+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 10/7 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 10/7 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Great commentary everyone - looking forward to next week - but for now it's bedtime -

In Gretchen's defense, I agree that what the judges say lately aren't constructive criticism at all... they have been really snarky, especially Heidi.

A few points I noticed today and comments:

1. I do agree Heidi's comments to Mondo were harsh, but what he produced showed what he could do with very ugly criticism. He could've totally bombed or he could do what he did - his best and it was lovely. Frankly, I'm kinda wondering if it was intentional because she does know he could do better and he needed the kick in the butt.

2. Mondo's and Andy's wear were the clear winners IMHO - and while I love Mondo, I'm glad Andy won. Mondo didn't need to win another challenge because I think if he did, he'd totally crash in the final challenge and unless he pulls a Casanova in the first week stunt, he should be in the final three. (And I think it'd take something of that level to do it).

3. Gretchen? - Whether or not the comments and Snarks Heidi and co. made, she does need to take it in stride - at least ON the stage. She can bitch - rightfully or not, in the stew room or in the apartment.

IMHO, she could very easily bitch herself out of this competition - she will need to have a civil tongue next week, or she will talk herself out of a job in a way (as the prizes include designing a line to be sold on an online store).

4. Ivy's comments were out of line given that the producers already knew the situation and ruled that Michael C. didn't violate any rules. In fact, she should've been ejected from the show and fined for pulling a stunt like that. It was that ridiculous and clearly bitter grapes.

5. Casanova - how I have missed you. I loved the whole comment of pumpkin pie then pecan pie than another kind of pie on top with Michael C.'s outfit. He may not have been the best designer (though I loved his outfits in the team challenge), but he was indeed funny, and I feel geniunely funny (something I felt was missing a little in Anthony's comments from last season).

There are more things I'd comment on, but I can't think of them off the top of my head at the moment.

This ep made me not like April. At least Gretchen reached out a bit. And I thought she was trying when dealing with H. Frankly, from what I saw Heidi show, I would not buy her line. Still waiting to see the designers stuff. Ivy? Buh bye. Bitter Betty.

One thing I'm thinking about . . .

When Heidi first came into the workroom at the beginning of the ep to critique each designer, when she got to Michael C, I noticed that in what aired, I don't/didn't recall her saying anything to him at that specific time about not liking his choice of colors for his outfit.

But now, when they got to the runway, that was a sore point with all of the judges, the colors of Michael's clothing, as I remember right now.

In the workroom, I noticed she didn't say anything to Mondo, either, about the purple top in terms of color, even though she definitely commented to him about the neckline being too small and tight to go over someone's head easily, and the fact that it was sheer.

Maybe she DID comment on the colors to Michael (and Mondo), but if she did, then that might've ended up on the cutting room floor.

I just thought that seemed a bit odd, nothing being said by Heidi at first about Michael's color choices in the workroom, then it being brought up as a bone of contention by the judges (including Heidi, IIRC) at the runway.

Oh, well . . .

Regarding the other commentary Heidi made to Mondo during her workroom visit . . .

JMHO . . .

Sure, one could definitely look at what she said to him from a standpoint that she was being mean. However, I also think that another angle, or standpoint, one could view her commentary to him from would be the angle that, at the end of the day, she is the client (and BOSS, as one of the designers said). It's HER line, therefore, like it or not, she has the right to make commentary to the designers regarding what she happens to view as she tours the workroom.

Could she have maybe soft-pedaled what she had to say? Perhaps. But, again, at the end of the day, it's HER name and face that's on the line --- like it or not --- and therefore, she's well within her rights to step up and speak on any aspect of what she sees as it's being created. And, quite frankly, if the designers can't take her heat, her calling it as she sees it, then as far as I'm concerned, they need to get out of the workroom permanently and leave the show.

Unless each of us are bosses on our own jobs, I'm sure that we're asked or told to do things that we think are a waste of time, or that could be done better another way, etc., etc., etc. But then again, how many of us actually expend the time and energy to argue with a boss regarding things we're told to do, when we know good and well that to do so might very well result in our dismissal from our position?

JMHO and thoughts/observations.
    Last edited by ness; 10-08-2010 at 01:30 AM.

I agree with what you said, ness. I wonder about Michael's colors, since they showed the designers mocking them ( and him laughing about it ). Mondo did act a bit childish, but I think fatigue plays a part. And I thought his jacket/top was cute and I've seen something like that on busy moms in my neighborhood. I don't like the line H showed, but Andy was smart in what he did to make it fit and at least look MUCH better than what she put out. I would look awful in her stuff.

I was so surprised that April was in the top three with that ugly short/nightie set. Made her model's legs look FAT. I remember someone said that her stuff always look like they are ready for bed, and they are right. And has April always hated Michael's stuff so much? She always looks so pouty. And I really liked her last look (the print challenge).

April returned to Mean Girl status the instant the other Mean Girls returned. She should have followed the lead of others and shut up. She looked like an idiot congratulating another idiot.

I didn't think Ivy could ever lok any worse and she managed to do so. Heidi making fun of her early in the show with MC saying who said you couldn't sew and who is gone was funny. Heidi didn't approve of Ivy's antics and saw them as bitter and unprofessional which they were. Ivy must have ben livid watching tha tonight. Good. I was glad Tim made it clear the cameras picked up nothing. Models using that tape to kep bra in place or tape up their boobs is common and they all know it. She looked like the bitter bitch she was.

I will give some credit to Gretchen for not getting involved in that drama. Mondo called it pathetic and Andy and Christopher handled it with class too. It was embarassing and they were wise to stay above it. I hope April goes next. She's immature. And I don't see Gretchen with a shot at winning eithe even if she had a great end collection. She can't take criticism and has poor communication skills. Both will be her downfall.

Interesting that some that spoke out against MC actually love him when they work with him and get to know him. The judges him because they look down on his training and are jealous he beat some out with more formal education. The color thing tonight was strange. I would think they would alter their look to cut down on a color Heidi didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by ChelsieFan;4079699;
    I will give some credit to Gretchen for not getting involved in that drama.
    Too, too true.

I do not care for Gretchen at ALL, but I've gotta give her props and a for not jumping into the mess Ivy stirred up about Michael.

Y'couldn't've proved by me before that that she would've had it in her to stay out of that schoolyard foolishness.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness;4079688;
    One thing I'm thinking about . . .

When Heidi first came into the workroom at the beginning of the ep to critique each designer, when she got to Michael C, I noticed that in what aired, I don't/didn't recall her saying anything to him at that specific time about not liking his choice of colors for his outfit.

But now, when they got to the runway, that was a sore point with all of the judges, the colors of Michael's clothing, as I remember right now.

In the workroom, I noticed she didn't say anything to Mondo, either, about the purple top in terms of color, even though she definitely commented to him about the neckline being too small and tight to go over someone's head easily, and the fact that it was sheer.

Maybe she DID comment on the colors to Michael (and Mondo), but if she did, then that might've ended up on the cutting room floor.

I just thought that seemed a bit odd, nothing being said by Heidi at first about Michael's color choices in the workroom, then it being brought up as a bone of contention by the judges (including Heidi, IIRC) at the runway.

Oh, well . . .

JMHO and thoughts/observations.

When Heid came into the workroom the designers only were designing one look and had not been told about the other 2 looks yet. Heid and Tim informed them of adding the 2 looks when she was leaving. That's when Mondo said he was ignoring her. So, when Heid saw Michael C's close she only say one look. It was the long , blousy top with the hoody to it. And at the time she saw it I think it was grey initially. I think the colors came out after Heid came and they were able to go back to Mood and get more fabric after Heidi's critique's including new fabric for their original look if they wished. So, I don't think Heiddi saw Michael C's full color pallette and 3 looks 'til the runway which is when she had a problem with it. Mondo showed her the one look as well and he totally scrapped it. So, everything she saw from him on th erunway was new. Except he kept some of the lavendar/purple color but in a different fabric.

I think all o fthe designers had a problem this week trying to design with their esthetic while remaining within in the constraints doing activewear, utilizing heavily Heidi's fabric choice, and suiting Heidi's taste. Heidi's active wear line was fitting a limite dpurpose with a specific fabric choice that had to be used. I think people were trying to bring themsleves, fabrics they liked better, and still make it be high fashioned and better. They just didn't realize they had to do it within the strict restraints for the client and that was the challenge. It's something that designers for ready-to -wear lower end lines have to do all the time. It's not something these designers looking to be high fashioned , make their mark with their own license, using any fabrics they want and used to working with one client, are used to doing.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkij_26;4079721;
    When Heid came into the workroom the designers only were designing one look and had not been told about the other 2 looks yet. Heid and Tim informed them of adding the 2 looks when she was leaving. That's when Mondo said he was ignoring her. So, when Heid saw Michael C's close she only say one look. It was the long , blousy top with the hoody to it. And at the time she saw it I think it was grey initially. I think the colors came out after Heid came and they were able to go back to Mood and get more fabric after Heidi's critique's including new fabric for their original look if they wished. So, I don't think Heiddi saw Michael C's full color pallette and 3 looks 'til the runway which is when she had a problem with it. Mondo showed her the one look as well and he totally scrapped it. So, everything she saw from him on th erunway was new. Except he kept some of the lavendar/purple color but in a different fabric.

Yep, I remember quite well that when Heidi was touring the workroom and giving critiques to the designers, they were only designing one look at that time. I also seem to recall ---and anybody please feel free to correct me on this if I'm wrong --- that at the time she spoke to/critiqued Michael in the workroom, his mannequin had on peach/orange Hammer-type pants. And I don't recall her mentioning to him at that time that she didn't care for the color (but she sure said it at runway).

As for Mondo, yep, I'm aware that he scrapped his workroom outfit. But I don't recall seeing a lavender/purple-tinged color in any of his final three runway looks. I thought I recalled seeing a soft pink/rose color in one of them, though. I don't think it came across to me as a lavender/purple-type hue, but then again, the tint on my TV could've been slightly off, or something.

JMHO.
    Last edited by ness; 10-08-2010 at 05:05 AM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread