+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 10/28 show discussion **SPOILERS**

Re: 10/28 show discussion **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred;4094361;
    This past week at my school it was Spirit Week, and one day was "Mix and Match Day." I wore a hounds-tooth blouse with gold-checked pants to get into the spirit. At first I was self-conscious, but then a co-worker told me "Hey, you're just being fashionable!" I laughed and said, "I'm just imitating my favorite designer, Mondo!" You know what? Both of those pieces were bought at "ordinary" places like JCP or Target.
    That's cool - I've gotten the same thing with my mixed print diachroic glass pendant and bracelet. Admittedly, I've been wearing my jewelry with solids and jeans, but still - the compliments are quite nice.

There is something new and trendy coming out with the mixed prints thing - Mondo has started a new trend I think, even if it's not necessarily his clothes line, but just the idea of using mixed prints and solids to get a lovely set of clothes.

I've yet to see - at least my neck of the woods, anyone who's following Gretchen's style, and I live where southwest and western attire is the norm.

Kao

I'm probably in the demographic group that Gretchen is designing for (earthy, boho, artistic, etc) and with the exception of the last dress that went down the runway and the first one she presented to the judges when she was up against Michael I cannot see myself wearing any of those clothes. Wanted to like them; didn't. IMO, browns should be warm, luscious and complemented by other colors (ie: sage, burnt sienna, etc) to make them pop. Her color palette was extremely drab and depressing. She also seems like she can't design for women who have breasts.

This was a tough one for me.

On one hand I think Mondo is the FAR superior designer. Everything he makes is interesting. No exceptions.

On the other hand, I found myself surprised that Gretchen's show outfits were much better than I'd been expecting. In my opinion, far better than most of the outfits she did during the season--even the ones she "won" for.

Gretchen is an annoying person its hard to like. And Mondo outclasses her. That said, I'd have trouble calling this anything like the worst moment in P.R. history, or any statement like that, because in my opinion Gretchen's actual collection wasn't a tragedy. She deserved second, at the very least--so its not like the worst of the three won or anything like that.

In terms of individual pieces, I'd actually argue that third place Andy had a few pieces which were possibly better than some of Mondo's collection, and most of Gretchen's. But he also had some dreadful stuff. Gretchen was at least consistent.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

After re-watching the finale judging, what really irritates me about the outcome is not that Gretchen won, but that somehow Nina and Michael moved this show to a ready-to-wear show. Fashion Week is about showing the crazy stuff of a line that will be tweaked for different levels of stores, not showing stuff that will roll off the runway to the wrack at the local Macy's. It's not that there's something wrong with the department store level of design inherently, but that's not what this show has been about. Would Christian's line work at anything but a high-fashion shop? I don't think so--perhaps an odd piece here or there, but not his whole line.

I don't begrudge Gretchen her win; she is an excellent constructionist and if she'd veered out of her color scheme a bit, I might have liked some of her pieces. I did not like the jewelry--it was sergeant ranking pointing the wrong way to me. If granny panties are the new trend, count me out. It's just like leggings, crocs, Uggs, and all that hot mess--it may be comfortable to some but it looks good on less than 1% of the population. But some of her details, like the shoulder work on one dress was interesting and fresh.

But, inasmuch as I loved Mondo, I don't think he should have won either. His collection was repetitive and derivative. Andy's was interesting, but not a winner either for me. I kind of wish they had more time to do their collections, because I think all three of them could have done a better job.

Really though, this show lost me last season when one of the guest judges railed against ruffles and booted whomever (can't remember...can't bother to look it up) did ruffles. The damn ruffles are everywhere!

IN JAIL, WONDERING WHERE MY KLONDIKE BAR IS!?...

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred;4094358;
    I wouldn't be caught dead in them, either. There's fashion and there's taste. Sometimes the two are not the same.

And, while I didn't like Gretchen's attitude, what really, really gets my "knickers in a twist" about her win is how it completely contradicts everything the judges have said in the past.

--"Clothes for all ages" Casanova was specifically eliminated because they said his blouse (which I thought was lovely and would totally wear) was for older women. Paige was also criticized for this. In fact, for the past several seasons the judges have made it clear that they are aiming for the 20-something market.

