+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 8/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 8/26 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;4050089;
    In my entire life I don't think I've heard a more annoying "uptalker" than Valerie. It takes a special level of annoyingness to uptalk single syllable words like "it" (or as Valerie says "iyIIIITTTT").
    Unfortunately it comes with living in the NE Ohio area, lol. There is no doubt she is from here, haha.

To the Point

Gretchen is a bully in spirit. She doesn't have to use bullying words, her attitude exudes a bullying mentality. Add that to the fact that they all seemed to be a bit in awe of her, and seemed to have bought her hype, and she led them like a bunch of seriously dumb sheep. Hopefully this wasn't just a case of Gretchen getting a wake up call, but every single one of them should consider the need to wake up. Time will tell whether that happened. Arrogance was totally front and center during her talk with the judges. She does nothing to endear herself to others.

Tim Gunn, I suspect, has a big say in how this show goes. He's not some lacky! I thought he had every right to call her out, not only for the drama that it creates for ratings, but also because she just flat out deserved being called out. I also don't feel that there was anything wrong with the setting in which he chose to call her out. This is a show. This is not a 9 to 5 office job where calling someone out in front of their peers would be totally classless. I am sure that there was plenty of footage of Gretchen being her "charming" self that hit the cutting room floor. I am certain that he saw and heard way more of her annoying self-serving attitude and hateful, destructive interactions than those to which we were privy. GO TIM!!

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;4050314;
    I also don't feel that there was anything wrong with the setting in which he chose to call her out. This is a show. This is not a 9 to 5 office job where calling someone out in front of their peers would be totally classless.
    And the good thing is, now EVERYONE is on equal ground with understanding the dangers of working with Wretchen. If there are future team challenges, everyone can be equally wary.

I.Love.Tim.Gunn.

April regarding Michael's first pick (Gretchen): Would you hire Hitler?

It isn't as though they hadn't been complaining about her (except for her roommate, Ivy) but that this time she took it to a level of pointedly belittling Michael. I mean Michael was already confused about the lack of congratulations from the others when he won the last challenge (the edited conversations show everyone was surprised and not in a happy way) so he was already nervous about this challenge. That Gretchen played on that and Ivy dug in even deeper made for a horrible situation for him.

I don't know whether to be excited or not that he causes drama in the workroom next week. All I know is that I will watch and then comment about it.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I think Tim is slightly off-base with this one, but not THAT far. I don't think Gretchen bullied anyone, but she DID clearly drive the bus. Tim is interpreting the situation too dramatically, and not really treating them like adults, who had every opportunity to speak up.

The manipulation charge is a bit stranger. Did she assert herself out of proportion? Yes. But that's not even close to manipulation. The only person in the group who really seemed to unwillingly bend his will was Michael. The others, if they claim otherwise after the fact, are just trying to save face. AJ, for example, quite willingly adjusted his point of view. The man has a mouth, and presumably a brain, and nobody MADE him agree so easily to the plan which was presented. Overdramatizing a bunch of weak-willed willies, who let themselves be led, and calling it "manipulation" is kind of bull.

And whatever you think of her decisions, Gretchen had some valid points talking to the judges. Kors in particular came off as a massive chucklehead, the way he steered everything directly into the usual Reality Show track of trying to force a group to call each other out, and Heidi didn't do herself any favors either, with the assist where a pretty justified (and pretty universal) declaration of who did the worst on the team was positioned as trying to scapegoat the guy with immunity instead of it being the simple truth. It was like on some level the judges were offended that THEIR CHOICE for last week's win couldn't possibly ACTUALLY be a crappy workman.

And really, any panel which picks Casanova as best at ANYTHING needs to have their heads examined. Those pants were okay, but the top was STILL tragically bad.

This season has been ridiculous. From the very first week when Gretchen won (note: even though I'm sort of defending her now, that doesn't change the fact that she's a boring designer overall).

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4049774;
    I looked and couldn't find it. Do you have a link?
    Tim Gunn: Official Page Video | Facebook

Tim is on hiatus for 2 weeks but there are Vlogs for the other episodes. They are anywhere from 7 to 9 minutes long and in one of them I forget which hedoes mention that he finds Gretchen a bit difficult/troubling and he does hint there will be more Tim Gunn Smackdowns.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by watts;4049615;
    Grandpa got it wrong, again. I don't remember Gretchen bullying anyone. Everyone was in agreeance with her, there was no arm twisting involved. It was one of those things that looked good on paper but failed in the execution. I am an avid Gretchen fan and I loved her dress. And I honestly thought she was trying to help everyone so the whole team would be safe. And their collection was cohesive but allocating the pieces to different people was a bad decision because the proportions were off. But Ivy's was all hers and was completely awful. And AJ deserved to be eliminated because of the bad shirtdress (considering he attempted at it several times and he did say he wanted to show the judges that he was capable of doing tailoring although it just proved that he can't). And also Gretchen's change in tone could be attributed to her stress spreading herself too thin and not seeing the complete collection for what it truly. And in an afterthought, after it was pointed out to her, she does see the mistakes. And, come on, Michael C. is a horrible designer with horrible skills and horrible taste. It wasn't like they were throwing someone fabulously talented (and therefore, a threat) under the bus. And he had immunity. It would have been worse throwing AJ (oh, please!) under the bus considering he doesn't have immunity (tongue in cheek). Anyway, Tim should have been nice to her. Afterall, the grandpa sweater was obviously an homage to him.

I loved Austin's (Santino barely helped) wedding dress. And I loved that it was convertible.
    It was very evident in the first 2 episodes that her opinions where annoying the other designers.

Gretchen is also a control freak and she took total control of that team because she honestly believes no one else is better than her and she didn't want to lose. What I find hard to believe is that in a 2 day period 5 supposedly superior designers supposedly couldn't explain to Michael how to do a cowl collar. That that one item on his blouse could be so time consuming that it brought an entire team of brilliant designers down. Gretchen and her team held Micheal C in such contempt that they wanted to damage control anything he did and some how that was the reason there group failed. The reason that Team Luxe lost was because of Gretchen and she should have gone home because of it. I must admit it was fun to see her try to whine her way out of the disaster she created. It was fun to watch the judges faces when she tried to BS her way pass them.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian;4050342;
    And the good thing is, now EVERYONE is on equal ground with understanding the dangers of working with Wretchen. If there are future team challenges, everyone can be equally wary.

I.Love.Tim.Gunn.
    Thanks for the new nickname it fits perfectly.

Tim's words were actually: "I donít know why you allowed Gretchen to manipulate, control, and bully you. I donít understand it. A.J., youíve taken the bullet, and now I have to send you to the workroom to clean up your space.Ē

Personally, I don't think Gretchen bullied anyone. She is a very strong, opinionated, talks too much, know-it-all and tries to control every situation. I think Tim was exasperated with all the rest of her group that allowed her to take total control, and in so doing, a lot of them, lost their own individual take on the designs. They were all so cookie-cutter with nothing to identify who did what or make their own mark on the design. They allowed Gretchen to tell them what to design. Gretchen can't be the bad guy if everyone lets her control and manipulate them, while giving up their own identities. It became The Gretchen's Collection and they were the seamstressers/tailors/?? rather than designers. Shame on them.:nono

I think I just figured what's wrong with Gretchen. It's her mullet hairdo. That has got to be it!!!

+ Reply to Thread