+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 8/4 show discussion **WEST COAST SPOILERS**

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: 8/4 show discussion **WEST COAST SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden View Post
    I don't understand why Olivier's dress got so much judge love. The top was a pet bed--and a fairly boxy, unflattering cut--and the skirt made the model look bigger in the butt. What woman is going to want that kind of style? I also don't understand why Olivier is pronounced Oliver--what's the extra i in the last syllable for if no one's going to pronounce it? I'm really confused by his accent as well. I know I can inadvertently pick up a little trace of an accent when around people who have an accent different that the flat Midwestern sound with which I grew up, but he was sixteen before he went to England and then on to...was it Spain? Surely he had some kind of accent of his own before that. Can anyone who's more accomplished linguistically than I am figure out what the influences are there? I hear something that sounds a little British, but other than that, I'm lost.

Oh, and after last night, I'm waiting for a throwdown between Nina and Heidi. And could someone convince Lifetime not to wait until midnight CST for the second run of the episode? I can't watch the earlier one, and yet again this week, I fell asleep during judging and had to wait and watch the finish on-line. In the past, they've certainly not waited that long between the first and second showing, so to speak, and all they're showing in between are reruns of sitcoms.
    Totally agree on everything you've said about Olivier's dress. As far as the accent, I think it's from the land of Affectation.

Regarding falling asleep and missing the judging . . . I always hit the record button on my bedroom DVR while watching competition shows . . . that way I just have to fast forward to the judging the next day while getting dressed. Annoying, that whole falling asleep thing, isn't it?
    navybelle likes this.

FORT Fogey

I'm starting to think it's Michael Kors' voice. Both times, the last thing I remember hearing is Kors starting to comment on something.
    AZChristian likes this.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

My critiques...

Anthony:
    One of the better designs this week. The neckline is the winning part of the outfit. The bottom of the skirt could have used a little more thought. Perhaps a bit longer and with a few embellishments, it would have been better.

Anya:
    Hey, it’s Sonya Tayeh! I could so see her wearing this outfit one week on So You Think You Can Dance. If she had to choreograph a routine about Petland, it would probably involve dogs being tortured.

Becky:
    Becky’s model looks like she’s dating Toucan Sam. I get a craving for a bowl of Froot Loops looking at her.

Bert:
    Heidi was right when she said Bert was lucky he won immunity last week. He acted like a big baby about doing this challenge and designed an outfit for his model that looks like kiddie wear.

Bryce:
    This outfit might be kind of cool in Brazil. You could do the Pee Pee Pad Samba in it!

Cecilia:
    The shape of the outfit is actually nice but I don’t like the colors. For some reason, it makes me think of the Flintstones. I think Betty Rubble might have worn this a few times when visiting Wilma.

Danielle:
    I didn’t notice this outfit last night (probably since I was busy harvesting crops in Frontierville while watching the show) but after seeing the pictures, this is my favorite outfit of the week. It looks modern and looks like real clothes.

Fallene:
    On the show last night, I wasn’t so fond of this but it looks good in the pictures! Maybe it’s the type of outfit that looks good at a distance. Wear it on stage but not at the party after.

Joshua C.:
    Strange color combinations—green, pink, and purple? Perhaps with a different belt, this outfit would have been better.

Joshua M.:
    This was my favorite last night. I loved the color and vibrancy of the aquarium rocks. He did a great job of forming them into a pattern. I would have given him the win for sheer innovation.

Julie:
    Julie’s model is channeling Amy Winehouse. I think the model is hiding behind her bangs because she’s ashamed to be seen in this trainwreck of an outfit. She looks like she got wrapped up to be delivered by UPS and there was a horrible accident in the packing department.

Kimberly:
    Thank goodness Kimberly’s model escaped from the pirates and made it to the show, although she didn’t have time to completely remove the mooring line she was bound in.

