+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: 4/22 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 4/22 Finale Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe;3885674;
    I still think Jay should have been in the Final 3 instead of Mila or even Emilio who were supposed to be eliminated in the weeks prior based on my reviews above.

Jay Nicholas Sario from Project Runway really did show his collection at Bryant Park after all

He actually could have won. His collection was the best among the top 10 who presented at Bryant Park.
    That's probably the reason why he was snippy during the reunion. He heard the audience's reaction to his collection and thought he could have been a strong contender with Seth Aaron. All thanks to Heidi (should-never-be-a-judge-of-fashion) Klum's questionable taste.

Kao

Unfortunately I'm on the fence now about Jay (even though I loved his designs and covet that first coat he created). His "the only reason Mila got to BP was because she has a vagina" remark and what he said to that model on the reunion show left a nasty taste in my mouth, and I know I'm not alone in this. I'm not a Mila cheerleader, but I liked a lot of the clothes she made for the show (especially the hardware collection); she presented 3 outfits that looked like a collection to the judges and earned her right to show at BP. He and Anthony received flattering editing during the show for the most part and both of them need to learn how to shut up ASAP instead of alienating the very group that you want to buy your clothes.

FORT Fogey

Just a couple of thoughts about the whole thing:

I saw a video of Tim where he said he questioned Heidi about the decision to have 3 people of the same demographic in the final three (i.e. all 3 = young women). He may as well have come right out and said the show is not based on talent alone. This makes me angry because contestants' futures are riding on it.

It's not like Survivor or The Amazing Race. I don't even think it's like Idol where people who haven't done much to start a singing career can make it to the end. PR contestant have been honing their craft for years...it's not a whim for them, and for the show to treat them as if it were is extremely disappointing.

In addition, it was very clear in the video that all decisions are made final by Heidi. Nina and Michael seem more distant from Heidi than they have in the past; they seem to look at each other more than they do Heidi. It almost seems as if people dance around her in a big way. I think it's pretty clear who is in charge of the entire thing.

Emilio - I think his ego was driven by a desire to strike while the iron is hot. PR is his one big shot and he's going to work hard and give it all he's got. I think his zealosness got the better of him. He had blinders on with the others and completely missed the social component of the show. I really hope he tones it down and that he can make a career out to this post-PR. I like Emilio. I liked his designs and his passion for the competition.

Jay - his comment to the model during the reunion show and his assessment as to why Mila advanced and he didn't are FAR more offensive than anything Emilio is alleged to have said or done. In fact, I would argue that for Jay to even think, much less say, these things speaks to a much bigger ego than Emilo's. I read where he was difficult behind the scenes. Who knows, but if all this is true, perhaps this is why Heidi kept him at F4 rather than F3.

Mila - I think Mila is actually a very pretty woman. And, while her taste isn't always mine, I actually love most of her work and think it is "line-worthy". She is getting a undeserved bad rap, I think (thanks to Jay).

Seth Aaron - again, not my taste, but he was the right winner, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3885685;
    Unfortunately I'm on the fence now about Jay (even though I loved his designs and covet that first coat he created). His "the only reason Mila got to BP was because she has a vagina" remark and what he said to that model on the reunion show left a nasty taste in my mouth, and I know I'm not alone in this. I'm not a Mila cheerleader, but I liked a lot of the clothes she made for the show (especially the hardware collection); she presented 3 outfits that looked like a collection to the judges and earned her right to show at BP. He and Anthony received flattering editing during the show for the most part and both of them need to learn how to shut up ASAP instead of alienating the very group that you want to buy your clothes.
    I missed that, when did he say it?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Kao

Bearcata: Go to Tom and Lorenzo's blog (Project Rungay) and look at the comments under the post "Ripping the Collection: Jay Part I." Someone posted an recent interview he did with a newspaper and that quote was in it. Considering how many fashionistas and industry people read that blog it was a verybad PR move on his part, and his actions at the reunion only made things worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3885495;
    Surprisingly, I liked a lot of Emilio's clothes once I saw them in motion. That red dress was flattering to all bust sizes, and the first outfit was lovely. I especially liked the cut of the chartreuse coat and the way it flowed. What slipped him up was the fact that it didn't have enough couture coming though; it was a RTW line, ready to be shipped to the stores. Lovely RTW, but what you can find at any high-end department store. I also think that he got too wrapped up in trying to think of what the judges would like best and what would give him the win rather than doing what he does; make beautiful clothes. Because despite his off moments (that horrible swimsuit) when he was "on" he created some lovely things on this show.
    I think that was Emilio's downfall right there upon rethinking - He did what he thought what the judges wanted instead of his stuff (save the exception of the E.SOSA print, which as Camo on rethinking is an interesting take, not sure specifically for the way it was used).

There were outfits I liked of his, but I do think SA still was the strongest winner of the three shown.

I think some of Emilio's arrogance comes from a place of insecurity. He didn't have a pleasant personality on the show but I hated seeing him so crushed and defeated looking at the end. Because if Seth Aaron had lost he probably would have been disappointed but he wouldn't have been devastated; he has a way of making the best of every situation and has a loving wife and supportive children. The same with Mila; while she was disappointed her she knows that WHO she is isn't the same as WHAT she does. I don't think Emilio has learned this yet.
    It may be a little bit of insecurity; however, I did see a bit of Narcissus in him - except he didn't turn into a flower

In a way, it was good he ended up getting the dose of reality - as painful as it is to watch, because it'll make him work harder and prove that he can do it without letting his ego get in the way. He did come off as one of the more egotistical contestants I've seen in the couple of seasons I've seen of the show, edited or not.

From experience - I can say that that hard dose of reality can save you and make you do better - my case photography (even though the other person's comments are ego on his part, though he claims I have the ego lol).

As for the reunion, with the notable exceptions of Mila (who was very gracious) and Emilio somewhat (because he humbly accepted Nina's explanation of why he didn't win, and sternly told Jay to apologize to that model) and Seth (who was happy without gloating and was smart enough to simply sit there with his mouth shut) what Lifetime chose to show was shameful. We didn't even get to hear from a good portion of the contestants. Instead of being treated to lighthearted clips of some of the fun moments that didn't get aired on the show and the cast reminiscing about some of their fave moments, we got a balls-to-the-wall old-fashioned shade-throwing cut session that was nasty to watch and will probably hit quite a few of them where it hurts.
    Very to the point assessment here. Even some of the most tense reunions I've seen of "Survivor" have never been this way. I think even Russell's assessment of losing the game to Natalie was funnier than this (and no, I'm not a fan of his).

I have a feeling, based on the "24 looks" banter between SA and Tim, I think we'd had quite a few funny never-before-seen moments from some of the cast.

Jay and Anthony need to learn how to filter what goes from brain to mouth, Ping needs to grow a set and toughen up, and that model needs to learn that trashing a designer (especially one you've never worked with) is a good way to end up on the unemployment line. Maya disgusted me because she started the whole ball rolling when she sent some zingers Jay's way about his trashbag outfit, then sat back and smirked when the model chimed in and the hot mess that happened afterwards. I had her pegged as one of those silent but vindictive types, changed my mind over the course of the show because I liked her clothes so much and was very sad to see that maybe I was right in my initial assessment.
    Jay and Anthony - hopefully, will learn quickly this is not the way to behave, and at least (from what I caught, and if I'm in error, I apologize) Anthony did apologize to Mila unprompted while Jay did not. Both of them make lovely clothes (Anthony's case has at least two potential clients), that they can't let this happen to them again.

Maya - to put it simply - quit, and therefore had no right to be that vindictive. I think her comments about Jay and the trashbag outfit CLEARLY show that she was probably bitter about not winning the challenge, got fed up and then quit. The whole comments about being "restricted" and "not having the rights" or something as to why she left also confirmed it.

This reunion show should be required viewing for future contestants as an example on how NOT to act if you want a client base after the show is over. So much hate.
    Very much so - I will give Emilio and Seth Aaron credit for being classy in it, and thankfully a lot of them DIDN'T get to say anything because some such as Ben are great designers and this could've harmed them if they said anything.

Shoot looking back on it, even the very first "Survivor" reunion, though done in a similar style, was more entertaining and less bitter grapes. Even Sue and Kelly's stiff forgiving each other bit was more sincere in some cases.

I've talked about SA and Emilio, so I snipped this for these two. And again, I agree with the assessment of the duo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3885723;
    Jay - his comment to the model during the reunion show and his assessment as to why Mila advanced and he didn't are FAR more offensive than anything Emilio is alleged to have said or done. In fact, I would argue that for Jay to even think, much less say, these things speaks to a much bigger ego than Emilo's. I read where he was difficult behind the scenes. Who knows, but if all this is true, perhaps this is why Heidi kept him at F4 rather than F3.
    While I do have a feeling that Jay may have a point here (I predicted they wouldn't let them have a three male finale because I did think Jay's final challenge work was stronger), I don't think it's the only reason. He had stronger looks that he should've shown if he wanted to advance. Mila's were three of her strongest, but not necessarily the strongest.

I think had Jay had chosen wiser, there could've been a three male finale, as there was a three female finale last season (BTW, IMHO would've been anyway because while I loved Christopher Schraub's work, he didn't have a gown that would've deserved a spot in the final three.)

I haven't seen or read behind the scene stuff so I can't assess on that, but just from reading the comments here and remembering the reunion, I would have to say that his assessment has some merit, but I DO NOT think that Mila was chosen SOLELY on the basis of being a woman.

Mila - I think Mila is actually a very pretty woman. And, while her taste isn't always mine, I actually love most of her work and think it is "line-worthy". She is getting a undeserved bad rap, I think (thanks to Jay).
    She really needs to keep that haircut right now - she's 41, and when she had the shorter cut she looked that age or older while with the longer hair and bangs she looked younger (maybe not much, but younger).

There are some wonderful pieces she made through the season, though I do think some of her colorblocking got too repetitive (Unlike SA who did do jackets with a different twist and take). Out of her outfits, I loved her Cambell's soup dress (because sewing stars into fabric like that is not easy - though it could've used a little bit of fullness in the skirt), the hardware challenge (no metal used), and her first outfit, because she used different patterned fabric and made a nice outfit. Patterns are not always easy to compliment each other and she managed to pull it of.

I do think in a head-to-head, Seth Aaron still won out overall, but I do agree with some people that she had to have been the second place winner because she did have a more cohesive collection, and both she and SA had more consistent lines than Emilio IMHO (Though he too had nice designs.

As long as the top three here keep their mouths shut about any snipping on the other contestants or each other, I think all three could be successful long term. Even in the end, Emilio and SA were congratulatory toward each other, and I think Emilio's getting a nice dinner on SA's check.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3885723;
    She is getting a undeserved bad rap, I think (thanks to Jay).
    Why blame Jay for the bad attitude she exhibited (saying the other contestants were jealous they didn't respond to her placing 2nd in one challenge, questioning why Alexis left her for Anthony, among others) during the show? Undeserved bad rap, I beg to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Kao[/B];3886099;]Bearcata: Go to Tom and Lorenzo's blog (Project Rungay) and look at the comments under the post "Ripping the Collection: Jay Part I." Someone posted an recent interview he did with a newspaper and that quote was in it. Considering how many fashionistas and industry people read that blog it was a verybad PR move on his part, and his actions at the reunion only made things worse.
    Thanks, Kao I found it.

Interview with Project Runway season 7 designer Jay Nicolas Sario

Interview with Project Runway season 7 designer Jay Nicolas Sario
    April 19, 11:47 AMBaltimore Sewing ExaminerWendy Kaufman
    Previous Next
    17 comments Subscribe
    Subscribe

Get alerts when there is a new article from the Baltimore Sewing Examiner. Read Examiner.com's terms of use.
    Email Address

Include other special offers from Examiner.com
    Terms of Use
    ShareThis
    Jay Nicolas Sario works on his design on an episode of Project
    Jay Nicolas Sario works on his design on an episode of Project Runway.
    Photo Credit: Barbara Nitke/Lifetime Television

My interview with Project Runway's Jay Nicolas Sario was like a roller coaster ride. I simply could not fathom the man. Only part of that lack of understanding came from the fact that much of the time the conversation went was as if we were communicating through some sort of wind storm that I could not hear. Jay kept answering questions—but not the ones I had asked. Then there was one other little issue. It's indisputable that the man's got tons of talent, but he lacks quality control on what comes out of his mouth. It's absolutely not becoming on him.

The interview started off well. I was eager to hear what Jay had to say. I had read that he had not sewed until he auditioned for season 6. I wanted to know if that was correct, so I asked him about it. "I have worked for the Gap for the past 10 years, so you know—my life. And I am still working for them, and you know, growing up I knew this is what I wanted to do. I never really followed my dreams. I followed it in a small way, but I never really like, went after it and pursued it. I've always said to myself 'time will tell.' I know that I am not giving up on my dreams. I know time will tell. Time will eventually come. Project Runway is a way to get back into this passion of mine. I'm excited. I am working on my spring collection now, and it's for 2011, and it's going to be sold in a lot of stores here in San Francisco." Close. but not what I asked. Still, this was informative stuff, so I didn't press my original question.

I followed his lead and we talked about his new line. He says he's stuck on his spring collection and finds himself repeating his fall collection."I've been sketching a lot. It will get there. I'm not nervous. And I'm not gonna be without an amazing spring collection. I just have to keep sketching. I have an inspiration, I have a color pallette. I just need to keep sketching. Because that's what I did for my fall collection. A lot of the things that I sketched on day one, I executed them but they did not make it to the ten looks. They just kinda, you know, got thrown in the rubbish." I wish we had been able to see them. What did he edit, and what was his criteria?

I was also curious about the tears we saw in the last episode over the possibility of not showing at Bryant Park if Mila took the slot. We all know he did show—and to rave reviews. I wanted to know when the decoy designers knew that they would be showing along with the top three and so find out what the fuss was about. Wasn't showing at Bryant Park a pretty big deal in and of itself? I'm not sure if his reply was deliberately cryptic or just heard through that wind storm. "Oh! It all happened on the same day. All 10 designers showed at fashion week. We started at like 7am until noon I think or 10:00. I showed first. I was the first to go out of the tent. They basically hashed the top three in between. That way the crowd would not know who the top three are, or top four. It was exciting to be me as the front runner, not knowing, well, I already knew I was booted off, so..." When pressed further, he said that he knew as soon that as he was told that he'd be competing against Mila for the third slot that he'd be showing, no matter what. I am confused. He got the prize: Showing at Bryant Park, but he's worried about being in the top three, who also show at Bryant Park. Same prize for all but one, no? I sat back a bit to hear what the others had to ask. Maybe things would become clearer to me.

So, interviewers were asking questions, with many getting windstorm answers—informative, but not actual answers to the questions they asked. Then the conversation inevitably found its way to his relationship with Mila. "I really thought I was going to beat her, and make it to the top three, and beat Seth Arron and Emilio. Because, you know, I thought I was going up against Seth. He has a strong point of view and he can sew and make amazing clothes. I probably could have beat those two guys." He went on to elaborate on how he felt after his elimination "I felt like I had the worst kind of situation of all the people that had already been eliminated, because I'm so close to fashion week. They got eliminated during the summertime, and they had 4 months to get over it." and "I felt robbed. Robbed and shocked over the judge's decision."

Then I had to look under the desk for my jaw, because it fell off and rolled away when I heard the next words out of Jay's mouth. "I loved my collection. The only thing I wish at this point is that I wish I had a vagina to be honest with you, because it's the only reason why Mila made it to the top three—is that I have a penis and she has a vagina, and they needed a vagina in the top three." Now, I know that there were some issues with Mila, Jay and Emilio that ended up mostly in the cutting room floor, but this smacks of bald-faced misogyny. I really hate running into misogyny. A lot. And this, after they made up?

The fact remains that to say that a woman that has been busily employed for the last 14 years costuming in major motion pictures (with not an insignificant number of designer credits), and also has 5 more years to her name before that as a fashion designer, only won because she had a vagina is delusional. There is so much talent out there that NO ONE needs to employ the talentless at any level. And this coming from a man whose resume is filled with a nice long stint as a visual merchandiser and lead stylist for Gap Kids. I remember the merchandising majors back in my college days. All can say is: Oy! Jay! You have so much talent, why degrade yourself by such outrageous bad-mouthing? It's the same judges out there at Byrant Park, plus one. Do you think that the decision would have been any different then? If that's so, then Jay, you chose the wrong looks from your collection to show, and that's not vagina or penis dependent.

How can a designer who is experiencing such success with the Project Runway publicity, have time for such bitterness and misogyny. Did Mila win? Mother's instinct paired with how this interview went, says no. Jay was too wrapped up in how he could have beat Seth had he been in the running, therefore, Seth's the winner. I asked him about his issues with not being in the top three—omitting the part about the bitterness and misogyny. I asked, "Does it really matter, in the long run, if you were in the top three, as long as you were showing at Bryant Park?" His reply was as expected. "It doesn't matter. I mean the exposure definitely helps. It doesn't matter at this point. Like Anthony says, 'you don't have to have the crown to be the queen.' That's, you know, what I need to do. I need to just keep going, keep the momentum going. It doesn't matter. At the end of the day...Like as soon as Bryant Park as over, I was featured in the Wall Street Journal and New York Post, and I was featured in Women's Wear Daily. I mean who does that?"

Exactly my point. The man did indeed receive rave reviews over his line. The Wall Street Journal said "Consensus seemed to settle on Jay Nicolas Sario as the best of the morning. He played with knits and big shoulders, adding a structural type of draping to his purple, red and gray ensembles." So, the man has talent. He now has a publicity springboard. He does not seem to be afraid of hardship and hard work. He's done it before in college, when he had to pick art supplies out of the classroom trash, while still producing great stuff. He finally was no longer able to manage the cost of living, and had to give up his scholarship to Otis College of Art & Design in Los Angeles. Hard work and unexpected turns of events are things he's familiar with.

In short, I'm not sure what Jay is whining about. He's got the trifecta: Talent, publicity, and rave reviews. If you look at previous seasons of Project Runway, you see that it's not uncommon for designers that did not win to do very well for themselves. I don't also get his point of view on the other collections and the range of talent present there. "I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I worked on my collection knowing that I have a chance to show at fashion week, vs., If I was a decoy. If I was, let's say for instance, Amy, I am not so sure that I would have put the same passion. Definitely, I worked on my collection knowing I was still in the competition, vs. I'm working on my collection because I was working on a collection as a decoy."

Proof that he just does not get it. I can't imagine anyone throwing away a chance at Bryant Park publicity on a collection that was less than their best, simply because (s)he had no chance for the Lifetime Television portion of the award. With 10 designers, there is going to be a range of talent represented. Simple as that.

Maybe he simply has not yet begun to master the nuances of social interactions. Maybe this is why I thought he was only in his twenties. He behaves that way (and the references I found of him having favorite places to get drunk didn't help either). I am not the only one that had his age wrong. Two of us at the phone interview had to inform another interviewer that Jay was indeed, not a kid. It all leads to the question: What did Mila get that Jay didn't? Why not be angry at Emilio for taking a slot he could have had? Why is Mila so fascinating to him to warrant to so much of his energy? People of no merit, should merit none of one's psychological energy. Therefore, he's well aware of her talent. Oh Boyet, c'mon. Time to Man-et. If you feed that bitterness, it will only consume you. Take that talent, move ahead, and show us what you got. You know we all really want to see it—and buy it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Looking at the designs the entire season, the right final three were selected. Had Maya not let nearly coming close get to her too many times, she'd probably been competing against Mila for that final spot. I kinda felt that her attitude in the reunion too was regret that she chose to leave (given our response to her) and of course sour grapes for not winning one challenge but Jay at least one.

Her key necklace was pretty as was the jacket, but the dress was rather plain whereas Jay's outfit was well designed, interesting head to toe, and used - like Mila - something that was not metal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011