+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 10/7 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 10/7 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

It's too bad that that the clothes are so overpriced that Andy probably couldn't even afford to buy the stuff that he designed.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

First of all, I hated Heidi's line. I love bright colors a la Mondo, so I would feel like a bowl of oatmeal wearing something of hers. That's why personally I'm glad Andy won, because I liked his bold patterns. Having just been reminded of the poorly placed stripe, I'm going to have to go back and look at them again.

Speaking of looking again, I've got the show on DVR and watched the Mondo/Gretchen scene twice. In fact, I've got it cued up now. I think Mondo was way out of line and basically acted like Gretchen. Here's what happened: Heidi walks over and Mondo already seems on edge. He has a purple blouse with a crop top on the mannequin. Heidi asks how you put it on and he replies with an edge of sarcasm that you simply slip it on, while pulling the top half off the mannequin. (How was she supposed to know that? What if he had sown the two pieces together?) Heidi seems amazed when told that the top is a size 6 (because it looks too small?). She tries it on, and it only comes to just beneath her breasts. She asks him skeptically if he could see her shopping in this, and he replies snarkily that why not?

I’m sorry, but Mondo’s attitude is bad even here at the beginning of the scene. If you watch it, everything about him screams “I don’t give a toss about what you have to say because I know my clothes are great,” from his body language to his tone of voice. There was simply no excuse for his behavior. Heidi was exactly right. What woman over 16 would wear a cropped top that came just beneath her breasts? It was ridiculous. Mondo was even more ridiculous when he told her sarcastically that he would wear it.

Then Heidi points to the blouse and says that it seems rather small. Again, I see nothing wrong with her comment. She was simply comparing it her existing line. However, it looks like at this point that Mondo rolls his eyes for the first time, which ticks Heidi off. Mondo then sarcastically asks if she wants to try it on, and so she calls his bluff and does so. Her head won’t fit through the hole and so she holds it up to show she was right. Now maybe you could say that she was over the line for the Yorkie line (although I personally laughed); however, from his tone of voice Mondo is clearly mentally rolling his eyes and thinking “Whatever. Just go away so I can keep working on my beautiful clothes that you are clearly too dense to understand.” His rude comments back that up. So again, I’m sorry, but having watched this scene several times now I believe that Mondo was clearly in the wrong. From beginning to end his attitude was negative and inexcusable. Even if Heidi said things in a way that she shouldn’t have, her actual criticisms were perfectly valid. And note that, like Gretchen, Mondo never apologized for his behavior even when the judges honored him by nearly letting him win. Like her, he probably thought he was justified the whole time. I’ve lost a great deal of respect for him because of this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Just got to watch the show, as we'd been away for a couple of days.

Mondo - whom I love - did seem a bit snarky with Heidi . . . but they're probably all pretty exhausted at this point.

Ivy - what a piece of work. The juxtaposition of the editing where she said that karma would take care of things, then that needle snapping and hitting her was (IMHO) the producers' way of showing her for what she was. I didn't like to see Michael laughing at what happened to her, but after all she's put him through, he had to feel somewhat vindicated.

When Heidi made the comment about April's shorts being so short she wouldn't feel comfortable, I almost spewed Diet Coke on my TV. Those shorts are not much shorter than - or even tighter than - what she wears every week. I don't care what a great figure she has . . . her style of dressing just screams "streetwalker" to me.

I liked Mondo's designs better than Andy's. There were a couple of Mondo's tops that I would have even considered buying (but not for $150).
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

I won't waste any time on Hivy. That pathetic, bitter person doesn't deserve it. I will say, though, that I was glad Michael got some backbone and finally sassed her back.

That reminds me. Having now scene the whole episode, I have changed my opinion of Michael. I think he's innocent because he and Tim basically tore Hivy's story to shreds. Michael nailed it: if he really wanted to cheat, why would he leave evidence behind for Hivy to conveniently find? That just shows their snobbery, since they think Michael would be ignorant enough to do that.

Gretchen...Gretchen...Gretchen ...I liked you when you rose above the fray with Hivy, then you threw all my goodwill down the toilet with the rest of your behavior in the episode. Most irritating moment: watching her comfort Michael after saying all those bad things about him behind his back in the apartment. Please, oh please, Lord don't let her make it to the Final 3. If she does, then please don't let her win. That immature, hypocritical brat totally does not deserve it, no matter what Madame Diva thinks about herself.

Why was April in the Top 3? Seriously, would any woman other than maybe a Hollywood celebrity wear Daisy Duke shorts and a negligee as "daywear"?
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred;4080618;
    Gretchen...Gretchen...Gretchen ...I liked you when you rose above the fray with Hivy, then you threw all my goodwill down the toilet with the rest of your behavior in the episode. Most irritating moment: watching her comfort Michael after saying all those bad things about him behind his back in the apartment. Please, oh please, Lord don't let her make it to the Final 3. If she does, then please don't let her win. That immature, hypocritical brat totally does not deserve it, no matter what Madame Diva thinks about herself.

I didn't mind Gretchen doing that. She told him to basically shrug it off and just work. She didn't compliment him or say what a great guy he was or how she loved his work. And Michael has done that, compliment her and then in his one-on-one interview said he didn't mean it. Ivy and April got the negs in my book. Mondo was bitchy and Gretchen was Gretchen. But Ivy and April?

This is in defense of Mondo's reactions - to a point.

Reading the whole scene I do have to agree that he was out of line with Heidi, who as many mentioned her background will make her a bit more blunt.

That said, I think given these designers design for a few weeks straight, and usually are in the work rooms until Midnight (not to mention we don't know when they have to get up in the morning), there is a good chance that he was exhausted and a bit touchy from it.

Personally - I think he needed the kick in the butt, because he was already complaining about lack of color and was at a standstill on what to design from what little I saw prior to the critiques.

The mere kicking of his butt - even with the attitude, was enough for him to wake up, realize his designs weren't working, redesign and made something that was in the top two.

Obviously he wasn't going to win because he was rude to Heidi, and I was fine with that. You don't reward bitchiness, even if you are a bit contrite afterward (which is what I felt later on when it was in judging).

I do think however, if Heidi didn't piss him off, get his ego hurt and the like, he'd been in the bottom two and possibly eliminated - even winning that many challenges in a row.

So, it was a good thing for him to have the temper tantrum - even if it was out of line to the "customer" which will be something he'll need to work on IRL.

Gretchen is pulling an Emilio except I think Emilio took more risks and designed more interesting things (even though he still beats Casanova on the nearly nude model category).

I don't get why I"m supposed to think Hedi's line of active wear is worth the money she expects me to pay for it. Everything looks kind of shapeless and cheaply made. I don't get it. Am I missing something? It's just very blah and uninspired and honestly I don't think anyone would buy the stuff if her name wasn't attached to the clothing line. But, if you have let me know why so I can understand what it is I'm missing when i look at her line. There's nothing about the colors or the design or the styling that makes it a step above other active wear. I guess I'm more of a color person, maybe.
    Also, some of the tops Mondo created I have the same type of tops which I bought for three bucks a piece at a discount store. So, I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to be judging in this challenge. Certainly, uniqueness is out the window. The colors are so depressing and uninspiring. I'm no fashionista so please educate me because it's driving me loony not being able to grasp what the panel finds so amazing in the designs- event he weird stripes look unflattering, imo -like they are simply glued on pieces of contrasting material. I just looked at some of Heidi's clothing on line and that's what I thought- badly made. But again, I live out in the middle of nowhere, so maybe I'm just not hip enough or something to grasp what this active wear look is trying to say. Because the only message i get is `drab, shapeless and sad. '
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;4080730;
    I don't get why I"m supposed to think Hedi's line of active wear is worth the money she expects me to pay for it. Everything looks kind of shapeless and cheaply made. I don't get it. Am I missing something? It's just very blah and uninspired and honestly I don't think anyone would buy the stuff if her name wasn't attached to the clothing line. But, if you have let me know why so I can understand what it is I'm missing when i look at her line. There's nothing about the colors or the design or the styling that makes it a step above other active wear. I guess I'm more of a color person, maybe....

[snip]

I just looked at some of Heidi's clothing on line and that's what I thought- badly made. But again, I live out in the middle of nowhere, so maybe I'm just not hip enough or something to grasp what this active wear look is trying to say. Because the only message i get is `drab, shapeless and sad. '
    That's pretty much what I thought when the models entered wearing her line at at the beginning of the show.

I forgot to mention my favorite line from the show:

[Heidi to Gretchen] "I have the same problems with your line that I do with Michael's." Consider how Wretchen badmouthed him back in the apartment, I'm sure she REALLY loved hearing that.
    Last edited by Babbred; 10-09-2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4080513;
    I checked out Heidi's New Balance Collection on Amazon.com, the designers have better stuff them what she came up with and the prices are ridiculous.
    Thank You for saying that! I just posted something about this- and I thought that maybe because I'm not exactly living in the hippest place in the world I just wasn't getting `it.' Especially the prices! Why would I or anyone pay 168.00 for that stuff? It just seems very thrown together and uninspired and well, ugly, to be blunt. You are right, some of the designers presented better designed and better constructed pieces. Evebn the crazier stuff -at lerast there were unique touches and some thought that went in to the looks-heidis stuff is very cut and paste and lifeless. I might as wll cut up some old sweat suits and reconstruct them.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

Quote Originally Posted by Babbred;4080734;
    That's pretty much what I thought when the models entered wearing her line at at the beginning of the show.

I forgot to mention my favorite line from the show:

[Heidi to Gretchen] "I have the same problems with your line that I do with Michael's." Consider how Wretchen badmouthed him back in the apartment, I'm sure she REALLY loved hearing that.
    I'm sure she went temporarily blind with indignation
    I just hate Wretchen for being such an arrogant bully!
    I feel that Michael is such the whipping boy and I want so badly for him to outlast her just so she can sit there and marinate in her own bitteremotional juices about being bested by someone she views as inferior.

+ Reply to Thread