Laura:
    The overall idea of this was good but I think the execution could have been better. The top looks too short. I would like for it to go up a bit higher. Also, I think she should have done either the strap at the neckline or the belt but not both. I would have keep the neckline strap because the belt looks too low on the skirt, breaking the look of it at an odd spot.

Olivier:
    I don’t know what the judges saw in this outfit. I hated it! The ridiculous eyebrows, the unflattering pouchy shirt, the bulging skirt that makes the model look miles around the hips, the oatmeal color of the whole ensemble. Atrocious!

Viktor:
    Very nice outfit. I could see girls going clubbing in this.
    dzigner likes this.

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Let me join in on the WTF moment when Oliver won. Seriously? It was, for all intents and purposes, FABRIC. And not even decent looking fabric like Bert used. I could see it used as trim, say on a collar or cuffs, but to do the entire shirt out of a nappy looking colorless rag is redonkulous!

Loved Becky's dress and my second favorite was a tie between Viktor and Fallene. Maybe her dress was a little Fall Festival, but autumn is my favorite time of year and I enjoy that color combination.

Thought the voluminous wee-wee dress should have been out, but I'm okay with Josh going home. It really had no out-of-the-box ideas at all, but I do give him credit for turning the umbrella around and not putting the dogs right upfront (in a "wow look at those puppies" moment!)
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

I would like it better if they'd start the season with a few regular challenges and THEN get to the funky materials challenges. I'd like to get a feel for the designers when they're using regular fabrics before forcing them to design outfits from non-clothes items.

And I agree that Lifetime shouldn't wait until after midnight to repeat the episode. In the past, I often rewatched the episode immediately after it ran because I missed the first part or just wanted to see it again. They should either do 2 runs of the episode back to back or put one show in between the repeat of the episode but don't wait so late to show the repeat! Some of us have to work so we can't be up all night watching and don't want to have to wait until the next day to watch a recording of the episode.
    Last edited by pikachu; 08-05-2011 at 10:56 AM.

Have these contestants not seen previous seasons of this show??? The biggest NO-NO is to use fabric on these challanges. Olivier's dress was fabric. You will have to excuse me but I don't know all of their names yet but the one who use the bright colored stones & black reptile covering...his skirt was see through.

Was in NYC last weekend & saw Parsons but couldn't find Mood Shopped at the Mother Ship of Fashion Macy's & bought absolutely nothing. Michael Kors is my fashion god but his pre-fall collection was fugly. It was mostly this funky kelly green with brown.

I liked Bert's LBD before he added the net frill. If he would have used those bright stones that dress would have been stunning but it appears since he had immunity he basically phoned this challenge in. I think that will be taken into consideration if he were ever in the final 3 again.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

FORT Fogey

Not only was the dog bed cover Olivier used fabric, but dog beds come in a lot more attractive, workable fabrics than that, at least for the type of top he constructed. Perhaps the fake sheep skin could have been used as a jacket lining or something like that, but as that top, it just didn't work (and I felt sorry for the model, because I bet it was hot and the hamster/rabbit bedding probably didn't smell the best either).

The biggest problem for that dress, however, was the silhouette. It made that thin model look at least fifteen to twenty pounds heavier than she was, which she might be able to afford but most women can't (and surely don't want). Between some of their top three choices this season--and the decision to include Wretchen's horrible line in their opening as an example, I guess, of terrific design--I'm wondering whom Michael and Nina actually think wear women's clothing. Surely not a real woman who has to, you know, move about and occasionally eats. Maybe that's why Heidi has found herself at odds with them. I know she's a model, but she looks like she might eat a meal now and then.
    AZChristian likes this.

I am so happy after reading this forum. I thought I was the only one who thought Oliver's dress was terrible. When the judges picked the top and bottom three I was happy - I really thought they had most of the choices right...and then they praised Oliver's dress :0 I did not understand that at all - it was a dog bed top that did not fit - when I saw her going down the runway I said he was going home. I can't believe they praised it - maybe it looked much better in person than on TV, but wow. Why didn't they criticize him for using a fabric and for it not fitting?
    I liked Bert last episode and in one week I know want him to go home and get over himself.
    AZChristian likes this.

