+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 8/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 8/11 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I liked Becky and Kimberly's the best. Then Anya and Oliver's.

Joshua M. cracks me up. He can be a bit catty but he seems kind of clever too.

I don't like the lipstick Heidi keeps wearing. Too bright. I think it makes her look older too.

Tim Gunn is such a great mentor!! He's nice but he really knows his stuff too.

FORT Fan

Olivier is faking his accent, or rather, he's trying really hard to sound British. You can tell because he's constantly slipping, you can hear his original accent and ever so often he corrects himself by repeating something with his "new" accent.
    This is not a signature.

Bryce was an a****** to Fallene. I know plenty of self taught sewers who are way better then those who go to fashion design school.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 08-14-2011 at 09:17 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

So much to say about this episode I'm not even sure I can remember all I want to say.

I echo what everyone has said here about Victor and Bert. Bert was right in correcting Victor because Victor was just flat out wrong. It would certainly irk me too. I've learned to turn it into a question, even if I'm dead sure I'm right. It comes across as less combative and know-it-all. 'Do you mean Elizabethan?' Only my MIL has argued her point when confronted with this method - over which author penned a book. She got angry and wanted to argue with me and when I offered to look it up she finally must have realized I might be right that she said she didn't want to take the time just then to find out. It was fine to argue about it until it finally made me mad enough to suggest looking it up. I had tried to give her the clue that she was wrong, but she just likes to be combative, so she didn't bother to think about what she had said. That's what Victor reminded me of. A petulant child. And Bert, while right, doesn't know how to say it without coming across as a know-it-all. Apparently the judges saw it Bert's way. At least that how it appeared.

The red outfit was my favorite, so I'm glad it won. I might have liked the chiffon outfit, but I hated those colors. I wonder if they came across better in person. Normally I love those colors together, but in different shades. I did love how that fabric flowed.

Also, agree with you Bearcata about Bryce. I've known plenty of self taught people, or people who only had lessons in jr. high that could sew perfectly well. He's so young and obviously thinks his education was superior. Here's what didn't make sense, once he knew she was having so much problems, and if he knew that it absolutely had to be cut on the grain he should have helped her more to get it cut right.

I still don't know why these clothes needed to be 'fashion forward' and not costumes since they're on stilts. For that matter Fallene's dress last week they complained about the color of it being out of style. It's not like she went to Mood and picked that color of fabric. She had to work with materials from a pet store. It seemed such an odd thing to say.
    AZChristian likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

All of these shows have unique contestants. Bert is a little older, and I think that makes the facets of his idiosyncrasies stand out a bit more.

What's funny is that, in many ways, his personality is like the dreaded Cathy Hobbs on Design Star. Kind of a know-it-all, doesn't seem to be willing to compromise much. The big difference for me, though, is that Bert is RIGHT about what he's saying when he holds firm to his opinions. Elizabethan IS the correct age for what Viktor was describing, etc. Maybe that's why Bert is so much more palatable to me than Cathy. And he's proven he can do what he says he can do - unlike Cathy who just talks (and shops).

And Bert is better looking, too.
    luvsginger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dantrb View Post
    Victor made a condescending remark/gesture when he gets paired up with Bert in front of everyone. He probably expected Bert to take it in strides just because he's an old fart. Well, what do you know. Bert is not taking sh%^ from Victor. I have no respect for people who are proud to be ignorant jerks.

Like you said, go to the challenge with a positive attitude, no matter what. Dissing your partners from the start is not the best step.

Like Nice Verreos said "Now Victor, go buy François Boucher’s “20,000 Years of Fashion: The History of Costume and Personal Adornment” and then talk. Don’t use the incorrect terminology and not expect to be clocked on it. OK"
    Ah, yes, I forgot to put that in my last post. I was totally turned off by Victor's attitude. Some of the other designers didn't like the partners that Heidi picked for them, but you only heard about it in voiceovers. That was just so disgusting to see Victor openly diss Burt like that. I'm glad Burt fought back and threw Victor under the bus. For once, somebody deserved to have that done to them. (BTW, who is Nice? Whoever they are, I like them. )

And yeah, Bryce was no choir boy, either. I was very unimpressed with his performance on the runway. My stars, these two are almost as bad as Wretchen and Hivy from last season. I was sad to see Fallene go, but since Burt is still around I hope he keeps fighting. He just gained some sympathy back from me.

And what is the point of having models wearing stilts? Do they do this all the time? I mean, they did it so well so they must have lots of experience. Do they do this for street performances? Otherwise, where in the world would they work? I didn't necessarily hate this challenge. I thought it had some great potential. However, I did think it was bizarre.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Fabric Grain - Understanding Fabric Grain - About Fabric Grain

Article about grain. Still don't understand why Bryce was so vocal about it. What did it do?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred View Post
    And what is the point of having models wearing stilts? Do they do this all the time? I mean, they did it so well so they must have lots of experience. Do they do this for street performances? Otherwise, where in the world would they work? I didn't necessarily hate this challenge. I thought it had some great potential. However, I did think it was bizarre.
    The stiltwalkers are from a professional entertainment troupe in NYC called "Lady Circus". I don't know why PR didn't explain that and give them some press. This challenge would have made a lot more sense if the designers had been told they had to create interesting and unique costumes for the Lady Circus show. As it was, there was absolutely no point to the challenge since no normal woman is going to be wearing a garment while walking around on stilts! It was a terrible challenge.
    Duckyface and AZChristian like this.
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Article about grain. Still don't understand why Bryce was so vocal about it. What did it do?
    If material isn't cut on the grain (for the pattern), then when it's sewed, it doesn't lie flat...it bunches and pulls, and it won't line up correctly at the seams. But he could have showed her how to cut on the grain...I remember how to do it, and I learned in 8th grade Home Economics (which was about 40+ years ago).

(Or are you asking something else?)

My God what a horrible episode was that. First of all i was sad to see sorry don't know her name, go. I thought she should have stayed over Bryce. Wat did he do?

I hated all the outfits maybe except for the winning one but why?
    When the first stilt walker came out I was shocked, she looked like a Lilliput on stilts. her proportions were so wrong it was scary.

Did not like Bryce and he was indeed the one who was very disrespectful to wards Bert from the get go.

I loved last week. its so much fun to see what they can make out of crazy stuff although a lot of designers let me down. I also did not agree with the winner last week. Thought the bird feed dress should have won.
    NFL1 and Duckyface like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast