+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 9/2 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Re: 9/2 Show Discussion *Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;4054733;
    TLo (from Project Rungay) interviewed Peach for their blog today. Here's a snippet that might shed some light on why Michael C. is so despised by the cast: She was very polite about it, but it ties in with what other leaving contestants have said. Apparently, he talks about sex. A lot. And most of his comments in the workroom had very heavy sexual connotations that were borderline offensive attached to them that made a lot of people (including the men) feel uncomfortable. What's REALLY interesting is that Lifetime is showing NONE of this. Hmmm...
    Very interesting interview. Thanks for he heads up on it. I think I like Peach even more. I have to believe her about Michael C. It makes me wonder if Lifetime isn't showing any of this side of his behavior, maybe they didn't show him telling the crowd at the button-voting exhibit that Ivy was the beyotch of the show. As you said, the question is why isn't Lifetime showing this. Peach said Michael was very upfront that he was "creating" this character to get his own reality show. Maybe the producer got wind of that and decided to thwart his plan by editing him as a soft little marshmallow instead of a potty-mouth hard ass.

To the Point

That is interesting, however, Michael C. is responsible for Michael C.. That leaves everyone else being responsible for their attitudes and behavior. While it does shed a HUGE light on what's behind much of what we are seeing, it does not excuse the behavior of the others. It just shows their ugly underbellies. They would be much better served to temper their attitudes and the way they choose to express them, especially in front of the judges! As many have said, it is a whole lot easier for things to be edited out (which is obviously the case with Michael C.) than it is to edit in (the others couldn't have that edit shown if they didn't give them the ammo).

Oh that's a very interesting interview with Peach. I didn't always like Peach's designs, but I felt she was a straightforward girl with a heart of gold who looked for the good she could find in everyone. I trust her dislike of Michael, even if we don't get to see it ourselves. We all pretty much knew something was going on that we weren't privy to with Michael.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;4054383;
    Excellent post, babbred. Welcome!

While reading your post about Ivy's irrational hatred of Michael, I just had a thought about the rumor at the exhibition. I wonder if Ivy, upon seeing Michael's jar fill up with buttons and hers nearly empty, couldn't reconcile that in her mind. How could a great designer (her) not be rewarded with buttons while a crappy designer's (Michael) dress was loved? So she had to create a scenario that would explain the discordance: Michael must be turning people against her.
    When she told Valerie that some of the people at the exhibition said that Michael C. was sabotaging her, Valerie said that she heard the same thing.

Kip
    FORT Fogey Spider Solitaire Arkadium Champion, Bookworm Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Titans Champion, Sky Blocks Champion

Quote Originally Posted by watts;4055026;
    When she told Valerie that some of the people at the exhibition said that Michael C. was sabotaging her, Valerie said that she heard the same thing.
    I missed that. I have to say that I'm revising my opinions on what I've seen after reading what Peach had to say about Michael C. Regarding that incident, my recollection is that Ivy said Michael was telling people she was the beyotch of the show. Maybe that is true. What Michael denied was telling people that he dissed her design. If Michael C.'s behavior is as described by Peach, it doesn't excuse all of the behavior I've had issues with--for instance, throwing Michael under the bus on the runway hat challenge or Gretchen's completely ignoring Michael's suggestion at the planning session. But I'm more forgiving of the group's response to Michael when after leaving the runway after a good judge's review or win, he's met with no response. I wish we could see what actually happened.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Having not been in the workroom, none of us can be 100% sure of what's actually happening. However . . .

If I'm in an environment (and I have been) where a colleague is making crude sexually offensive comments and uses language that is inappropriate in a public area, my complaints about that person are about the comments and language.

I worked in a tech support area where we were confined to our workstations by the nature of what we did. The man behind me, after each phone call, would declare out loud for all to hear, "What a f*****g loser!" (referring to his customers). Between calls he would tell jokes and make extremely inappropriate comments about any woman who walked by. (He, by the way, was 300+ pounds and not terribly familiar with the basic concepts of hygiene. But all these women supposedly wanted him and would be privileged if he were willing to . . . ) Even with all that, the guy knew tech support, and was far more skilled than I in that area.

But when it got to be too much to listen to him for 40 hours a week and I decided to speak with the manager about it, I did not go in there and say, "Alec doesn't know anything about tech support." I said that he was using language and sexual references that were against company policy and that it was creating a hostile work environment.

So how come none of the designers are complaining about Michael C's other reported behaviors? When he walks into the room after a win, why isn't anyone saying, "Your design was okay, but it's hard for us to be happy for you because we can't get past your habits of sexual innuendos and foul language." They're just saying, "He doesn't know about design, construction, etc." The judges - all experts in their field - don't have a problem with his technical skills.

I just don't get it. Why not address the actual problem - if there is one.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Kip

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;4055120;
    [snipped]

So how come none of the designers are complaining about Michael C's other reported behaviors? When he walks into the room after a win, why isn't anyone saying, "Your design was okay, but it's hard for us to be happy for you because we can't get past your habits of sexual innuendos and foul language." They're just saying, "He doesn't know about design, construction, etc." The judges - all experts in their field - don't have a problem with his technical skills.

I just don't get it. Why not address the actual problem - if there is one.
    Perhaps they did. If Michael C's behavior is as Peach says it is (and I do believe Peach), then the producers for some reason have chosen not to air any of this behavior or the designers' reactions to it and conversations about it.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kip;4055127;
    Perhaps they did. If Michael C's behavior is as Peach says it is (and I do believe Peach), then the producers for some reason have chosen not to air any of this behavior or the designers' reactions to it and conversations about it.
    That is, indeed, a possibility. And if I find out that the producers are being that manipulative towards the audience, it will probably be my last season of PR. I don't like being misled - either by contestants or production decisions. I prefer to make up my own mind, based on full and correct information.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Dress wise, I think Mondo deserved to win, but as a whole look, Michael C deserved to win. When I saw Mondo's model come down the runway the first thing I thought was Jersey Shore. She had it all... that ugly snookie like face, the hair, everything. It wasn't bad, but it brought in a level of trashy pop culture that distracted from how beautiful the dress was. And then Mondo said she was from Jersey Shore. So obvious. And the comment about "Snooki and the Flintstones" was spot on. Michael C's was like Megan Fox 101 but it worked A LOT.

I hate Ivy. She is a vile, narcisstic, rumor spreading woman. Do I trust her word? No. None of you should. She is the type of person who won't believe anything else than what benefits her. And it just makes NO sense for Michael C to spread rurmors either. Do you think people like being outcast or drama? If anybody, Michael C doesn't like it, so why would he do that? He wouldn't. We only saw Ivy say she heard the rumor too, but I'm betting she heard/saw something totally innocent and misinterpreted in 100 different ways.

And Gretchen and her little gaggle of "I'm so greats" are getting schooled by Michael C and it's karma. Karma for the way they are acting. And even if he wasn't a good designer or couldn't sew, he has a good attitude and never displays the "I deserve it" attitude they have towards winning or being in the top. When he wins, he's super excited and totally shocked. If they were to win, I could look into their internal monologues and find something self serving and ugly. It reminds me of when Tiger Woods burst onto the scene. Golf had always been a kind of old, rich, white guy sport, and in comes this young, black guy who just annihilated everybody in sight. I bet they acted the same way.

FORT Fan

Interesting about Peach... it reveals the editing process.

BUT... if Michael C really was such a hard-ass or wanted to be seen as such... why all those tears? Why the timid reactions on the runway and after the runway?

I'm talking timid, not sucking up. I haven't seen Michael suck up to the judges, not in any shape or way that is out of place, or any different from the rest of the group. Casanova described him as humble.

If Michael C really is a monster, they've managed to hide it extremely well, but I don't get why. Because if Michael C is so much worse than Wretchen, it would make a lot more sense to make it a season with one really obvious villain, instead of making it a season with every other designer being a villain. You want the audience to root for your participants, not hate the majority of the group. As it stands now you have an extremely unlikeable cast of characters who keep picking on a single member of the group, that alienates me as a viewer because I don't want to see any of these people win. As a viewer I want to see someone who deserves to win.

I get that you need drama, but it strikes me as really strange that they're doing it this way.

And not only that, but Tim Gunn chimed in and confirmed that Wretchen was the queen bee of the bullying and that everybody threw Michael C under the buss.

I like Peach, but if she wants to start a discussion on the editing... let's review her own case. We never saw her stick up for Michael C, or beat him down. The camera cut away just in time when she was having a conversation with April where she was talking about Michael C having no talent. Did she get a "neutral" edit, which in this case means a favorable edit?

If Michael C really is that obnoxious it would have been too tempting an opportunity for the producers to have this shine through. As it stands now there's no solid evidence. And with the case being as it is, everything that designers tell us through interviews after the fact will seem like them continuing their bullying behaviour. I want to take her word for it, but at the same time I need to keep in mind that this is the first, and right now the only sign, that Michael is somehow responsible for how the others are treating him.
    This is not a signature.

+ Reply to Thread