+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 4/22 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 4/22 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by chrisg;3884200;
    Some of the best designers in the world do design clothes that everyone wears, though, like Ralph Lauren and Calvin Klein. Not every great designer designs couture.
    Yes, but those are already established designers with existing clientelles. I think that main reason fashion insiders go to those shows is to see who the exclusive girls (models) are. And if Emilio want to design those type of clothes, he needs to design under an existing label first then later branch out to his own collection. But he needed to wow the judges and that collection failed (maybe he wowed them with the craftsmanship) and that collection was already done. Anyway, he should have listened to Tim Gunn because none of his clothes were memorable. They were good, but the other collections stood out more. That's what distinguishes a good dressmaker from a good designer. Had Emilio won, what's stopping just any good dressmaker from joining and just copying an existing collection and altering certain details to make it fairly unnoticeable as a copy?

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

The wonderful thing about this finale was that the three designers each had a specific point of view that they were able to translate into a look for the show.

What impressed the judges about Seth Aaron also impressed me. He took his initial rock and roll zipper collection and envisioned how he could make it look sophisticated yet retain the rock and roll. It still had a hard edge but his use of color and fabric pairings brought a bit of soft and thus the sophistication.

I loved the way Mila worked with the juxtaposition of patterns - her collection really did show the play of shadow shapes when she did that - particularly the one dress. Her tailoring was superb, especially her coats.

Emilio makes a great jacket and he tried to set himself apart with the use of color in his blouses, and by having the only gown to make the walk. The problem with the gown is that he didn't lead up to it with at least one other sophisticated dress - it felt as though it was an afterthought. I like that Nina made the distinction between collection and line - he definitely has a wearable line of clothes, but, to me, the gown was the only piece that could have started his collection.

It will be fascinating to see where these three go with their careers.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Well, no designer is an established designer when they start out. And fashion is subjective to everyone, including the judges, and nothing could be more obvious - to me - that when designing his collection, Emilo was responding to what Michael Kors has said about about having a penchant for sportswear runway collections.

It didn't work out for him, though, and I completely get why. Out of those 3 collections I felt Seth Aaron's was not just one the one I saw as the strongest but the one that I felt the judges would choose as well. I also said the judges like to be surprised but not in the sense that a designer departs too much from the work done during the season which Emilio did.

It may very well be that Michael Kors is potentially setting PR designers up for failure since no sportswear collection will ever stand out the way a couture collection does. And, if so, he should probably stop stating that on PR in the future particularly because Emilio has shown that he has the talent to make beautiful sophisticated dresses and he may have had a much better chance to win had he done so.

ETA: And that's it for me this season guys. See everyone next time.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

1. My opinion of Emilio soften a bit during the reunion when he asked WHY his collection didn't win if they loved it so much. He seemed insecure and ready to cry.

Personal taste varies. I would not even try on any of Emilio's line he showed except maybe the gown, which I agree was very dramatic but didn't fit in with his other offerings in either style or color. They looked wonderfully made, just not my taste and not what I expected to see on a Fashion Week Runway. There was one dress of Milia's I think I could wear. Seth Aaron had two or three looks I could rock if he made them for short chicks.

Since it's my first season watching PR, could someone explain what "sportswear" is? I keep hearing that Micheal Kors wanted sportswear and Emilio made sportswear, but I didn't see anything in there that I would wear to the gym.

Forgive me for being a fashion idiot..someone please school me correctly so I understand what I am hearing when I watch!

Thank you also for the warm welcome upthread...

Quote Originally Posted by Maybaybie;3884577;
    Since it's my first season watching PR, could someone explain what "sportswear" is? I keep hearing that Micheal Kors wanted sportswear and Emilio made sportswear, but I didn't see anything in there that I would wear to the gym.

Forgive me for being a fashion idiot..someone please school me correctly so I understand what I am hearing when I watch!

Thank you also for the warm welcome upthread...
    Sportswear is attire worn for sport or for casual wear. It is clothes designed for comfort, casually styled but acceptable for many business or social occasions.

Ratings for the finale seemed good: Project Runway up about 800,000 viewers and 0.4 adults 18-49 ratings points from last week and came in at 3.804 million viewers.

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/04/23...playoffs/49565

FORT Fogey

Am I the only one who found Emilio's gold lamé gown gaudy and hideous? Come on, just the fact that it is gold lamé...

Quote Originally Posted by watts;3884758;
    Am I the only one who found Emilio's gold lamé gown gaudy and hideous? Come on, just the fact that it is gold lamé...
    Not at all. I thought it stunningly gorgeous. Honestly, I think that dress --- probably the only single look of the three collections that wowed the judges --- but coupled with Emilio's having such a strong showing throughout the season earned him second place. Without one or the other, I would have expected Mila to finished second.

With that said, I love Emilio's coats, and would buy one if I found it heavily discounted ... in other words, don't really need, but nice to to have to wear with jeans. IMO, everything else in the collection forgettable and even "filler".

Watching Seth Aaron's runway show was certainly more inspiring than the stills and after watching the show, the clear Fashion Week episode winner.

Quote Originally Posted by RealityLovesMe;3884231;
    Honestly, I thought Seth Aaron's collection was trash!
    I'm sorry to say it but it is just so basic! There are so many beautiful patterns in the world and he chose the basic. We've seen someone make a plaid coat before. I just didn't see it as a visionary's collection. Some of the looks he presented did look like McQueen knock-offs!
    It is hard to resist knocking off Alexander McQueen. He was incredible.
    I wish the judges would be receptive to sports wear. I really like it. I am tired of coats and dresses winning just because they are coats and dresses.
    All in all, I wasn't in love with any of the collections this season. I don't know why they suddenly started giving Emilio the evil edit. When they showed him making a face when the other contestants were getting positive critiques, that's just editing 101. But I don't know why they had to make him the villain. Mila was already pretty villainous. I don't know why they felt the need to switch things around.
    Emilio was pretty much and arrogant a$$ during the entire show. He didn't think very highly of anyone but himself.

Mila never bothered me. She just was very honest in her point of view. In fact I personally think she was nicer than Emilio about it. For some reason women tend to get vilified much more than men do.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread