+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Bert Keeter - Season 9

Bert Keeter - Season 9

Bert Keeter
    Season 9 Designer

Age 57, Los Angeles, CA

Current occupation: Fashion designer. I also freelance, helping a photographer

Past jobs: I worked at Holly Harp, Bill Blass, Arnold Scaasi and Halston.

Favorite designer(s): Ones that show on the runway what they actually sell and don't rely on their licenses of handbags, eyewear, shoes, etc. to keep them in business.

Training: I attended Parsons School for Design and the New School in NYC from 1975-1977, studying fashion design.

What was the first garment you ever made?
    Don't remember -- probably a children's design at Parsons.

What is a fashion must?
    Good taste!

What celebrity would you like to design for?
    Oprah Winfrey . an amazing gown in a vibrant color.

If you weren't designing, you'd be...
    Doing something I'm not good at!

Favorite past PR designers: Sweet P.

PR challenge you hope they bring back: Designs inspired by art!

PR challenge you hope they don't bring back: Anything to do with the contestants designing for other contestants!

Why do you think you will win Project Runway?
    I enjoy working "outside the box" with challenges, I keep an open and upbeat attitude even when being critiqued, and I am a quick study with design concepts.

Project Runway Season 9 Designers | myLifetime.com

Re: Bert Keeter - Season 9

I'm sure he's going to end up a deer in the headlights, but I have to give him props for being the only one to name Sweet P as his favorite past PR designer.
    Shoepie likes this.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

Maybe he's just getting a bad edit but he seems like he doesn't work well with others and he doesn't deal with any kind of frustration well. He also doesn't really seem to have an open and upbeat attitude but again could just be the edit.

FORT Fogey

I love all his work so far except for the pet store challenge. He (or Becky?) mentioned that the season is clique-y and that the "cool" kids do not want to play with others. And maybe it's a generation-gap thing, too.

FORT Fogey

The last sentence in is bio is curious. We have not seen this side of him! He cannot blame editing. He is sour.

FORT Fogey

Bert is sour, isn't he? Recent inteviews tell me that he sort of gets it and that he knows he needs to work on it so I cut him a ton of slack. I generally support just about anyone who makes an effort at self-improvement.

And, the interviews of some of the others have been far less critical.

I think he is a good designer and I like that two of the stronger designers said they liked his work last week, i.e. the one that all the judges except for Heidi disliked.

Bert had me laughing quite a bit on last night episode. It was nice to see him in such a delightful mood and interact well with the others for once.
    Allie and jucamer like this.

Didn't the judges mention on one ep that he didn't get along with others? Maybe he was told that and is trying to adjust his personality as well as his designs. He seems to try and listen to what they have to say. I kind of like him as a designer and hope he is in the top 3.

FORT Fogey

I love that he likes Sweet P. She was one of my favorites and I've heard her name pop up favorably from notable sources. She seems pretty well respected.

I also like that of all the designers from all the seasons that I can remember, Bert gets the retail nature of this gig. It's a business as much as it is an art form and most of the other designers seem to forget this point or completely disregard it in favor of producing "art" (Joshua comes to mind this season). And still others just can't design well with retail in mind (Laura's black 70's outfit).

Quote Originally Posted by Allie View Post
    Didn't the judges mention on one ep that he didn't get along with others? Maybe he was told that and is trying to adjust his personality as well as his designs. He seems to try and listen to what they have to say. I kind of like him as a designer and hope he is in the top 3.
    I think that particular episode that it might not have been him or just him, because was several designers, including either AR or Josh because of the under the bus comments about Bert. I think that was the print design/create your own runway challenge.

Bert - I like him to a point. He's one of the few who takes criticism well, and unlike say last season's winner, knows how to go retro and make it at least interesting and somewhat glamorous.

I still say though that out of ALL the "Charlie's Angels" he could reference, he chose Shelley Hack, who is seen as one of the least popular (more the show's fault than her's IMHO - I felt she got Kate Jackson's lines for a totally different personality). He still did a good job though.

I just hope they do get out of the '70s comfort zone so Bert can try these really neat ideas on a more modern level.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast