+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anthony Ryan Auld - Season 9

Anthony Ryan Auld - Season 9

Anthony Ryan Auld
    Season 9 Designer

Age 28, Baton Rouge, LA

Current occupation: Retail, until Wednesday, June 9, when I said goodbye in pursuit of bigger and better things!

Past jobs: All my past jobs were retail, except for my job as a paid intern at BCBG in the summer of 2010.

Favorite designer(s): Marc Jacobs, Alexander McQueen, Karl Lagerfeld

Training: I received a Bachelor of Arts in fashion design, with a minor in business, from Louisiana State University in 2010.

What is a fashion must?
    For women, a great pair of high heels and a killer clutch. For men, a great printed bow or skinny tie and a dark pair of skinny or straight-legged jeans.

What celebrity would you like to design for?
    Angelina Jolie -- a red-carpet dress for the Oscars, or simply a traveling outfit for one of her many worldwide humanitarian projects.

If you weren't designing, you'd be...
    Still working in the art field. I love painting and redesigning furniture.

Favorite past PR designers: Christian Siriano

PR challenge you hope they bring back: The fabric design challenge.

PR challenge you hope they don't bring back: The plus-size challenge, just because I don't have much experience with plus-size fashion.

Why do you think you will win Project Runway?
    I feel like I have the ability to bridge the gap between wearable clothing and beautiful and/or edgy runway fashion.

Project Runway Season 9 Designers | myLifetime.com

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Re: Anthony Ryan Auld - Season 9

Second favorite early in the season (along with Becky). Will be watching to see how he goes about picking out fabric at Mood.
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

Definitely my favorite right now. Plus, he's a hometown boy, so how can I not root for him?

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

He's is going to be on the local CBS morning news show Monday commenting on Emmy fashions. I've got it set to record (no time for watching tv in the morning for me). I'm crossing my fingers for one good Project Runway story.

FORT Fogey

Does anyone know how it is anyone who is color blind can piece colors together in a meaningful way? I don't understand the logistics of that works.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I keep forgetting that he's color blind. I recorded him on the local news talking Emmy fashion and he was going on about how many lovely red dresses were there when the host mentioned his colorblindness. I really wish she would have asked him how he knew the dresses were red. BTW, it was crazy how nervous he was on camera, though it could have been the early hour. I'd be no good to be on TV at 7 a.m.

My BFF's husband is color blind. She says most people are color bind with certain colors like blue/yellow and red/green. He is color blind with blues. Another friend is color blind with blues also. Mostly men are color blind and only a few women.
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by mandmmom2 View Post
    My BFF's husband is color blind. She says most people are color bind with certain colors like blue/yellow and red/green. He is color blind with blues. Another friend is color blind with blues also. Mostly men are color blind and only a few women.
    Thank you! I Googled a bit and came up with similar info.

Here's the scoop on color deficiency (because the actual percentage of those who are really colorblind...monochromatic... is something like 0.00001%):

We teach kids their colors *before* we know that they're color deficient, because they can't be tested until they a) know their numbers (or shapes or letters) and b) can speak. People who are color deficient can see colors...they just see a different range from those who aren't color deficient. So my husband (who is color deficient) knows when I'm wearing a red shirt, but what he sees as red doesn't match what I see as red. (And studies have shown that all of us have our own perceptions of a color. So even though we can all identify something as "red", we all see it in different ways.)

If certain colors are too close together, then someone who is color deficient can't identify any of them. For example, my husband can't identify red when it's right next to pink...it looks orange to him.

It's still pretty amazing at how good a job Anthony Ryan does...my hubby designs websites and someone has to identify the colors he should be using because color pickers always have a slew of colors right next to one another. I imagine that being in a fabric store would be a similar situation. But as long as there is good contrast between the colors, just about anyone can see the individual pieces. (For example, black on white or white on black have the highest color contrast. Especially problematic is green on red or yellow on green. Weirdly enough, yellow on blue is also a good color combo.)

BTW, there are lots of websites out there that can apply filters to show you what a color-deficient person sees when looking at the same picture. However, those people don't know that they see those colors ;-) It all depends on how the colors were mapped in their brains when they were little.

+ Reply to Thread