+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 9/30 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 9/30 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

It looks like PR has tried to buy into the reality show formula and I am surprised the the judges agreed to be little Simon Cowells. I think that is why we are seeing and hearing such displeasure from Tim. He is a man who would not lower himself to be a reality show stereotype

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Just watched the show. I must admit that I had judged Mondo to be really weird based on his bio picture and some of the earlier episodes. I have now upgraded my opinion. He's adorably eccentric, and one heck of a gifted designer.

I thought it was amusing that Heidi commented that some of the designs next week look "cheap." I think her whole method of dressing makes her look cheap - no matter how expensive the garments may be.

Note to Gretchen: Please learn how to make garments that don't show the sides of the wearer's boobs. If you're as good as you think you are, that shouldn't be much of a challenge.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by queenofitall;4073962;
    I think the lack of viewship of project runway on Lifetime speaks volumes. Notice there are only five of us even discussing the show here. I don't know if it is the lack of airings on Lifetimes part, or the designers are very blah this season, but somethings the matter somewhere. Has Project Runway jumped the shark????
    I don't know if the show is ruined forever (it did come back after that terrible LA season), but I hate this season. The contestants have been acting like children, and the judges have been in another world. As somebody said, they've lowered themselves to the petty/bitchy reality TV level.

I really don't like the 90 minute length, either. I want to see the fashions, not hear endless asides about how they don't like each other or other personal stuff. As the teenagers say, TMI. I must say, though, that I feel sorry for Mondo. I knew a guy in college who was gay but was afraid to tell his family. How terrible.

And on another note, I do not appreciate having another extended commercial for HP.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

Pan Am stewardesses: prepared for anything!

Watching the show now...

I liked each of Mondo's prints, but together they made my eyes water. I'm glad he won, though, because I love Mondo. Kors was right--it was so inspirational for Mondo to make that print.

Michael seemed creepy when he explained his design. "Evil eye"? "Family full of secrets"? Sounds like they're mobsters.

I liked Valerie's print, but I didn't like her design. I was also glad that the judges called her on making a clone of her party dress. That being said, however, I nearly cried during her critiques at the end. What grace! It was also nice of her to apologize to Michael. I believe that leaves just Gretchen and Andy who haven't.

Speaking of which, I felt sorry for the latter when she talked about her mother and stepfather. That still doesn't excuse her behavior, though. I work in special education, so I know plenty of parents who have to deal with the hardship of having a child in a wheelchair. Many of them have still remained gracious and kind despite this.
    Maggie: "While she takes care of the men with the guns, why don't you sit down and I'll make you a nice, hot cup of tea?"

FORT Fogey

I would agree that Mondo clearly has the most well-defined point of view, and I appreciate his use of color. I suspect that would make ready-to-wear versions of his runway designs popular. I mean, I like a nice black skirt of pair of pants as much as the next person, but I don't want to wear all black all the time. I like April, but when Mondo made the remark two weeks ago about not understanding why anyone would want a box of crayons with only one color in it, I thought of her. Gretchen's print would have worked better with a variety of sizes, but I also didn't see anything all that special about it, and she used so little of it. In fact, I found it odd how many of the designers created designs that really didn't showcase their own fabric that much. I thought it was funny that Michael pointed out that his design included a tiny evil eye. I guess he figured if the judges got too critical about his design, it would end up working against them instead of him. When Mondo admitted to being HIV positive for a decade--something his family didn't even know--that was brave, but it made me wonder if the show has any kind of medical information about the contestants ahead of time. Not that I think it's the producers business to know every single thing about the personal medical histories of its contestants, but given that people do get hurt even on PR, it might be necessary for them to have emergency access to their medical records. In the first season, Robert smacked his head against concrete, this season Ivy passed out and had to be hauled to the ER, and I could swear that at some point, someone ran a sewing machine needle through his/her finger. What if someone actually managed to get sick or injured enough not to be able to tell the doctor if he/she had an allergy to a particular drug or was HIV-positive or whatever? I realize they probably all have emergency contact numbers, but still....PR contestants are from all over the place, and it might not be that easy to get ahold of their contacts/next of kin fast enough in a really bad situation. And perhaps I'm worrying over nothing. Could be it's now so easy to access records from virtually anywhere electronically that it's not a problem, even in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4074717;

[snip]

Gretchen's print would have worked better with a variety of sizes, but I also didn't see anything all that special about it, and she used so little of it. In fact, I found it odd how many of the designers created designs that really didn't showcase their own fabric that much.
    I agree.

[snip]

When Mondo admitted to being HIV positive for a decade--something his family didn't even know--that was brave, but it made me wonder if the show has any kind of medical information about the contestants ahead of time. Not that I think it's the producers business to know every single thing about the personal medical histories of its contestants, but given that people do get hurt even on PR, it might be necessary for them to have emergency access to their medical records. In the first season, Robert smacked his head against concrete, this season Ivy passed out and had to be hauled to the ER, and I could swear that at some point, someone ran a sewing machine needle through his/her finger. What if someone actually managed to get sick or injured enough not to be able to tell the doctor if he/she had an allergy to a particular drug or was HIV-positive or whatever? I realize they probably all have emergency contact numbers, but still....PR contestants are from all over the place, and it might not be that easy to get ahold of their contacts/next of kin fast enough in a really bad situation. And perhaps I'm worrying over nothing. Could be it's now so easy to access records from virtually anywhere electronically that it's not a problem, even in an emergency.

