+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 9/23 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

FORT Fogey

Re: 9/23 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

I had to laugh when Gretchen claimed that color to be HERS and hers alone. That's so immature but Gretchen doesn't have a filter when she speaks.

What really confused me about that was that the material she was using and the material Michael was using didn't appear to be the same color in the first place, at least not on the television I was watching. Same color family, sure, but not the exact same shade. And his had that gold metallic sheen to it to fit with his choice of metallic, while she was working with velvet. So what was the problem? I didn't understand her snatching that whole bolt of camel fabric from Michael last week and saying she was using it. So? If it's not against the rules of the show for two designers to choose the same fabric for the same challenge, he wasn't doing anything wrong. Heck, they've had challenges where everyone had to use the same fabric or some shade of the same color in the past. I don't think it's reasonable for any designer to expect that a particular fabric or color is his/hers alone.

I'm also flummoxed as to why the judges loved Gretchen's weird retro caftan. My first thought was that it was exactly the same style caftan that all of us were forced to make in my seventh grade home ec class as a beginning sewing project. Yes, she did a lot more detail work with it, but it's not the most amazing or flattering design for most women. I also just felt like the feathers and the beading and the velvet and the layering got to be a bit much, and I agree with Michael Kors that the hair was way too costumey--it looked all Ren festival to me. Andy's was over the top too, but it was more original and really well-constructed, and his ready to wear look was great. I was kind of surprised he didn't win, because I thought his ready to wear look was enough better than Mondo's to get him the win.

I liked Michael's ready to wear look too, but he needed to edit his runway garment, particularly with regard to that enormous train.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Shoot The Gems Hard Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4069616;
    [snipped] I didn't understand her snatching that whole bolt of camel fabric from Michael last week and saying she was using it. So? If it's not against the rules of the show for two designers to choose the same fabric for the same challenge, he wasn't doing anything wrong. Heck, they've had challenges where everyone had to use the same fabric or some shade of the same color in the past. I don't think it's reasonable for any designer to expect that a particular fabric or color is his/hers alone. ...
    It's not reasonable. The camel fabric snatch was perplexing. Michael was standing there considering using the fabric (and how was he to know Gretchen wanted it) when she comes and pulls it away. Bullying behavior? Maybe. Rude? Definitely.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;4069671;
    It's not reasonable. The camel fabric snatch was perplexing. Michael was standing there considering using the fabric (and how was he to know Gretchen wanted it) when she comes and pulls it away. Bullying behavior? Maybe. Rude? Definitely.
    I thought it also bespoke a sort of insecurity, as if Gretchen couldn't have anyone else using her fabric/color, for fear of comparisons. I don't think that's a big deal--the best design using the fabric/color should still be acknowledged. There are plenty of times when a number of designers use black, for instance. It's not as if the judges still can't tell (well, usually can't tell) which black outfit is the best designed. Besides, every season there are certain colors/fabrics that are hot and are used by a lot of designers, particularly in ready to wear lines. For instance, now there are ads touting grey as the new black when a season or so ago it was brown that was the new black. It's not as if any real world designer gets to designate a color or fabric as hers/his unless she/he actually designed the fabric or developed a signature color that the fashion world has not yet seen. It's not as if it was at all difficult to tell the difference between Michael's dress and Gretchen's on the runway--there was a slight similarity in color, but other than that they were wildly different.

I also didn't get her "I've created a monster" comment. I doubt Michael C. is designing with the sole goal of tormenting her in mind. I'm pretty sure he cares more about the money, prizes etc. than her opinion of anything, and PR isn't really the kind of show where toying with a competitor's mind works all that well, so why would he bother?

I'll be interested to see how Gretchen reacts to being without her sidekick Ivy. I don't quite get why so many of the other designers appear to be siding with her, unless she's much nicer than we're seeing off-camera and Michael C. is much more annoying. Personally, no matter how well meaning she is, I wouldn't appreciate her offering her opinion on something I was doing unless I asked her to do so if for no other reason than that it would be distracting. And I'd really have wanted to tell her where to shove her pinking shears for her "now everyone remember to clean up your station" remark. Unless someone else's mess is creeping over into your workspace, I don't see how that's anyone else's business.

Does anyone have any theories as to what the heck will be going on in the next ep. The preview makes it look rather chaotic.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Accusation of cheating. Michael C looking upset. Heidi saying quite forcefully that "He should not have done that." Mondo looking weepy. Gretchen (I think) throwing something across the workroom in anger. Maybe toward Michael C? Hard to tell.

It may be a bit of redirection. If
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Michael C
    is the bad
    Click to see Spoiler:
    guy
    , they kind of gave it away with the preview.

Anyway, I thought the color comment was silly, because the fabrics did not look that alike to me. Who knows if Michael C was tweaking her a bit because of her fabric grab the challenge before. (I've read that someone said she had pulled that bolt of fabric before Michael C got to it, but I don't remember ANYTHING like that being shown on the episode. She wasn't even that close to it when he was fingering it)

FORT Fogey

Anyway, I thought the color comment was silly, because the fabrics did not look that alike to me. Who knows if Michael C was tweaking her a bit because of her fabric grab the challenge before. (I've read that someone said she had pulled that bolt of fabric before Michael C got to it, but I don't remember ANYTHING like that being shown on the episode. She wasn't even that close to it when he was fingering it)[/QUOTE]

Even if he wanted to use it, she had no idea how he was planning on using it. Maybe he was thinking of it as an accent color rather than making it a large part of his design, in which case it really wouldn't have mattered if they'd both used it--though, truthfully, if they'd both used it as their major source of material, I doubt their designs would have been anything alike, so what difference would it really make? And you're absolutely right that Michael had no way of knowing if she had pulled it or if someone else had pulled it, or even if the person who had originally pulled it out had reconsidered and just hadn't taken the time to shove it back in, since they're all on a time limit at Mood.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2;4069382;
    When they excused the 2 that were safe, April and ??, I just knew Gretchen was in the bottom 3 with that hideous hippy monstrocity. I was stunned when they gushed ...
    I don't understand why they like Gretchen either...she is sooooooooo full of herself...she won those first two challenges and all of a sudden she thought she was all that and was all of a sudden an expert and was telling everyone else what to do...she needs that chip knocked off her shoulder and get a reality check and she should have gotten it this past week because her dresses were awful in my opinion...Andy seems to be making to great strives to improve himself and I really think with time that Mondo will be the person to beat...he has really come out with some great designs...not that I know the difference...the only fashion I know comes from Wal Mart...lol
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe;4069506;
    All the judges loved Andy's clothes and not one had a negative to say about it but he lost to Mondo. I think he should have won. As for the bottom 2, it was a toss up but I think Valerie was right, she should have been the one going home because she wasn't really happy with her work. I'm glad though that Ivy is gone. I don't think she has anything else to show us, contrary to her closing remarks. So again I think the judges got it wrong but I'm still happy with the results. I hope Andy and Mondo make the finale. Not sure who the 3rd one is but it may be Gretchen even though she is hated by many in the FORT.
    I think a lot of people do dislike Gretchen, here on FORT and the other designers. I'm not fond of her because she seems so full of herself (at least what the edit shows us) and can be quite annoying. But I don't hate her and I don't think she's a mean person. I disagreed with people calling her a bully. If she asserts herself and her veiws and others don't protest and go along with it, that doesn't make a bully. They should have spoken up or rebelled against her if they didn't like it. She had no way of threatening them so they were free to do things differently, but not give in to her and then complain about it. She's just a difficult person to like.

I finally found Tim's vlog on starcasm.net and I'm glad I did. It explained a lot that we didn't see. Love how Tim elegantly tells his side of the story without demeaning anyone else. But I can also see why he would remove it due to offending people at Lifetime and the show.
    Love that man.

FORT Fogey

Saw a different version of the next episode's previews during The Brave One. I wonder what the cheating allegations are. From the previews shown after the last show, it seems it goes as deep as the finale (where Heidi was wearing the orange pantsuit). I know it involves Michael C. accusing someone with dark hair (most likely Valerie) of stealing a design (from the previews at the start of the season). I wonder how this all panned out. Ughh, I can't stand the suspense!

Just saw another preview (similar to the one shown after the last show). It's clearly showing Gretchen hurling fabric across the workroom. And I wonder what Mondo's secret is. And this doesn't usually happen but it seems that Heidi visited the workroom. Uuugghhh!!!
    Last edited by watts; 09-27-2010 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairon;4068879;
    Gretchen should NOT have been in the top three.

Those dresses were made for 60-year-olds! People have gotten eliminated for looks that were less maternal-looking. Cassanova got sent home for a design that didn't look as old as this one.

HELL NO that Gretchen should have been even remotely in the safe-zone.
    Hold on! I am 60+ and no way would I wear one of Wretchen's awful designs!!
    I do like Michael C's stuff so that may be a bad thing for him.

Mondo is so edgy, I would've worn his designs when I was young and thin-not so much now though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast