+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 8/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: 8/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4050432;
    Thanks for the new nickname it fits perfectly.
    Would love to take credit for it, but I was looking at another website and saw references to Wretchen and Poison Ivy. Thought they were both appropriate nicknames!
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Another "nickname" I found online. Team Luxe = Team Luze.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by thedragonlady;4050452;
    Tim's words were actually: "I donít know why you allowed Gretchen to manipulate, control, and bully you. I donít understand it. A.J., youíve taken the bullet, and now I have to send you to the workroom to clean up your space.Ē

Personally, I don't think Gretchen bullied anyone. She is a very strong, opinionated, talks too much, know-it-all and tries to control every situation. I think Tim was exasperated with all the rest of her group that allowed her to take total control, and in so doing, a lot of them, lost their own individual take on the designs. They were all so cookie-cutter with nothing to identify who did what or make their own mark on the design. They allowed Gretchen to tell them what to design. Gretchen can't be the bad guy if everyone lets her control and manipulate them, while giving up their own identities. It became The Gretchen's Collection and they were the seamstressers/tailors/?? rather than designers. Shame on them.:nono
    If it was Gretchen's Collection why didn't she go home? She should have.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;4050589;
    If it was Gretchen's Collection why didn't she go home? She should have.
    Because the whole collection wasn't bad. Just the execution. Like Ivy's improperly proportioned look and AJ's shirt-dress. A lot of the pieces were good. The other team only had lace as a cohesive factor (it did not look like a collection at all, except for Casanova's and Michael D's did mesh). But between the 2 collections, team luxe did seem plain compared to the other. And Casanova's look gave that team the edge. Had that team lost April would have obviously gone home. She has horrible taste and dubious skillset.

Also, after watching the show a 3rd time, it wasn't a dictatorship as a lot believe it to be. The direction was "guided" by Gretchen but everyone had creative output on the execution (like AJ had an idea how to do a "tailored" shirtdress and seemed thrilled about it). And no one was throwing anyone under the bus. It was just that the direction of the judges' inquisition (specifically Heidi) onto who should be eliminated pointed to a weak link (which was true). I thought Ivy was horrible yet a lot of issues with Gretchen in the past made her a target, leading people to gang up on her.
    Last edited by watts; 08-28-2010 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by watts;4050598;
    Because the whole collection wasn't bad. Just the execution. Like Ivy's improperly proportioned look and AJ's shirt-dress. A lot of the pieces were good. The other team only had lace as a cohesive factor (it did not look like a collection at all, except for Casanova's and Michael D's did mesh). But between the 2 collections, team luxe did seem plain compared to the other. And Casanova's look gave that team the edge. Had that team lost April would have obviously gone home. She has horrible taste and dubious skillset.
    I don't think I liked any of the pieces. Using the same awful color pallet does not make a collection work. They were right, there was no luxury in it. Tailoring was bad. It did look old. That thin belt with Andy's sweater aged the look and did not make it seem fresh. It also added a bit of bulk to the model.

Christopher's top was something my mother would have worn. The back view of Gretchen's outfit was nice, but the front look was rather boring. Don't get me started on Ivy's. Even with the badly fitting shorts, those leggings were ugh and took it to another bad level. Michael's dress was OK, but I didn't like the shoes. And was the dress the same material as Ivy's leggins?

The other collection was not perfect by any means (April's was the worst), but I could see that it was a collection. Hardware, lace, some subtle cuts. April's was the only one that kind of stood out (beside the unfortunate look to it), but I could see it as a collection.

I caught the show only at the end, so when I saw the collections come down, I really didn't pay attention as to who was on what team or whose name was on them. The losing team definitely deserved to lose.

And the thing with Gretchen, I thought it was bad when in the workroom she said that she was not the type of person to throw people under the bus. They ALL agreed to not change their tunes even when the judges pressed. Most of them folded, but Gretchen also threw the collection under the bus and would not stop talking. She sold it before, over sold it, so her dismissal of it was glaring. She almost seemed as if she was talking over herself because she sensed the danger and was doing all she could to backpedal from her original support.

I'll need to watch the entire thing from the beginning to see about the "bullying." But Tim does see more than we do. I also think he was trying to wake up the other designers that they were being sheep.

But in the end, I think, Ivy came off the worse. She was right up there, egging Gretchen on, seeming to approve everything she said and praise themselves as the best. Then she said everyone kind of woke up when Tim talked. I think she woke up to the fact that attaching herself with Gretchen might not be the best tactic to winning.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Allie;4050659;
    I'll need to watch the entire thing from the beginning to see about the "bullying." But Tim does see more than we do. I also think he was trying to wake up the other designers that they were being sheep.
    But I doubt that he was there with the camera crew when the team was deliberating about their collection. And I doubt that he had time to watch footages of what occured prior to the runway. So I think it was all assumption on his part.

There was a time when I thought I would never dislike a PR contestant more than Wendy Pepper. Then I thought I would never dislike anyone more than Santino. Then, there was Jeffery. And that stood for a good long while.

And now, there is Gretchen. :

I watch this with my daughters, 2 16 year olds, a 14 year old and an 11 year old. And they all commented about how rude, and selfish and self-aggrandizing Gretchen's comments were.

We all cheered with Michael Kors commented to the other judges about how her story changed. And we re-would about 5 times to catch Heidi's "looks" at Gretchen. And then everyone high fived when Tim gave the losers what we call in my family a "come to Jesus" speech.

Never has there been a person who lacks self awareness more than Gretchen!

Quote Originally Posted by watts;4050914;
    But I doubt that he was there with the camera crew when the team was deliberating about their collection. And I doubt that he had time to watch footages of what occured prior to the runway. So I think it was all assumption on his part.
    I agree here; however, there is one other thing to consider: Tim could be there off camera watching the judging and critiques of the top and bottom designs.

He also could possibly deduce what was going on between what he saw in the workshop and the comments that were made in the judging.

By no means am I saying this could not be an assumption on his part when he addressed them, but there are other things to consider in this area.

BTW, as much as I was not a fan of Irina or Emilio's attitudes, they COULD design and design rather interesting and beautiful pieces. Gretchen right now has mostly had boring pieces, save possibly the party shop one.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;4050941;
    I agree here; however, there is one other thing to consider: Tim could be there off camera watching the judging and critiques of the top and bottom designs.

He also could possibly deduce what was going on between what he saw in the workshop and the comments that were made in the judging.

By no means am I saying this could not be an assumption on his part when he addressed them, but there are other things to consider in this area.
    I watched the episode and the first part where they were strategizing and there was no bullying going on (Tim said bullying). It was democratic although mostly Gretchen giving her ideas and everyone else concurring. There was no arguing or arm twisting. No one else gave ideas that ran against Gretchen's ideas. Where was the bullying that Tim refering to? It was an assumption that he formulated from what occured in the runway and the vibe that Gretchen was giving him.

+ Reply to Thread