I also wondered about that when he pinned that button to what's-her-name. What if he had pricked his finger and had gotten blood on her? Or simply had any kind of accident? It reminds me of a few years ago when the diver Greg Louganis had managed to conceal his HIV until he had a diving accident that required medical attention and he came clean. You make a good point, Tilden. What if somebody is unable to tell others about vital medical stuff like this? I know from experience that it can take time to track down an emergency contact and time is of the essence in a medical emergency.

Valerie is an annoying uptalker, and can and has been a real bitch, but I have to give her props for leaving with class. Sure, there was an element of "all about me" to her 3 minutes of rambling about why she loved everyone, but she did seem sincere.

Gretchen, while she came out of her safe box and FINALLY did something different from the monotonous earth tones of all of her other outfits, still bugged me this episode. She just won't shut up. EVER. Always a comment, for every occasion. Always a judgment of some kind, even if they're occasionally positive (but mostly not). If Gretchen is breathing, she's talking, and someone needs to pop her one in the mouth or something. Maybe there's something about her upbringing which explains her. I dunno. She's not a horrible person, I think, but she's got to be hell to work or live with.

Cynically I found myself wondering if the timing of Mondo's reveal was about influencing the judges, but then thought about it a bit. Everyone on that runway, certainly including himself, had to sense he was already winning, even before he told his story. It was pretty obvious. So telling the story was unnecessary from that point of view. So indeed it seems he probably told it for other reasons. Being in front of the whole nation may still have been a factor (its certainly a good way to get national attention to a message). Plus, he'd already told the Interview cameras the important bits even before that--so the cat was already out of the bag (sometimes on reality TV its hard to tell the exact shooting order of interview bits, but in this case it seems probable that the interview where he explained the pluses was before).

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny;4074282;
    As much as it pains me I think so. I love this show, I really do. I became a Kors-aholic because of this show.

This year...it isn't really the contestants that are nasty, it is the judges & that is what I don't like about this season.
    Well the thing is its Kors who takes the most cheap shots in the critiques. Nina, surprisingly, has softened a bit and overall I think she's the one who couches things the best the last season or two. Not always, there are some real noticeable exceptions where her inner witch comes out, but overall she's almost been the soft touch on the panel lately.

Heidi isn't as bad as Kors in terms of cheap shots, but she's a real close second.
    Last edited by Krom; 10-02-2010 at 01:43 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

1. Mondo's design was understandably the winner but mostly because the others were not good at all. I personally don't "get" the new trend that's popular where you put different prints together but I do understand that it is now considered to be good fashion. I'm from the matchy match era but I can strecth my mind to see what they are saying and I do love change. To me, it was excellently done (even tho not to my taste) except I thought it looked like the crotch was too long. But it wasn't all that great unless compared with the others which were far worse.

2. Valerie did go out as a class act. She seemed a lot nicer now that Ivy was gone. She was like a whole new person without the Evil Ivy.

3. Christopher's dress looked like a Louis Vuitton purse turned into a dress. There was no point in him designing a fabric since he could have just used black and you'd hardly know the difference.

4. Andy is a spectacular designer but he just wasn't into it this time at all.

I think it was apparent that Mondo first told Tim Gunn the "story" behind his fabric design. There would be no reason for Tim to tear up and get so emotional afterwards unless he had. Nothing he said could have caused that reaction w/o revealing the truth. So that means he told the "truth" in his personal interviews and with Tim but kept up the pretense of it being a secret to the judges and fellow contestants.

I am somewhat suspicious of Mondo's behavior but I will say that I don't think he is even aware of it himself.
    He portrays himself as a little boy, with his short pants and tiny voice and it's hard to get upset with sweet little boys.

In the begining of the season, I remember him talking about how alone he felt, how hard it was for him to get to know the others and how they didn't make him feel welcome.

I'm not really saying that Mondo is playing the sympathy card here because he doesn't seem to be that kind of a scheming evil type of person. But I have met people who play the poor innocent unfortunate person which makes most people want to help and feel so bad for the misfortunes of others. I'm sure some will think I'm being hateful and extremely unkind about Mondo but it's just this funny little feeling I got while watching the show. I'm probably wrong about the whole thing but if he is playing everyone, he's damn good at it. Although I don't think it's necessary since he's very talented and very passionate about designing. We'll never know the truth and I guess it doesn't matter.

Please don't stone me or burn me at the stake for just expressing the little thoughts that keep nagging me when I watch Mondo.
    I'm just wondering and expressing it.

I'm sure some will think I'm being hateful and extremely unkind about Mondo but it's just this funny little feeling I got while watching the show.
    Well I don't think that, because I've seen the same thing (and like you, kind of from the beginning). I get the sense that maybe he's not intentionally playing a role to manipulate (although I DID briefly consider the possibility with this episode), but that he's just a dramatic soul who lays it out on the table and gladly reaps the rewards. If nobody responds he can tell himself he's misunderstood and make himself feel good that way, and if people DO respond to the lost little boy shtick (its not even dependent on his HIV status), then he gets another way to feel good. Its win/win for him in a way.

It doesn't change the fact that he's hands down the best designer there. Its just telling that he's somebody who needs that external validation.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4074848;
    I think it was apparent that Mondo first told Tim Gunn the "story" behind his fabric design. There would be no reason for Tim to tear up and get so emotional afterwards unless he had. Nothing he said could have caused that reaction w/o revealing the truth. So that means he told the "truth" in his personal interviews and with Tim but kept up the pretense of it being a secret to the judges and fellow contestants. I am somewhat suspicious of Mondo's behavior but I will say that I don't think he is even aware of it himself. He portrays himself as a little boy, with his short pants and tiny voice and it's hard to get upset with sweet little boys. In the begining of the season, I remember him talking about how alone he felt, how hard it was for him to get to know the others and how they didn't make him feel welcome. I'm not really saying that Mondo is playing the sympathy card here because he doesn't seem to be that kind of a scheming evil type of person. But I have met people who play the poor innocent unfortunate person which makes most people want to help and feel so bad for the misfortunes of others. I'm sure some will think I'm being hateful and extremely unkind about Mondo but it's just this funny little feeling I got while watching the show. I'm probably wrong about the whole thing but if he is playing everyone, he's damn good at it. Although I don't think it's necessary since he's very talented and very passionate about designing. We'll never know the truth and I guess it doesn't matter. Please don't stone me or burn me at the stake for just expressing the little thoughts that keep nagging me when I watch Mondo. I'm just wondering and expressing it.

First, let me say right off no stoning or burning at the stake here, lol. Just a bit of a different thoughtful opinion. I belive Mondo's PI's were done in 2 parts with the most significant part of it done after winning the challenge. They always do a it of a debriefing after the runway at the end of the week. I think the part where he mentioned the positive symbols and reason for it was before the runway. I think Tim Gunn getting teary could have been a response to learning of Mondo's status from the producers who conducted the PI not from Mondo. They may have wanted Tim to know so that he didn't press the inspiration question too hard with Mondo hoping for the big reveal and dramatic efect that ended up happening at the runway. However, some of Tim's emotion could hav e benn just for the reason he said, the emotion that the season was coming to a close with it getting down to the final 7. Heid was quoted as saying that this season's cast was the one she had gotten the most close to at Fashion week. Perhaps Tim felt the same way, hence his emotion. Either way, the majority of Mondo's PI was done after the Runway, talking about his mom, the win, and further about his disease. The reality show producers are always on top of how a story develops, even when it happens naturally, and how they can work the situation further to make it beneficial for their ratings purposes. So, I think with Mondo what happened with him was organic to what he was going through but, the producers took advantage of it to further it along for the show.

Regarding Mondo's behavior, dress, and personality, I have a different view. Consider his stature, terminal illness, familial religious beliefs, and sexuality. The way Mondo dresses and carries himself to is no different than the way last season's winner Seth Aaron would carry himself. The only difference between them is Mondo is not over 6 feet tall, straight, extroverted. The way he dresses is an expression of his style not necessarily as a way to portray himself as a little boy or to garner sympathy intentionally or unwittingly. Mondo is of small stature that's fact and genetics. He also has his flair as a homesexual male and designer. Seth Aaron used to wear crazy stuff much in the same style and do his hair the same way, except fo rthings which his stature couldn't get a way with.

Also, consider living with a terminal illness for 10 years with the people closest to you never knowing. It is very isolating even if you have a few friends who may know. Plus, many with the disease can often isolate themselves form those friends and relationships when they are diagnosed and choose to live a mor e solitary existence. Add into it the Latino Catholic culture when it comes to feelings on homosexuality and the disease and it's not a pretty picture. In Mondo's case it's a double side of secrets his homosexuality and his illness. One of which was initially encouraged by his mother in the beginning. Sometimes it cn get tiring putting up the front with everyone to hide the secret so you choose to stay isolated. I think that is how Mondo was coming into the show, not to mention choosing to open yourself up to people you didn't know an dthat you were competing against probably never entered his mind. I think his friendship with Micahel C was the first thing to break the ice with him and that was something pushed on him at the time. Can Mondo be a jerk at times, rude, mean, etc. like everyone else? Certainly, he's no saint. I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is I think his behaviour is a product of who he is , what he's going through in life, his personality and his design esthetic. I don't think it was a poor me I need attention intentionally or an unintentional if I act this way I hope I get attention. I just think it was him going through what he was at the time being in this experience. I think the experience may be beneficial to him personally in the long run. Alot of people when the get isolated in the pressure cooker of reality shows and constaly put to self introspection when they have to do these constant private interviews reveal things and learn things that they never would have thought they would have. JMO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast