+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 9/30 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Re: 9/30 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

So what's the big shocker next week? Who is the big fat cheater?

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;4074533;
    Just watched the show. I must admit that I had judged Mondo to be really weird based on his bio picture and some of the earlier episodes. I have now upgraded my opinion. He's adorably eccentric, and one heck of a gifted designer.

I thought it was amusing that Heidi commented that some of the designs next week look "cheap." I think her whole method of dressing makes her look cheap - no matter how expensive the garments may be.

Note to Gretchen: Please learn how to make garments that don't show the sides of the wearer's boobs. If you're as good as you think you are, that shouldn't be much of a challenge.
    I agree with you about Heidi's dressing lately and Gretchen's love of side boobage. She does seem to listen to Tim's criticism if not the judges and changed one of her previous side boob problems before judging, but apparently she didn't really learn from that.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

To add on about Heidi's dressing...when she came out for the runway show, I thought she mugged a Mardi Gras Indian for her "belt" (or backwards cummerbund as it read to me). Good lord, that was beyond unflattering.

Personally, I don't think Mondo was being manipulative about his HIV+ revelation. I believe his statement that it was his time to make the reveal. At the point he broke his story down (even without editing), it was pretty clear he had the real fashion on the runway. That was obvious when the models went down the runway, in fact. Wearable is another story, but the judges have been gravitating to the editorial look for the past few weeks and his was that. It was a toss-up last week, because Andy's was definitely editorial, but so was Mondo's.

But I am seriously irritated with these bait & switch promos. There was no fabric-throwing, no accusations of cheating in this episode. Lifetime needs to back off of that Fox-worthy crap ASAP. Don't ruin a franchise that had goodwill. It's like throwing cash down a toilet. Or just go ahead and replace Kors with Ramsay.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;4075434;

[snip]

But I am seriously irritated with these bait & switch promos. There was no fabric-throwing, no accusations of cheating in this episode. Lifetime needs to back off of that Fox-worthy crap ASAP. Don't ruin a franchise that had goodwill. It's like throwing cash down a toilet. Or just go ahead and replace Kors with Ramsay.

Yes, somebody mentioned upthread how the ratings this season are higher. Well, what do you expect when you dumb down the show and turn it into just another reality show? Maybe new people are coming to watch for the histrionics, but devoted fans like me from past seasons are going to leave because it's not our show anymore. Seriously, if next season Lifetime pulls this crud again by picking designers who are obviously meant to annoy one another, rather than focusing on who genuinely deserves it based on talent, then I quit. I'll just buy the DVD's and watch the Bravo seasons.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Quote Originally Posted by nikkij_26;4074913;
    First, let me say right off no stoning or burning at the stake here, lol. Just a bit of a different thoughtful opinion. I belive Mondo's PI's were done in 2 parts with the most significant part of it done after winning the challenge. They always do a it of a debriefing after the runway at the end of the week. I think the part where he mentioned the positive symbols and reason for it was before the runway. I think Tim Gunn getting teary could have been a response to learning of Mondo's status from the producers who conducted the PI not from Mondo. They may have wanted Tim to know so that he didn't press the inspiration question too hard with Mondo hoping for the big reveal and dramatic efect that ended up happening at the runway. However, some of Tim's emotion could hav e benn just for the reason he said, the emotion that the season was coming to a close with it getting down to the final 7. Heid was quoted as saying that this season's cast was the one she had gotten the most close to at Fashion week. Perhaps Tim felt the same way, hence his emotion. Either way, the majority of Mondo's PI was done after the Runway, talking about his mom, the win, and further about his disease. The reality show producers are always on top of how a story develops, even when it happens naturally, and how they can work the situation further to make it beneficial for their ratings purposes. So, I think with Mondo what happened with him was organic to what he was going through but, the producers took advantage of it to further it along for the show.

Regarding Mondo's behavior, dress, and personality, I have a different view. Consider his stature, terminal illness, familial religious beliefs, and sexuality. The way Mondo dresses and carries himself to is no different than the way last season's winner Seth Aaron would carry himself. The only difference between them is Mondo is not over 6 feet tall, straight, extroverted. The way he dresses is an expression of his style not necessarily as a way to portray himself as a little boy or to garner sympathy intentionally or unwittingly. Mondo is of small stature that's fact and genetics. He also has his flair as a homesexual male and designer. Seth Aaron used to wear crazy stuff much in the same style and do his hair the same way, except fo rthings which his stature couldn't get a way with.

Also, consider living with a terminal illness for 10 years with the people closest to you never knowing. It is very isolating even if you have a few friends who may know. Plus, many with the disease can often isolate themselves form those friends and relationships when they are diagnosed and choose to live a mor e solitary existence. Add into it the Latino Catholic culture when it comes to feelings on homosexuality and the disease and it's not a pretty picture. In Mondo's case it's a double side of secrets his homosexuality and his illness. One of which was initially encouraged by his mother in the beginning. Sometimes it cn get tiring putting up the front with everyone to hide the secret so you choose to stay isolated. I think that is how Mondo was coming into the show, not to mention choosing to open yourself up to people you didn't know an dthat you were competing against probably never entered his mind. I think his friendship with Micahel C was the first thing to break the ice with him and that was something pushed on him at the time. Can Mondo be a jerk at times, rude, mean, etc. like everyone else? Certainly, he's no saint. I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is I think his behaviour is a product of who he is , what he's going through in life, his personality and his design esthetic. I don't think it was a poor me I need attention intentionally or an unintentional if I act this way I hope I get attention. I just think it was him going through what he was at the time being in this experience. I think the experience may be beneficial to him personally in the long run. Alot of people when the get isolated in the pressure cooker of reality shows and constaly put to self introspection when they have to do these constant private interviews reveal things and learn things that they never would have thought they would have. JMO

you are so right on many of these points. I wasn't really looking very deeply into it but just remarking on that funny feeling I got while watching. I always want to believe the best of everyone and I hate unfairness of any kind so I might be seeing something that isn't there.

One good thing that you may not realize is that being HIV positive is no longer the death sentence it once was. Mondo is very young which is very important when starting treatment and if he contracted it 10 yrs ago, he was even younger! When HART, an antiretroviral treatment, is used, the infected person receives effective anti-HIV treatment before the immune system has been severely damaged - and if a person takes their drugs properly - then they could live a more or less normal life span, in more or less good health.
    This is fabulous news!

It doesn't really matter because he is a talented designer and wouldn't need to play any psychological tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4076241;
    you are so right on many of these points. I wasn't really looking very deeply into it but just remarking on that funny feeling I got while watching. I always want to believe the best of everyone and I hate unfairness of any kind so I might be seeing something that isn't there.

One good thing that you may not realize is that being HIV positive is no longer the death sentence it once was. Mondo is very young which is very important when starting treatment and if he contracted it 10 yrs ago, he was even younger! When HART, an antiretroviral treatment, is used, the infected person receives effective anti-HIV treatment before the immune system has been severely damaged - and if a person takes their drugs properly - then they could live a more or less normal life span, in more or less good health.
    This is fabulous news!

It doesn't really matter because he is a talented designer and wouldn't need to play any psychological tricks.

I'm a nurse. So, I'm very well aware of the treatments and the potential life span of someone with HIV. The fact is that HIV & Aids are still categorrized as a terminal illnesses. And the effect the diagnosis has on an individual is significant. Much the same way a cancer diagnosis has on a person. Many cancers have successful treatments that extend life and even have people surviving if making it past 5 years. However, cancer is still considered terminal. Regardless, the moment someone hears cancer as a diagnosis, despite what treatments are available, it has a significant effect on their life. The effects of disease like this on a person's life and their perspective on their future, relationships, plans, etc. is significant and is made all the more so if they are keeping the diagnosis a secret from their family and loved ones. It becomes very isolating and effects their perspective and viewpoint and how they interact with people because they are hiding this secret. This was my point. I've seen it many times.
    Someone dealing with the disease out in the oopen with the help and support and positivity of family and friends is very different from someone who is living dual lives and hiding the secret of the illness which is a huge factor in their life day to day.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkij_26;4076251;
    I'm a nurse. So, I'm very well aware of the treatments and the potential life span of someone with HIV. The fact is that HIV & Aids are still categorized as a terminal illnesses. And the effect the diagnosis has on an individual is significant. Much the same way a cancer diagnosis has on a person. Many cancers have successful treatments that extend life and even have people surviving if making it past 5 years. However, cancer is still considered terminal. Regardless, the moment someone hears cancer as a diagnosis, despite what treatments are available, it has a significant effect on their life. The effects of disease like this on a person's life and their perspective on their future, relationships, plans, etc. is significant and is made all the more so if they are keeping the diagnosis a secret from their family and loved ones. It becomes very isolating and effects their perspective and viewpoint and how they interact with people because they are hiding this secret. This was my point. I've seen it many times.
    Someone dealing with the disease out in the oopen with the help and support and positivity of family and friends is very different from someone who is living dual lives and hiding the secret of the illness which is a huge factor in their life day to day.

Typing fast without reading. Lost time to edit, forgive spelling errors, lol. I wanted to clarify 3rd sentence that I wrote. HIV is a terminal illness that if one has access to medical care and is vigilantly compliant with HAART and all medical therapies that can evolve into a chronic illness. If one is not vigilant it is still terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by nikkij_26;4076251;
    I'm a nurse. So, I'm very well aware of the treatments and the potential life span of someone with HIV. The fact is that HIV & Aids are still categorrized as a terminal illnesses. And the effect the diagnosis has on an individual is significant. Much the same way a cancer diagnosis has on a person. Many cancers have successful treatments that extend life and even have people surviving if making it past 5 years. However, cancer is still considered terminal. Regardless, the moment someone hears cancer as a diagnosis, despite what treatments are available, it has a significant effect on their life. The effects of disease like this on a person's life and their perspective on their future, relationships, plans, etc. is significant and is made all the more so if they are keeping the diagnosis a secret from their family and loved ones. It becomes very isolating and effects their perspective and viewpoint and how they interact with people because they are hiding this secret. This was my point. I've seen it many times.

