+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 7/29 Season Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 7/29 Season Premiere Show Discussion **Spoilers**

I'm watching the 1st epi again and writing my observations. Tim said AJ does Heatherette-like stuff (so true, and what did he do the very first epi? A bustier dress with poufy skirt that would have Richie Rich and Trevor Rains screaming STOP! THIEF!). And when AJ commented to Sarah about meeting someone old in the competition they show Peach. And her testimonial/commentary segment showed her wearing a black sweater with white outline drawings of eyeglasses, etc. that "women of a certain age" typically wear. And what was that weird awkward silence highlighted between Gretchen and Jason. Michael Drummond seemed to be doing Rodarte-like knits. And something about Gretchen tells me that buyers for Saks, Neiman, (Kirna Zabete) should be heading to Portland in Oregon for their shops (2 words, GOLD MINE!).

FORT Fogey

PS Seems like the judges of Top Chef and PR have something against people wearing dreadlocks. And since when did Kelly Osbourne become a model?

I was rather shocked with the elimination. AJ should've been sent home instead of McKell. He merely flipped the kimono backwards and put an obi on it. He basically demonstrated to the panel that he has no imagination and doesn't know what to do when he is presented with large amounts of fabric.

Yeah, poor Casanova's dress was rather 80s-Cher-and-a-bit-J Lo-scarf dress-like but, I simply ADORE the bottom part of the dress. Also, as a belly dancer, I'd KILL to perform in that dress! And I know several others would, too!
    "My life gets less like chess and more like whack-a-mole every day."
    <-- "I'm Hexy and I know it!"

'Project Runway': Can Casanova bring the drama? | Show Tracker | Los Angeles Times

Itís obvious the judges couldn't ditch Casanova -- at this early stage, he seems the best hope for drama. Surely it would be Jason the bowler-boy, who admitted that his dress was "falling apart at the seams." No. "We are intrigued," Heidi declared, welcoming Jason and his hat into the fold of official candidates. Instead, McKell was sent packing from this "audition," even though Tim had complimented her dress. (As he explained in a Times profile, he often feels annoyed by the "crack-smoking judges" and their decisions, noting, "I say hello to them when they come on the set. I frequently don't say goodbye, because I'm mad."

Despite the seeming threat of multiple eliminations, everyone else was allowed to move into the "Project Runway" house. And Tim said goodbye to McKell with his usual kindness and seemingly genuine affection, standing by his warm statements about her dress -- still the most dignified man in all of reality-TV land.
    I agree totally with the bottom 6 that the judges chose but I totally disagree that McKell had the worst dress. I was surprised she was even in the bottom 6. Tim Gunn even disagreed with the judges. I agree with the FORT sentiment that the bottom 3 should have been Casanova, Ivy, and Jason. Maybe McKell lacked personality, that's why they eliminated her. And I think there was favoritism too. She was probably just a last minute addition in the first place to make this season a bit interesting and this was their chance to take her out.

McKell completed her work and was creative with the challenge by creatively incorporating the garment to her design (she turned a tacky shirt into a nice skirt). Some didn't even use much of their fabric at all. It is definitely more finished than some of the others and it's not really ugly compared to that reversed kimono that Jason made. Jason had the most fabric to work with which means he could have done a lot of things with it. I do not see any creativity in it and my god---he used staplers! He can't sew! He should have been eliminated. Perhaps they wanted to keep him because he's the lone straight guy? Casanova had a reason to be eliminated too but at least he was thinking out of the box. He was at least being daring it just happened that he missed the mark. As for Ivy, she has design going on for her top and he did some wrinkling for the long pants that she turned into capri pants. It's not very creative but it's still more creative than the kimono that was reversed to make it look like you did some design with it. It's still a kimono worn backwards!

Jason's design looked like something that a mentally ill hobo would wear in the streets just like a potato sack. He wasn't even bottom 3! I like what a poster said from the PR site, "...reminds me of the Exorcist because the model's head appears to be rotated backwards as she walks away from the camera."

It's a travesty. I feel bad for McKell. She was robbed. She may have missed a bit with the style of her top but Jason's dress had no style to speak of plus he missed the challenge entirely while Casanova's dress was vulgar and tacky and Ivy's work lacks creativity. Hopefully the succeeding episodes will not be reflective of this where the personality precedes design in deciding who to keep. It reminds me of last season where a contestant was eliminated when clearly someone else should have been booted off because of a worse design (i.e. Emilio's washer bikini), and that happened a few times too.

If you guys go to the PR site you can rate the designs that they made. And surely enough, Jason's design had the worst rating. So we are on the mark on this one while the judges missed big time. Just goes to show that in the first challenge one need not have to go over the top but play safe especially since there is no reward for the winner. The goal is to do just good enough to stay for the next round.
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 08-03-2010 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gracie;4014511;
    I actually liked the extra half hour. We got to see more of the judges comments and could see where they were coming from with the bottom feeders. I got a big laugh out of Nina's facial expressions during the runway show and her mumbling to herself.

Not so sure about the follow-up show. I never did like Santino and to put him with Austin. Oh my! I think I'm going to miss Models of the Runway!
    Is every episode going to be 90 minutes, or just this premiere?? I liked the extra time too, and agree with you about seeing more of the judging. I love this show, so more time = more fun.

But, the judging! Oh, the judging! It was so ridiculous - McKell's dress was definitely not the worst thing on that runway. Such a shame. Staples? That thing was awful.

Oh, and I forgot to say I thought the winning dress was ugly. Really bad. The long evening gown that was on the bottom looked better than that nasty shoulder-padded, hanky-hemmed thing. ew.

So, there's no model show anymore? I liked seeing the behind-the-scenes things that happened, and how the models got along w/the designers. I'll miss that show, too, gracie. I realize it was probably not nearly as highly rated as PR, but really, what else are they showing? PR is about the only thing I tune into on that channel.
    Last edited by navybelle; 08-03-2010 at 10:35 PM.

FORT Fogey

I am disappointed there is no model show too. The Santino and Austin offering is terrible and I don't see it improving! Austin and Jay were adorable together on the first season but you just cannot try and recreate that chemisty with another person. It has all the bad aspects, for me, of this genre. That being, the hero or sob story deserves a dress because_________ fill in the blank. I see the future littered with a mentally challenged girl going to her first prom, a mother who has ever owned a nice dress because she works 4 jobs to support her 5 children and needs to look good for her sons graduation, a wedding dress for a girl whose house burned down, dress and all, 2 days before the ceremony. I'll stop now but I had so many more senarios!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234