+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 10/28 show discussion **SPOILERS**

Re: 10/28 show discussion **SPOILERS**

Tim said he didn't think Gretchen would win due to the fact that no one who has won the first challenge has ever won the title. Just a factual statement, nothing more or less.

I value Tim's opinion as much as I value him on this show. It was very clear early on, before the season aired, that things did not go well in his estimation regarding certain issues. I believe if Tim left the show there would be a lot of people who wouldn't bother watching, myself included.

Both Nina and Michael went completely against what the show is about, finding the next and newest designer. The show has never, ever been about who is commercial and can produce a RTW line. In fact, that was their issue with Emilio, Laura Bennet, Ullie, etc., which is why none of them won. Now all the sudden it's about what's current and trendy and what will sell??

Sorry, but I don't get it.

People who dislike Gretchen's designes are not haters, they just don't like her clothing. Her attitude was superior and patronizing throughout the entire show, which I did not like either.

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;4096535;
    Both Nina and Michael went completely against what the show is about, finding the next and newest designer. The show has never, ever been about who is commercial and can produce a RTW line. In fact, that was their issue with Emilio, Laura Bennet, Ullie, etc., which is why none of them won. Now all the sudden it's about what's current and trendy and what will sell??
    I didn't see Laura or Ullie, but I do remember Emilio's being a nice "line," though yes, he could argue it was a collection. Thing is, all of theirs IMHO were better than Gretchen, but in Emilio's case, he was beaten by a slightly better designer (that had to be a close vote - they both were VERY good IMHO - even that washer bikini was inspired, even if poorly made).

Sorry, but I don't get it.
    Welcome to the club.

People who dislike Gretchen's designes are not haters, they just don't like her clothing. Her attitude was superior and patronizing throughout the entire show, which I did not like either.
    This is the way I feel - I hate the choice made that she won, but I don't hate her or Nina and Michael, just the decisions. They were horrible, and really, truly make people wonder what N&M were thinking.

For all intents and purposes, at least Gretchen was Gretchen. Nina and Michael were NOT the same ones I've seen since I've been able to watch the show (since it went to Lifetime).

RE: Tim's comments on Gretchen winning and saying he didn't think he'd win because he won the first challenge

That is how I took it. He said that the people who win the first challenge never win. So Gretchen isn't going to win because she won the first challenge. He was commenting on the pattern.

And I don't think that senility is something to joke about or say just because he was nice to Gretchen when she won. It wasn't wrong for him to tell her well deserved, nor was it wrong for Gretchen OR Michael C to compliment and try to play nice when they did on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by watts;4096149;
    Grandpa's showing his senility. When Gretchen won, he said "much deserved". So he didn't really mean it (such a hypocrite). And one of his arguments for why Gretchen should not have won was because she won the 1st challenge. Unbelievable! Grandpa's lost it.
    No offense, Watts
    but Tim's not that old even tho is hair is white. I also think that Tim is such a gracious and kind man that he may say something that he doesn't 100% believe in but it is what it is so he's dealing with it and not making Gretchen feel bad about her win. I find that admirable rather than hypocritical. Gretchen is an excellent designer but, to me & others, just not as good as Mondo.

Quote Originally Posted by watts;4096183;
    Exactly. So when Gretchen tells other designers nice things about their designs, she's just being civil. That's called double standard.
    Gretchen had nothing good to say in the begining about the other designers while she still had her "posse," surrounding her. (oh, my, listen to me, the old lady, saying things like posse!!)
    Once they left, one by one, she had to change her attitude towards the remaining designers or be ostracized. She did a lot of quick dancing there towards the end to not be seen as the villian.

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;4096535;
    YOur statement that I bolded, ASassyKat, is so true!!
    Once again, we're being told to admire the Emperor's new clothes. The truth is Gretchen's can't be the next NEW trend because Boho's been done to death. Mondo's creations were the only thing we, the people, have not seen being done before and because of that, some of us were even a little uncomfortable with them, yet we saw great creativity. Gretchen is a re-run and Mondo (and Andy) are First-runs.
    Last edited by Dragonlady; 11-03-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by watts;4096183;
    Exactly. So when Gretchen tells other designers nice things about their designs, she's just being civil. That's called double standard.
    You can not like someone's designs and still find something positive to say. You can not like someone yet still find something about them that you like. That is not a double standard that is being able to get above being petty and see the whole picture.

