spawned four limited editions. In 2009 the company launched a major fragrance franchise, "Very Hollywood Michael Kors."

Celebrities who have worn Kors' clothes include Angelina Jolie, Cameron Diaz, Uma Thurman, Jennifer Lopez, Mary J. Blige, Kate Winslet, Sandra Bullock, Madonna, Barbara Streisand, Kate Hudson, Gwyneth Paltrow, Blake Lively, Angelica Huston, Jennifer Hudson and Debra Messing. In March of 2009, first lady Michelle Obama chose a Michael Kors gown for her first official portrait; Mrs. Obama continues to wear Michael Kors on a regular basis.

Michael Kors received DuPont's "First American Original" award in 1983, and the Elle /Cadillac fashion award for excellence in 1995. In 1996 he was named by Vogue magazine part of the "new establishment" —and referred to as "one of the most influential designers of the decade." In 1999, Michael Kors received the CFDA award for Womenswear Designer of the Year, followed by Menswear Designer of the Year in 2003. In June of 2001, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008, Kors was one of three nominees for the CFDA's Accessories Designer of the Year Award. In June of 2010, Kors was the youngest recipient to ever receive the Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award from the CFDA, and received the Fragrance Foundation's FIFI "Hall of Fame" award for Lifetime Achievement. He also received the Oliver R. Grace Award from the Cancer Research Institute.

In 2004, Kors began his role as one of the judges on the critically acclaimed and five-time Emmy-nominated reality show "Project Runway," a role that he continues in the series' ninth season.

Kors currently resides in New York City.

Michael Kors | "Project Runway" Judges | myLifetime.com

Re: Michael Kors - Judge

Project Runway Judge Michael Kors Weds Longtime Boyfriend

Wed., Aug. 17, 2011 4:41 PM PDT by Natalie Finn

In this case, less was definitely more for Michael Kors.

The deliciously snarky Project Runway judge swapped vows yesterday with longtime partner Lance LePere on Dune Beach in an intimate ceremony officiated by Southampton, N.Y., Mayor Mark Epley, a rep for Kors confirmed to E! News.

There were definitely in the right place at the right time...

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed landmark legislation legalizing gay marriage in June, prompting hundreds of couples to get in line for holy matrimony the day the law went into effect July 24.

"To marry someone as wonderful and special to me as Lance, barefoot on a glorious beach, is more than I could have dreamed of," Kors told WWD.com, which first reported the good news today.

Kors and LePere were spotted picking up a marriage license at New York City Hall a couple of weeks ago. They met in 1990 when LePere started as an intern at Kors' design house, but it wasn't until they spent time in Paris, where they'd eat together at the American outpost of the NYC classic Joe Allen, that they fell in love.

"We share a certain level of taste, an American point of view, and I think we like to play with Americana," LePere told New York magazine last summer. "Over the years and the day-to-day process of dreaming together, things just naturally fell into place."

Read more: Project Runway Judge Michael Kors Weds Longtime Boyfriend - E! Online
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

In other news, Michael Kors is really really rich.

Guess How Many Billions Michael Kors Is Worth Now?

by Justin Fenner | 4:23 pm, August 11th, 2011

If Michael Kors wasn’t rich enough already, he just got even richer. The recent sale of a 20 percent equity stake in his fashion label valued his company at 2.5 billion dollars. It’s not a record, but it is impressive considering that figure is 25 times the company’s actual earnings.

The New York Post reported this morning that the $500 million stake was sold last month to a group of investors led by designer Tommy Hilfiger and a number rich people from his inner circle. The money will be used to expand the brand into Europe and Asia (emerging markets!) and to open more stores. There are currently 100 Michael Kors stores across America and Europe, and by next year the brand aims to double that number.

It’s all made even more remarkable when you remember that we’re in a recession, and that Kors only started devoting all his time and energy to the brand eight years ago. (Before that, he had been the women’s wear designer at Celine.) Still, financial experts say that even in an economic climate like the one we’re living in, luxury still means enough to demand high prices.

“This is luxury’s day,” said Richard Kestenbaum of New York investment bank Triangle Capital. Fears of a double-dip recession notwithstanding, demand for designer merchandise with fat price tags continues to climb, he said.

The company had more than doubled in size over the last four years, and it still has room to grow. Kestenbaum noted that “there are very few brands that are performing on the scale of Michael Kors, and that have as much room left to grow in different channels and parts of the world.”

And unless a competitor steps out soon, all those eager customers will be Kors’ for the taking.
    You really have to wonder just how many black t-shirts he has in his closet(s)...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I'm glad someone started a thread for Michael. I was going post about his marriage the other day but couldn't find a thread for him after doing a search so I decided not to post it. I figured there was a thread for him and I just wasn't finding it.

He's my favorite Project Runway judge and one of my favorite reality tv show judges. He doesn't mince words or try to shield a contestant with empty statements when he doesn't like their work. He points out exactly why it doesn't work so that hopefully the contestant can learn from their mistake and not repeat it. Plus, he's just really funny.

I like judges who keep it real. They're not their to mother the contestants and tell them they're all wonderful because only one person can win the prize. Sometimes it takes tough love and frankness to reel a contestant back to reality.

I'd love to be friends with Michael in real life. I bet he's a lot of fun to hang out with!
    Shoepie likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Lance looks like a younger Michael. The resemblence is remarkable.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Same plastic surgeon? Michael looks like he's had some work done. Now, if Michael starts getting taller . . .

+ Reply to Thread