--"Ready to go to market" This is the one that just kills me. Somebody mentioned Emilio. Hello?? Last season he didn't win precisely because the judges said he was too casual, too ready-to-wear. In fact, I can hear Nina's voice now: "You created a line, not a collection." RTW has always been afterthought for this show, something they throw in for those "two-outfit" challenges. Since I started watching in Season 2 they have always made it clear this was supposed to be a couture fashion show, not about what the "ordinary woman" wanted. That's why ordinary women like me watched! We got to see glamorous fashions we would probably never see otherwise and fantasize about wearing them. And now they turn around and tell Wretchen how wonderful she is because evidently she has a line ready to go for JCP or wherever they think ordinary women are going to buy her stuff. Poor Emnilio must be hopping mad right now.

--"Current trends" Oh, please. It doesn't take any courage to copy a current trend. As others have said, "fashion is supposed to be forward", it's supposed to shape what women want, not show them what's already out there.

--And as Butterfly pointed out, April was criticized (rightly, IMO) for her diaper, and then Wretchen gets fawned over despite (because?) she has three of them. Could there be any more blatant contradiction? April should also be cheesed off.

Speaking of which, that's why didn't have an all-out reunion show. Imagine the mud-wrestling match that would have turned into.

People pooh-poohed me last time when I mentioned a conspiracy. I began to doubt myself. Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it really was nothing but bad judging. I'm sorry, but now I'm back to my original opinion. I couldn't agree more with those who say this has Lifetime written all over it. Poor woman victimized by BF, no home, no money, everybody says she has no talent, triumphs over two men the everybody had crowned the winners. If this hadn't of been PR, it would have been a Lifetime movie.

I was totally naive. I honestly thought Mondo had a clear chance to win, or at least that Andy would. Well, I hate to be taken advantage of. Could somebody drop me a line about that other fashion show on Bravo? 'Cause now that my show has been ruined, I'm going back "home".
    I am with you sister! I said pretty much the same thing in the thread from part one of the finale. I can't tell you how disapointed I am about the last 3 seasons of PR (which has been my fave show since season 1). It's such a shame that the beautiful fashions of the future have been cast aside for a watered down ready to wear "collection" that IMO lacks vision as well as visual interest (I am kinda boho chic myself, so I am well aquainted with the asthetic). Visual interest in the boho look comes from color and the way it is used as well as textures being mixed and matched. That's what keeps it interesting and different from other styles. I look for those qualities that keep even something simple fresh and exciting. sigh*
    I guess I will see you on Bravo Babbred!
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 10-31-2010 at 06:36 AM.
    "YOU BREATH THE SAME AIR THE BILLIONAIRES DO" Russell Simmons

"We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give." Winston Chruchill

1. As far as a reunion show, that sucked. I felt I really didn't get any questions answered. Cheap shot.

2. What I don't understand is that the judges eliminated Michael C because his collection was all one palette, copper yet Andy was all silver grey with a touch of green, Gretchen was all brown and the same print over and over and Mondo was a lot of black and white. What the duh, It just seems rather contradictory.

3. When I checked out the spoiler thread out a couple of weeks ago and saw the collections of the 10 designers who showed at fashion week I was really surprised to see that I really liked, Ivy's, Valerie's, Michael C's and Mondo's collections. They photographed very well. While Gretchen's and Andy's didn't really look that good. What surprised me was that Gretchen's and Andy's collections looked much better on TV then the photo's.

4. While it was nice to see the extended judges discussion on who the winner was, I would like to know how Nina and Michael convinced Jessica and Heidi Klum to change their minds and vote Gretchen.

5. Mondo Rules.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

MONDO WAS ROBBED!

Gretchen shouldn't have even made it to FW. The fact that she won makes it even worse.
    Puke. :
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;4093248;

I need take another look at Gretchen's collection. I have my glass of wine now, so I'm ready.
    There's not enough wine in the world to make that crap look good.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I'm so bummed out about the outcome of PR - again!! I have been disappointed in the winner so many times! It's very frustrating!

Michael Kors is an a**hole! I hate how he treated Heidi and even Jessica Simpson ("hello!") to try and bully them into picking Gretchen as the winner. I wish Heidi had pulled rank and picked Mondo anyway. Michael Kors is totally expendable! I didn't even know who he was until this show. Heidi could replace him in about 30 seconds and get a better judge. Nina is stupid and has no idea about what real women want to wear.

Gretchen's old lady clothes are not the up and coming style - give me a break!

UGH!!! I just watched the finale...I can't believe Gretchen won! Her collection looked like something my aunt would pick up at JC Pennys....YAWN!!!!
    I agree Mondo was robbed but he won't be forgotten, he has a great future ahead of him....I doubt we will be hearing about Gretchen and her mullet hair soon.

GOOD LUCK TO MONDO IN HIS FUTURE ENDEAVORS!!!

+ Reply to Thread