I understand what you're saying and I certainly wasn't trying to diminish the situation with Mondo. You're much better at knowing what's really going on than someone like me who only knows what they read. I was actually really happy to know that so much progress has been made with HIV and thought maybe others didn't know like me, until recently.

Sometimes it's hard to express what you're thinking here. I was questioning the Mondo situation, not condeming him.

I think I've always been somewhat gullible in believing people are who they say they are and have often been hit hard when I find out they are not. I think as I've aged, I question people's motives more than I used to.

I prefer to see the good in people and I prefer to see fairness at all times. Unrealistic, I know but hard to change.

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4077091;
    I understand what you're saying and I certainly wasn't trying to diminish the situation with Mondo. You're much better at knowing what's really going on than someone like me who only knows what they read. I was actually really happy to know that so much progress has been made with HIV and thought maybe others didn't know like me, until recently.

Sometimes it's hard to express what you're thinking here. I was questioning the Mondo situation, not condeming him.

I think I've always been somewhat gullible in believing people are who they say they are and have often been hit hard when I find out they are not. I think as I've aged, I question people's motives more than I used to.

I prefer to see the good in people and I prefer to see fairness at all times. Unrealistic, I know but hard to change.
    I understand just where you are coming from, having been one who always likes to attribute the best intentions and pure motives and inability to lie to everyone, but having been brought to reality that there are in fact a lot of manipulative, lying, advantage taking people out there...it brings one to a point where while your first and best instinct is to assign best motives, that is immediately followed by a flood of memories of real life experiences that make one a little more cautious and a little more questioning, while still wanting to believe the best.

I don't think there is anything wrong with mulling over the situation and considering that someone may not totally be on the up and up, you may decide you think it is all as it appears, or you may choose to reserve judgment or reserve investing emotion in the situation without further info. I don't think this makes you a bad person. It makes you perhaps a little more cautious and hopefully a little smarter and less vulnerable to those who would take advantage of you monetarily or emotionally.

It does not mean you condemn just because you question. You want to reaffirm your instinct to trust, that should not be offensive. It does not mean you think they are lying or manipulating, but merely accepts the fact that there exist those who do, and you want to be clear on the situation. To often I think the really manipulative use this tactic, the "what, you're questioning me? How dare you? and make us feel ashamed for even having a "disloyal" thought. Asking appropriate questions is always a good thing and if a person is honest and above board they should not be offended nor have a problem with giving you the information you need to reassure yourself that things are as they appear to be.
    Last edited by Duckyface; 10-05-2010 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckyface;4077099;
    I understand just where you are coming from, having been one who always likes to attribute the best intentions and pure motives and inability to lie to everyone, but having been brought to reality that there are in fact a lot of manipulative, lying, advantage taking people out there...it brings one to a point where while your first and best instinct is to assign best motives, that is immediately followed by a flood of memories of real life experiences that make one a little more cautious and a little more questioning, while still wanting to believe the best.

I don't think there is anything wrong with mulling over the situation and considering that someone may not totally be on the up and up, you may decide you think it is all as it appears, or you may choose to reserve judgment or reserve investing emotion in the situation without further info. I don't think this makes you a bad person. It makes you perhaps a little more cautious and hopefully a little smarter and less vulnerable to those who would take advantage of you monetarily or emotionally.

It does not mean you condemn just because you question. You want to reaffirm your instinct to trust, that should not be offensive. It does not mean you think they are lying or manipulating, but merely accepts the fact that there exist those who do, and you want to be clear on the situation. To often I think the really manipulative use this tactic, the "what, you're questioning me? How dare you? and make us feel ashamed for even having a "disloyal" thought. Asking appropriate questions is always a good thing and if a person is honest and above board they should not be offended nor have a problem with giving you the information you need to reassure yourself that things are as they appear to be.
    Thank you so much for this validation. Sometimes it's hard to express a negative opinion here (or many other places) and people interpret it as being hateful or unkind. I don't wish anyone ill will, even if they are not what they appear to be but it sure feels nice to have someone understand what you're saying. Mondo is extremely talented and that's all he needs to do well in his chosen field of design. I was just "wondering" out loud (so to speak) because it's difficult to know anyone's true motives unless they are vocally negative like Ivy was. Gretchen is annoying as heck but I don't think she's mean. As for Michael C., I'm reserving judgement. So many of the others seem to dislike him for being, as they said,"two faced." As a viewer, I haven't seen that yet but it's hard to ignore so many saying the same thing. But again, another talented person who has all they need to succeed.
    Thanks again, Ducky.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456