Just for fun, I decided to try ranking the fashions from my favorite to my least favorite. I debated back and forth on first place and last place so if I did the rating again, I might switch 1st and 2nd place or 14th and 15th place but for now, this is how I ranked them:

1 Danielle: Most ready-to-wear
    2 Joshua M: Most innovative
    3 Anthony: Innovative but could use some tweaks
    4 Viktor: Good color and style
    5 Fallene: Good
    6 Laura: Needs some tweaking
    7 Anya: OK
    8 Kimberly: Messy, top could be better
    9 Joshua C.: Belt ruins it
    10 Cecilia: Bad color choices
    11 Becky: Colorful but costumey
    12 Bryce: Also costumey
    13 Bert: Gave up and it shows
    14 Olivier: Blah look and poor fit
    15 Julie: Trainwreck

My oh my, where on earth to begin? Some random notes...

Burt's attitude sucked. I have lost all my sympathy for him. For Pete's sake, he could have been setting a great example of on older person persevering through a hard challenge and at least trying to do well. Yes, he already had immunity, but he could have tried to rise to the challenge of trying to become a multiple winner and getting immunity again. Instead, he whined and didn't put in any effort. Now he's squandered the good will of his fellow contestants and judges. (Yes, I, too, believe the judges will remember this stunt in he ever makes it to the Top 3 again. Tim even warned Burt about that.)

I've also been wondering about Olivier. I'm here at my sister's, and we were just talking about him this morning. She thinks his parents maybe threw him out because he was artistic. I have no idea, but if not, then it seems weird that they would just let their high-school-age kid skip off to Europe like that. And yeah, I've also been wondering about his acccent. I lived in England for 3 years, and people will occasionally tell me that I sound faintly British, but for the most part I still sound thoroughly American. I believe I read somewhere before the show started that Olivier said he's affecting the accent. Whatever. And yes, his name. I've been pronouncing it "Oh-LIV-ee-ay," as in Sir Laurence Olivier, the famous actor. Now that I'm in the habit, I'm not going to stop.

Ok, to the fashions.

Well, the honeymoon is over. I disagreed with the judges this week. How in the heck could Nina consider Olivier's dress sexy? When that model came down the runway, the first thing I thought was, "Is she heading off to Mongolia or the Arctic? That's a parka, not a blouse!" (I belive Michael even called it "a sherpa blouse.") And my sister said this morning, "The outfit looked like oatmeal! What woman wants to wear oatmeal?!" Sheesh, people. Also, great points about the dog bedding being a material, and how a dog's bed can look better than that. It reminded me of how a few years ago we had a dog whose bed was a lovely plaid. This outfit was just blah in every sense.

The birdseed outfit was really creative, so kudos to Heidi for fighting on Anthony's behalf. Personally, though, I liked Joshua M.'s aquarium outfit the best, but that's just because I love bright colors. (I would have loved Becky's dress for the same reason, but it looked kind of cheesy being all feathers.) The birdseed skirt needed to be longer, but I thought that Joshua M. got it perfect with his skirt.

I felt sorry for Joshua C. Yes, he used material, but it was still unconventional. Who thinks of wearing their umbrella? I actually thoght this outfit was kind of pretty. Bryce's outfit was worse, IMO. The color was pretty, but that skirt looked like a package of toilet paper had exploded, and Kors was right that having two different textures in the skirt and blouse made them look as if they were fighting each other. Finally, as my sister pointed out, the blouse wasn't even fitted well.

Credit where it's due, I thought Anya's rope blouse looked good. Also, Viktor is once again my unsung hero. I loved the color of his dress and thought it was one of the best there, since it was one of the most wearable. Once again, high fashion collides with the real world, and fashion wins.
    Last edited by Babbred; 08-05-2011 at 01:44 PM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast