+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 10/28 show discussion **SPOILERS**

Re: 10/28 show discussion **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by nycblond;4094017;
    Oh, and one more thing!

In terms of the 'bloomers' (aka Granny Panties) - check out Acne's S/S 2011 collection. They're back!!! (Edie Sedgwick used to wear these in the 60's/70's) They're on trend (as much as they wouldn't look good on me) and in NYC, very fashion-forward. I have seen them on several gorgeous women strolling down the LES. That's hipster/trendy for you.
    I saw another collection that had the bloomers in them: Margaret Howell Ready-To-Wear show. I guess I don't expect an entire collection of ready-to-wear from Project Runway. In the past that has been a thumbs down. I still don't like the bloomers, but I thought that Howell's model looked better in them.

I guess would like to see something fashion-forward that already ISN'T being worn already from a design show winner.

But I did like two of G's dresses as they moved down the runway. But being 4-11, I would look horrid in them. And I wouldn't look good in the colors.

Quote Originally Posted by nycblond;4094016;
    Reading all of the comments, tweets, blogs, and messages about the PR finale last night, I am kind of shocked that there's so much venom about Gretchen's collection and subsequent win. I'm curious if the feelings about her "role" on the show influenced a lot of people's thinking about her clothing. I wasn't a fan of all of Gretchen's looks for the whole season (the last one was really, really bad) but I think it was clear from the get-go that she had a clear aesthetic and talent. Mondo certainly had this, too, as did Andy (when he focused on the 'warrior woman' look that I really missed from his final collection), as did April, and I think Michael Drummond, too (loved his Lincoln Center collection inspired by Mark Rothko - very cool). But what I saw in Gretchen's line at the end, as someone who lives in NYC and who has worked for a famous American designer, was an incredibly cohesive collection that has aspirational elements, modern elements, and frankly, incredible construction and style. I can't even begin to describe how important the styling of a runway show is to the success of the collection - people are paid thousands of dollars to consult with design firms to tell them what hair/make-up/accessories are "on trend" and what looks to send down the runway to best compliment the clothes and create inspirational concepts that women will like and want to re-create. YES it's a FASHION SHOW(showing off the clothes) but what is advertised, what is sold to the consumer, and what most people take away from the show is "the look". Fashion is all about subjectivity, so in my mind, I think Gretchen’s world was more accessible than Mondo’s – his was too over-the-top and, in my opinion, limited itself to the number of people that it spoke too.

Sorry to cut your post but wanted to respond to the 2 points I bolded.

1. I really disliked Gretchen's personality and attitude but I did like her first 2 creations. After that, I didn't like them at all.
    I'm probably the only person on this site that did not like Mondo but I loved his designs so I think I can say that their personality didn't affect my opinion.

2. As for being "on-trend": I have a problem with that. The goal is to predict what the next trend is to be a la The Popcorn Report. Runway shows are famous for showing us what we will be wearing. Being Green/sustainable is not the next trend. It's already here and possibly on it's way out.
    But I must add that maybe the TPTB on Project Runway dumbed it down for their viewers and offered a "trend" they could relate to. But to me, Boho is over and done and so is Green, unless you're Kermit.

I HATE HOW FOTF KEEPS LOGGING ME OUT! I just lost a ton of text there, thanks so much!

Anyyways,

Quote Originally Posted by Quemoni;4093215;
    Project Runway just "Jumped the Shark"
    HA! I called this extremely early into the season, like episode 3. It seems like people are FINALLY catching on. Even if Gretchen didn't win, the challenges were boring, there were no good dramas, not a lot of standout designers, and they never switched up the models.

The Lifetime stetch isn't really THAT surprising. The women's movement went from being about equality to giving themselves the benefit instead of men. I mean Lifetime already has all these shows where some woman was kidnapped/violated/dominated by ~MEN~ (never other women) so this was just the perfect situation: the lone woman beating 2/3 men in the finale. And the fact that Gretchen has like no money and no father figure (who would be another MAN), I mean seriously... Gretchen ticked all the boxes for Lifetime.

Regarding her collection, it didn't POP and the dark brown was so boring and old. Make it brighter, clearer, ANYTHING. The shiny green was equally offensive too, coming across like rain boot "fabric". I skipped through nearly everything of hers.

Andy's collection I also hated too. Really monotone. WHITE/GREY IS THE SAME THING AS BLACK, god even April doens't understand this. I just didn't love it at all.

At least Gretchen's model, Milano won. I thought she deserved it the most, even if she wasn't the typical model look, she always stood out on the runway and really embodied the character.
    Last edited by Endit; 10-30-2010 at 04:07 AM.

Finally caught this last night. I can't believe Gretchen won. I haven't always agreed with the choices, but could always understand them. This is unexplainable to me. What's really confusing is that ready-to-wear has been the kiss of death until now. And since when did Nina and Michael want to appeal to women of all ages? Isn't that why Casanova was sent out, because his looks were too 'old'? Everything about Gretchen's win doesn't make sense to me based on the previous 7 seasons. It seems to be a serious contradiction. And if what Gretchen designed is supposedly on trend, count me out. I don't think there's one piece I'd even consider wearing.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;4094160;
    [snipped]... I haven't always agreed with the choices, but could always understand them. This is unexplainable to me....
    This has been a problem much of the season. In past seasons, I didn't always agree with the judges' top 3 picks, or winner for an episode, but I could almost always understand their reasoning. And, if I couldn't, there were generally a substantial number of posters here who also liked the winning design and could make a good case for it.

This year, there have been several judges' favorites (April's black-lingerie resort wear and Gretchen's matronly robe-like evening wear, for example) that 95% of the posters didn't like and no one, IMO, explained what was so good about them. The judges have just been so schizophrenic this year. Sometimes they seem to get it right and other times seem way off-base.

When I watch a show like Dancing with the Stars or American Idol, I do it with the understanding that the best dancer may not win because it's as much a popularity contest as a dance/singing competition. If I watch PR next season, I'll have to be in the mindset that random judging can send a good designer home at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;4094025;
    as for the granny pannies being back in style..they can kiss my backside..they are just plain fugly..and I don't think its right that one girl was given HE** for making them in one show..but Gretchen makes them and they love them...I SMELL A RAT...

I wouldn't be caught dead in them, either. There's fashion and there's taste. Sometimes the two are not the same.

And, while I didn't like Gretchen's attitude, what really, really gets my "knickers in a twist" about her win is how it completely contradicts everything the judges have said in the past.

--"Clothes for all ages" Casanova was specifically eliminated because they said his blouse (which I thought was lovely and would totally wear) was for older women. Paige was also criticized for this. In fact, for the past several seasons the judges have made it clear that they are aiming for the 20-something market.

--"Ready to go to market" This is the one that just kills me. Somebody mentioned Emilio. Hello?? Last season he didn't win precisely because the judges said he was too casual, too ready-to-wear. In fact, I can hear Nina's voice now: "You created a line, not a collection." RTW has always been afterthought for this show, something they throw in for those "two-outfit" challenges. Since I started watching in Season 2 they have always made it clear this was supposed to be a couture fashion show, not about what the "ordinary woman" wanted. That's why ordinary women like me watched! We got to see glamorous fashions we would probably never see otherwise and fantasize about wearing them. And now they turn around and tell Wretchen how wonderful she is because evidently she has a line ready to go for JCP or wherever they think ordinary women are going to buy her stuff. Poor Emnilio must be hopping mad right now.

--"Current trends" Oh, please. It doesn't take any courage to copy a current trend. As others have said, "fashion is supposed to be forward", it's supposed to shape what women want, not show them what's already out there.

--And as Butterfly pointed out, April was criticized (rightly, IMO) for her diaper, and then Wretchen gets fawned over despite (because?) she has three of them. Could there be any more blatant contradiction? April should also be cheesed off.

Speaking of which, that's why didn't have an all-out reunion show. Imagine the mud-wrestling match that would have turned into.

People pooh-poohed me last time when I mentioned a conspiracy. I began to doubt myself. Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it really was nothing but bad judging. I'm sorry, but now I'm back to my original opinion. I couldn't agree more with those who say this has Lifetime written all over it. Poor woman victimized by BF, no home, no money, everybody says she has no talent, triumphs over two men the everybody had crowned the winners. If this hadn't of been PR, it would have been a Lifetime movie.

I was totally naive. I honestly thought Mondo had a clear chance to win, or at least that Andy would. Well, I hate to be taken advantage of. Could somebody drop me a line about that other fashion show on Bravo? 'Cause now that my show has been ruined, I'm going back "home".
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

People talked about being stylish on not much money. My late grandmother was a teacher most of her life, and even when she was retired and living on a pension, she remained one of the most stylish women I knew. She would save up to buy something at an expensive department store, and deliberately look for nice-looking things at other places. She also wore them with a confident attitude and refused to act her like her life was over just because she was older. Bless you, Mama.

This past week at my school it was Spirit Week, and one day was "Mix and Match Day." I wore a hounds-tooth blouse with gold-checked pants to get into the spirit. At first I was self-conscious, but then a co-worker told me "Hey, you're just being fashionable!" I laughed and said, "I'm just imitating my favorite designer, Mondo!" You know what? Both of those pieces were bought at "ordinary" places like JCP or Target.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

....In fact, I can hear Nina's voice now: "You created a line, not a collection." RTW has always been afterthought for this show, something they throw in for those "two-outfit" challenges. Since I started watching in Season 2 they have always made it clear this was supposed to be a couture fashion show, not about what the "ordinary woman" wanted. That's why ordinary women like me watched! We got to see glamorous fashions we would probably never see otherwise and fantasize about wearing them. And now they turn around and tell Wretchen how wonderful she is because evidently she has a line ready to go for JCP or wherever they think ordinary women are going to buy her stuff...
    I couldn't agree more. In past seasons "ready to wear" garments were considered taboo by the judges.

I DVRd the show and finally watched the finale this morning. I'm upset that Gretchen won, because I thought her designs were more than ho hum, but I can't say I'm surprised. I had a gut feeling through most of this season that Gretchen, Michael and Mondo's "stories" were the ones Lifetime wanted to tell....and they did. It was inevitable one of them would be the winner.

Mondo was my favorite all season and I love his mix of patterns. I think the nail in his coffin was the fact that the judges thought his styles were too much like Seth Aaron who was last year's winner.
    Last edited by tinderbox; 10-30-2010 at 12:56 PM.

I've had dozens of pairs of those granny pannies in my life....BUT...we wore them UNDER cheerleader outfits and UNDER short dresses.....and now they are fashion forward...ohhhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaa NOTTTTT do you know how fast the girls here in the south would be told to go home and put on some clothes if they wore those in public and how many of them would get suspended if they even tried to wear them to school....because I just really can't believe that a grown woman would want to wear them...they might appeal to the teenage groups
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred;4094358;
    --"Clothes for all ages" Casanova was specifically eliminated because they said his blouse (which I thought was lovely and would totally wear) was for older women. Paige was also criticized for this. In fact, for the past several seasons the judges have made it clear that they are aiming for the 20-something market.
    And Casanova also had a lovely line that showed on the runway since all 10 get to show at fashion week. There were pieces there for - gasp - all ages.

--"Ready to go to market" This is the one that just kills me. Somebody mentioned Emilio. Hello?? Last season he didn't win precisely because the judges said he was too casual, too ready-to-wear. In fact, I can hear Nina's voice now: "You created a line, not a collection." RTW has always been afterthought for this show, something they throw in for those "two-outfit" challenges. Since I started watching in Season 2 they have always made it clear this was supposed to be a couture fashion show, not about what the "ordinary woman" wanted. That's why ordinary women like me watched! We got to see glamorous fashions we would probably never see otherwise and fantasize about wearing them. And now they turn around and tell Wretchen how wonderful she is because evidently she has a line ready to go for JCP or wherever they think ordinary women are going to buy her stuff. Poor Emnilio must be hopping mad right now.
    I have to admit I wasn't fond of Emilio because of his arrogance; however, unlike Gretchen he could back his up and had some lovely designs. (The washer bikini IMHO the long exception here).

If it came down to him and Gretchen this season, Emilio I believe would've won.

--"Current trends" Oh, please. It doesn't take any courage to copy a current trend. As others have said, "fashion is supposed to be forward", it's supposed to shape what women want, not show them what's already out there.
    I'll admit all three had a little trouble here - as Mondo did have the skull shirt and Andy I think had some sort of tunic that's in. But for the most part, Andy and Mondo's were fashion forward and had aspects I could see coming up.

It's an excuse to let Gretchen win IMHO, as was the granny panties comment: April had the same pair in that hat challenge, and was called out for it looking like a diaper. Gretchen's IMHO were actually worse than those pair April made, if nothing because at least April's had decorations on them and were more colorful.

--And as Butterfly pointed out, April was criticized (rightly, IMO) for her diaper, and then Wretchen gets fawned over despite (because?) she has three of them. Could there be any more blatant contradiction? April should also be cheesed off.
    Yep, I would believe so - and I think had April added color to her New York piece?, Gretchen would've been gone. And sadly, I wouldn't have minded April winning because she actually did have some creative streaks in her and TRIED to do new stuff.

Speaking of which, that's why didn't have an all-out reunion show. Imagine the mud-wrestling match that would have turned into.
    That's probably why it was scripted - complete with the voiceovers Heidi did on all three finalists. I'd loved to have seen a post show and winning results and had the three finalists call out the judges for the contradicting comments.

People pooh-poohed me last time when I mentioned a conspiracy. I began to doubt myself. Maybe I was just crazy. Maybe it really was nothing but bad judging. I'm sorry, but now I'm back to my original opinion. I couldn't agree more with those who say this has Lifetime written all over it. Poor woman victimized by BF, no home, no money, everybody says she has no talent, triumphs over two men the everybody had crowned the winners. If this hadn't of been PR, it would have been a Lifetime movie.
    Not sure I'd go that extreme, but you are right on the similarities.

Given that Gretchen should've been out in I think three challenges - TOLD the judges she was "sick of challenges" (a kiss of death for other designers and contestants in other shows), was snobbish toward Heidi (which again usually is the kiss of death when combined with a poor showing in the competition), there definitely is a high question as to why she stayed.

BTW - I have noticed one thing too - Gretchen mentions "partner" not ex-husband or the like. Is there a chance she is a lesbian? This may sound bigoted, but I'm pretty certain there haven't been many lesbian winners if any in these shows so what if that was a factor too?

I was totally naive. I honestly thought Mondo had a clear chance to win, or at least that Andy would. Well, I hate to be taken advantage of. Could somebody drop me a line about that other fashion show on Bravo? 'Cause now that my show has been ruined, I'm going back "home".
    I wish I could see the Bravo show, but your right, the only season of the three that have been on lifetime I've been satisfied with the winner - or at least been happy with any of the three winning - was the year Seth Aaron won. I wasn't fond of Emilio's or Mila's attitudes, but both could design, and had great shows that LAST season was the true "Too close to call" season.

This one was so manipulated it was obvious.

+ Reply to Thread