As a bit of a side note I have noticed over on the Just Desserts thread that posters are hoping that the chefs who they like will win and are not going by who made the best desserts. The same here. While I don't mind Gretchen's comments, although it seemed she was the only one making any, and I didn't particularly care about her one way or the other, I didn't like her design esthetic or what she made. I wouldn't have minded her win if her clothes deserved to win. Her collection certainly didn't speak to me and I would never buy it. Similiar feelings toward Emilio Sossa during his season. I didn't like him and he was hard to like, but I didn't think his clothes were all that and he should have been eliminated for his horrible washer bikini.

PS: the best thing about Gretchen's collection is what she wore herself. That was interesting. If she had played off that I think she would have had a better collection.

I was over on YouTube watching some of the Tim Gunn videos. I love you Tim. I am glad I got a little background info about the judges decisions.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4097186;
    PS: the best thing about Gretchen's collection is what she wore herself. That was interesting. If she had played off that I think she would have had a better collection.
    I'm glad you brought that up - I'd love to know who did her dress. If she did that, then I have to ask WHY she chose to have an ugly collection instead of creativity like that?

Yes, I think it actually looked good on her and had she made the dress and did a collection based on that idea in color? - I wouldn't be as upset with her winning. Would rather Mondo win yes, but at least Gretchen would've earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4097725;
    I'm glad you brought that up - I'd love to know who did her dress. If she did that, then I have to ask WHY she chose to have an ugly collection instead of creativity like that?

Yes, I think it actually looked good on her and had she made the dress and did a collection based on that idea in color? - I wouldn't be as upset with her winning. Would rather Mondo win yes, but at least Gretchen would've earned it.

I totally agree with you here. I liked the dress she wore at the runway show. I have a feeling she may have made it because of the granny pants she wore under it was a theme in her show. The see through black reminded me of April's work. A collaboration? an idea that sparked? I wonder if anyone knows who made Gretchen's runway dress? If it was Gretchen I would always wonder what a great collection she could have created using that dress as a baseline.

Read Gretchen's interview in the TV Guide. Not impressed. It came across as if she really calculated the way her character would appear in the show. Oh....she isn't surprised she won because she visulized it. Mondo on the other hand was shocked he lost. Well, so was I. Still I would not be surprised if he already had a couple of job offers.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I just watched the finale last night. I thought Gretchen's designs were....way too similar....it seemed the dresses hung the same, etc. And what is up with the g'ma panties that Gretchen and Andi did....more than one model had on!?!?!?

Mondo should have won...
    "Where you are today is where your mind put you. Where you'll be tomorrow is where your mind puts you." Billy Banks

I definitely think Mondo should've won...but I actually kind of liked Gretchen's line. I didn't care for her personally (at least the "TV" her we saw), and Mondo's line was much more creative, original and had more variety, but Grtetchen's line wasn't as bad as I was prepared for. I wonder if the move towards more ready-to-wear comes from Life Time and their idea of what their audience is looking for, or is it really a switch on Nina's and Michael's part? As for Mondo's polka dot dress - if I had the figure for ir I'd wear it in a heart beat!! I'm with Heidi on that one...love it!! But you do pretty well have to have a runway body to wear it. Fabulous as it is, it is not a dress the average woman could pull off.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

The thing is, Christopher was criticized and sent packing because the judges said his designs were clothing, not fashion. I think the same could be true of Gretchen's line. Another poster (sorry, I forget who) described Gretchen's collection as clothes you'd find at Kohl's. To me, that describes her clothes perfectly (and I like Kohl's, but I don't think that's what the stated purposed of the show is, and from the majority of comments here, I don't think that's what viewers want to see. If I wanted to see Kohl's-type clothes, I'd go to Kohl's.

+ Reply to Thread