+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 10/28 show discussion **SPOILERS**

FORT Fogey

Re: 10/28 show discussion **SPOILERS**

I'll bet the folks over at Bravo are loving a Gretchen win over fan-favorite Mondo on the heals of Yitzke M's show.

I wonder how many more people will be watching The Fashion Show on Bravo due to the Gretchen win on Project Runway. Even I am tempted.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I'm late to the party...but I'm glad to see a winner who didn't use plaid in a bright colour

Jeffrey had that bright yellow plaid, and with Seth Aaron it was all about black/white houndstooth....and then Mondo showed those AWFUL black/white pants!

I didn't really care for Gretchen's clothes, but I did appreciate that they weren't "edgy".
    Jade needs to get laid - Nigel Barker

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by maret81;4102267;
    I'm late to the party...but I'm glad to see a winner who didn't use plaid in a bright colour

Jeffrey had that bright yellow plaid, and with Seth Aaron it was all about black/white houndstooth....and then Mondo showed those AWFUL black/white pants!

I didn't really care for Gretchen's clothes, but I did appreciate that they weren't "edgy".
    I'm still on the fence about the whole thing. I like both Gretchen's and Mondo's work, but I think Mondo sort of blew it for the finale. He *could* have won if he kept up with some of his earlier more colorful designs.

It was an apples to oranges comparison, and if there were ever a case for a tie, this would be it, in my very humble opinion.

I'm not fond of Gretchen's clothes mind you, but to me it's the fact she didn't take criticism well, that she even said she was tired of challenges to the judges and the like and yet was not eliminated for either of those things, made boring and frankly current trend clothing in the final runway, yet STILL won that has me bugged.

You can be sure that if anyone else said that this season they'd been eliminated. Mondo alone was dinged in the Klum athletic wear contest because he argued with Heidi. (I think there the designs between he and Andy were equal, but Andy got the edge here for that reason IMHO).

I can understand maret too about the Merits of "non-edgy" clothing, but even Gretchen's wasn't that non-edgy glamour. It was boring, IMHO dated and worse, had clothing no one - unless they wanted a label put on them that wasn't nice, would wear those "granny-panties" in public unless it was to swim in.

When I think of non-edgy glamour, I think of LeeAnn (I think this is the name of the winner in Korto's season), Korto herself, Carol Hannah, Mila - to a point (some of her stuff was edgy), Emilio, etc. They had style, class, glamour, and were NOT dated stuff like what Gretchen put in there.

What Gretchen did would be tantamount to me on the jewelry front of putting in several designs of silver rough "urban" necklaces or simple diachroic pendants of one or two colors and bracelets that are just one color. There's no "wow" factor if you just put one color and one piece of clear glass and fire it, and the silver urban necklaces are dated now.

Yeah, I may "win" a competition, but I didn't bring anything new and innovative - and that's where Gretchen's designs pale in comparison to either of the final two designers. Andy did lose that edge that made him stand out by softening his designs, but I actually think he did better by showing his softer side. Even he sold more of his final looks over Gretchen, and his was panned by quite a few.

Michael C.'s designs were soft, lovely, and more importantly, fashion forward.

I thin Mondo not listening to the two "elite" judges and keeping out his black dress was what lost it for him. Fashion-wise, he won hands down, even without all the colors. Even Andy should've won over Gretchen.

There was something really up with Gretchen winning... I don't always say this for a show, but after the incident known as "Manhunt," I'm willing to question decisions here.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4102428;
    There was something really up with Gretchen winning... I don't always say this for a show, but after the incident known as "Manhunt," I'm willing to question decisions here.
    I think the new network wanted a more retail look to win this year. And being a woman helped as well. I'm disappointed she won, but I have to admit her line looked much better on the runway than in static pictures (but I still hate the bloomers no matter what, even if other designers are doing them as well). Don't think it was fashion-forward but more fashion now. She did say she takes inspiration from street fashion. I thought she should have been out a while ago and not made the final, but it's the judges decision. I would have picked Mondo or one of the non-final three designers to win frankly.

And I have no idea about the Manhunt incident. I know it was a TV show, but that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;4103290;
    I think the new network wanted a more retail look to win this year. And being a woman helped as well. I'm disappointed she won, but I have to admit her line looked much better on the runway than in static pictures (but I still hate the bloomers no matter what, even if other designers are doing them as well). Don't think it was fashion-forward but more fashion now. She did say she takes inspiration from street fashion. I thought she should have been out a while ago and not made the final, but it's the judges decision. I would have picked Mondo or one of the non-final three designers to win frankly.

And I have no idea about the Manhunt incident. I know it was a TV show, but that's all.
    Same assessment of Gretchen's win - save I don't think the outfits looked any better in motion save possibly the jewelry (and there, again, it'd sell only in a much smaller size).

My burr still remains that she actually told the judges in effect she didn't want to compete anymore with the "I'm sick of challenges" comment, which you do have to do in order to win, yet instead of eliminating her for it, they let her continue and win. I can assure you if anyone else said it, even Mondo, they'd been out.

"Manhunt" - short version - had allegations of changing the outcome of the series. Supposedly they didn't like the winner winning, so they refilmed the game using the same people to get the outcome they wanted.

While it's obvious that this isn't the case here = a refilming of the outcome, I do think production really wanted Gretchen to win and she'd had to have NO design come down the runway at any challenge to have to be eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4100148;

That said, I think what disappointed me more about Gretchen winning was not just that I felt her runway was weak, but that she actually TOLD the judges she was sick of challenges, yet she stayed over someone who would've sewn with a blindfold and walking on a tightrope walker that week.

When she said she was sick of challenges, I thought of McKell who was eliminated after that first design challenge to be one of the "finalists" (even though IMHO she was one because she designed SOMETHING for the show) who again would've leaped through hoops to make it past that first challenge.

The fact she said something that would've been the kiss of death for just about every designer (and yes, I even include Mondo and Andy), she stayed.

In my analysis of the show the MOMENT she stayed in spite of saying that (never mind the not taking criticism well part), I had a feeling she'd be the winner, even if I was hoping not. That was the moment I questioned what was going on with the show.

Hopefully next season this doesn't happen, and those who WANT to be there and would do the challenges and do them well will stay over someone who says they are sick of them and do mediochre work on top of it.

Pretty much sums it up for me. And no, that does not make me a Gretchen-hater. I hate lousy attitudes and stupidity like the judge's decisions, not people.

As for Tim Gunn's comments, I agree that it is possible not to agree with a decision but still be nice to the person. That doesn't make you a hypocrite, that makes you a decent human being.

I forgot--somebody upthread talked about how once Gretchen's "posse" was eliminated, she turned nice because she was isolated. Thank you for saying that. I was thinking that as the season progressed.
    Last edited by Babbred; 11-11-2010 at 05:42 PM.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4102083;
    I wonder how many more people will be watching The Fashion Show on Bravo due to the Gretchen win on Project Runway. Even I am tempted.

That would be me. I will give PR another chance, but if I see one hint of another Wretchen/Hivy brewing, then that's it. I'm out of there. In the meantime, I'm really enjoying TFS. I even started a thread about it.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

I have to say, I disliked Gretchen for most of the season (I started liking her when she changed her tune about Michael C. and wouldn't get into Ivy's drama when the eliminated contestants returned). But I liked her final collection. I wish it had been a little more dramatic, but I would have worn many of those looks.

I did not like Andy's, and I had been rooting for Mondo. But I did agree with some of the judge's comments. While Mondo's, like Seth Aaron's last season, was fun, edgy, and full of drama, I did find a maturity in SA's that I didn't see in Mondo's. Those skull bags showed amazing craftsmanship, but I would never wear one. I got what the judges were saying. No, it's not good for clothes to look matronly, but that doesn't mean they have to be for teens.

I also don't think this is an example of high fashion versus ready to wear. I felt a lot of Mondo's material was RTW, unlike, say, his gorgeous avante garde design he did during one of the challenges. As Heidi pointed out, many of his pieces could go straight to the stores - the polka dot tops, the 11th look skirt, etc.

When they said Gretchen is on trend, I don't think that meant she was copying things that were already out there. Looking at what has been on the runway since, and during that fashion week - I hate bloomers, but they're big; mixing neutrals of different textures; 1970s prints and silhouettes are very in. But I saw Gretchen's style and her take on some of these concepts.

I also thought her accessories were fantastic - her bags, hats, and jewelry. They weren't campy; they went with and completed the looks. She made many of these.

The judges seem to like it when the designer has a particular girl in mind. I have noticed this since Jay McCarroll's win in Season 1 - that was the only finalist that gave me an image of the girl he was designing for through the clothes and the styling. I've seen that in Christian Siriano, Irina, Seth Aaron, and in Gretchen's as well. (I didn't with Chloe or Leeanne, and only sort of with Jeffrey.) The attitude warmed me a bit to the collection as well.

Regardless, I can't imagine anything that would make me stop watching this show. I thought this was a fantastic season. I definitely cried on more than one episode, too (usually because of Mondo). Bring on Season 9.

+ Reply to Thread