+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 4/01 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Re: 4/01 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

I think Maya was more concerned about being thought of as a "derivative" designer at this point in her young life. She just finished fashion school and hasn't found herself as yet. When she talked about her decision it seemed to be more about not knowing herself than about the stress level.

I am one who does like the coppery beaded sheen of Emilio's design. I also think that without the "coin dispenser" acting as a fake strap, the silhouette would have been boring.

YAY! for Anthony and his personality returning to the room. Everyone seemed happy to see him. To me, his silhouette was very similar to what is seen on red carpets, but it works for the photography and must feel comfortable to wear with all the flowing drapery.

As usual, for me, I do like Seth Aaron's creation as a dress. For the red carpet - no. Besides the black he placed what looked like skinny belted runners up the front over each breast and that made the look more casual.

Why couldn't Mila get the bodice to work? And she called that creamish tan a color. LOL The same fabric "blocking" around the hip area was weird as well.

Jay says he can't help but design "big butts". Well, Jay, you are going to have a very limited clientele until the bustle is back in style. The ruffles were also very strange. They didn't flow in one direction and each row seemed to fight the next. A bustier? Again? Isn't that a bit over-done?

Jonathan...Jonathan...from mess #1 to super mess #3. Leaving off the runner of orange-like color might have helped...NOT. Bye-Bye.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Emilio's dress was GORGEOUSLY made. Loved the fabric. Very proud for Emilio and Anthony.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3868747;
    I am one who does like the coppery beaded sheen of Emilio's design. I also think that without the "coin dispenser" acting as a fake strap, the silhouette would have been boring.
    Sheen is good, and I don't mind the shoulder accessory - but it just looks a little too odd and stiff in shape. I think a slightly different shape would've looked better. That doesn't mean it was a horrible dress - as they said, anyone who can take sequiny material and make a nice dress earns kudos in my book.

YAY! for Anthony and his personality returning to the room. Everyone seemed happy to see him. To me, his silhouette was very similar to what is seen on red carpets, but it works for the photography and must feel comfortable to wear with all the flowing drapery.
    You're right it is - and he still made it with his own touch. I was worried about a Ping effect, but that didn't happen (though now that I think of it - it does have that flowy vibe that Ping had in her outfits, though his are better tailored).

As usual, for me, I do like Seth Aaron's creation as a dress. For the red carpet - no. Besides the black he placed what looked like skinny belted runners up the front over each breast and that made the look more casual.
    This is where I wonder if had he done it in two colors if it'd made a difference or if it'd made it worse. First I thought it'd work, but thinking about it if he used red for the dress with black straps it could've turned into a saloon girl costume.

Jay says he can't help but design "big butts". Well, Jay, you are going to have a very limited clientele until the bustle is back in style. The ruffles were also very strange. They didn't flow in one direction and each row seemed to fight the next. A bustier? Again? Isn't that a bit over-done?
    He'd do well designing outfits for a remix of Sir-Mix-A-Lot's "Baby got Back" rap.

And, yes, the bustier is overdone... a lot. Redundant yes, but it seems like everyone wants to see if they can design a dress that someone will pop out of. This also was a downer now I think of it for Heidi - if not designed right, with her larger chest (she will lactate after giving birth - gross, but fact), she will pop out possibly.

Speaking of which - where did he get the idea there is a gap in a bra and where exactly was that gap?

Jonathan...Jonathan...from mess #1 to super mess #3. Leaving off the runner of orange-like color might have helped...NOT. Bye-Bye.
    I don't know what Jonathan was thinking about, and frankly wish that Anthony hadn't had to leave and come back - that Jonathan was already eliminated. Of course... there is a drawback here: had Anthony not been eliminated, he might not have gotten out of his "cocktail dress" rut and wouldn't have shown he has what it takes to possibly be in the final three. His dress was much improved over previous weeks IMHO.

There is an excellent interview with Maya on Tom and Lorenzo's Project Rungay blog. She is very well-spoken. Reading some of her comments, I get the impression she wasn't thrilled with the "reality" show format. She also commented that anything she designed while on the show would be owned by Lifetime. Give it a read if you get a chance.

FORT Fogey

I'm another one that loved Emilio's dress. It's very hard to pull off something that simple and make it look expensive.

Jonathon's dress was the worst I've think I've ever seen on PR - at this late point in the season at least. I agree that he should have sent his original design down the runway. But I also understand why he felt he couldn't. When Heidi came back and made her criticism, she wasn't there as a judge giving an opinion. She was a client. You have to listen and respond to a client. Unfortunately that sent him down a no-win path.

FORT Fogey

For the final challenge, Tim takes the designers to the circus. Later on he asks Emilio where's the color in his design and Emilio goes "I've already done color!" A tinge of Kenley, huh? My guess is Emilio doesn't make final 3 (fingers crossed) SPOILER!!!
    Click to see Spoiler:
    that's why he seemed angry during his presentation during NYFW
    Last edited by watts; 04-03-2010 at 05:35 AM.

"There isn't a woman on earth who would say, 'make my butt look bigger.' She doesn't exist."

- I guess Michael Kors has never been to Brazil? (Or a lot of other places on earth.) ;p

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by watts;3868878;
    For the final challenge, Tim takes the designers to the circus. Later on he asks Emilio where's the color in his design and Emilio goes "I've already done color!" A tinge of Kenley, huh? My guess is Emilio doesn't make final 3 (fingers crossed) SPOILER!!!
    Click to see Spoiler:
    that's why he seemed angry during his presentation during NYFW
    Click to see Spoiler:
    So maybe Mila gets Emilio spot in the final 3. IDK, the judges just seem to adore Emilio so much--he's pretty much as good as gold

Quote Originally Posted by Brandy;3868913;
    "There isn't a woman on earth who would say, 'make my butt look bigger.' She doesn't exist."

- I guess Michael Kors has never been to Brazil? (Or a lot of other places on earth.) ;p

Or to Kim Kardashian's house!

Quote Originally Posted by raisinthesun;3868919;
    Click to see Spoiler:
    So maybe Mila gets Emilio spot in the final 3. IDK, the judges just seem to adore Emilio so much--he's pretty much as good as gold
    Click to see Spoiler:
    They adore both based on how close Mila's been to being eliminated and Emilio SHOULD'VE been eliminated with the washer bikini.

All I know is that I'd love to see it be Seth Aaron and Anthony in the final three and the third at toss up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast