+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Models of the Runway - Season 2

Re: Models of the Runway - Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by watts;3884953;
    He didn't actually say anything other than what we already know - Cerri has bad teeth and thick legs. And he said that "he was not going to cast girls with bad teeth and thick legs" so he did not directly refer to her. So I guess it was the tone of his voice together with the snarky remark that made it seem more vicious than Cerri's diatribe.
    Tim Gunn remarked in an interview that editors left out Jay's heartfelt apology to him while in San Francisco, then noted not including that probably had to do with leaving scenes exposing Jay's obnoxious behavior during the regular competition on the cutting room floor.

Seems reasonable to say, PR editors did Jay a huge favor by editing out what most likely would have made him the most hated designer in PR history.

Quote Originally Posted by holly71;3886612;
    Emilio came across as a sore loser, but Jay made me forget that pretty darn quick! Before this, I thought he should have gone to FW instead of Mila, but that nasty comment was just too much, IMO.
    Emilio and Jay both have rotten personalties, as does Jessie. So sour and bitter and nasty. I am so glad they did not win. Too bad Emilio's ego was not taken down a peg in that he still made the final 3.

I liked Seth Aaron and Mila. The one quibble I have with SA winning is that he was basing his designs on "German and Russian military from the 40s." Hello, that is Nazis and Stalinism, and no one even mentioned that! Somehow the worst evils in recorded history have now lost their meaning to the point they can unthinkingly be part of pop culture? Chilling.

Quote Originally Posted by ryansmommy;3887361;
    Tim Gunn remarked in an interview that editors left out Jay's heartfelt apology to him while in San Francisco, then noted not including that probably had to do with leaving scenes exposing Jay's obnoxious behavior during the regular competition on the cutting room floor.

Seems reasonable to say, PR editors did Jay a huge favor by editing out what most likely would have made him the most hated designer in PR history.
    Yes, why did they protect that guy? His designs were yucky too (very "student work" and just not wearable), so it was not like protecting a genius. And when Tim visited him he seemed to really like him, for no good reason. Poor taste, Tim! And if Jay really apologized for things he said during the season, it was obviously not "heartfelt" enough to stop his nasty nature from returning during the reunion show. So an apology during Tim's SF visit would have just been a "cover your ass" thing in hopes of being chosen for the finale, not a genuine "I want to be a better person" thing.

Btw, the most entertaining person this season was Anthony. I wonder if he will get some gigs like so many other reality show contestants who didn't win but managed to stay on TV, as his comments are so hilarious. Maybe as a commentator, if not a host.
    Last edited by Harvest; 04-27-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3887492;
    Emilio and Jay both have rotten personalties, as does Jessie. So sour and bitter and nasty. I am so glad they did not win.
    I forgot about that. Jessie was still sour, wasn't he? Ping was crying, and he sort of lunged and spat his words out at her. Something about him gives me the creeps - on a different level than any of the other cast. It's like he doesn't get it.

Emilio and Jay seem more the (easily) wounded-ego types, to me.

I liked Seth Aaron and Mila. The one quibble I have with SA winning is that he was basing his designs on "German and Russian military from the 40s." Hello, that is Nazis and Stalinism, and no one even mentioned that! Somehow the worst evils in recorded history have now lost their meaning to the point they can unthinkingly be part of pop culture? Chilling.
    While I can see the fervor behind the implication regarding SA's comment (there are much worse and frankly ignorant comments regarding it on other boards and blogs), I do want to give a little different perspective as to why SA would mention this (Historically and general POV):

1. For starters, people tend to forget that WWII was from 1941-1945, and Nazism just prior to that. That leaves 5 years afterward that SA could be inspired from, because the attire did I believe change for military's sake.

Secondly, Russian attire had been that way since the days of Nicholas II. He may not have been a popular czar (not that he wanted to be czar to begin with), but the fashion in military wear that SA reflected upon had been as far back as his reign, which ended in I believe 1918 when he and his family were murdered.

2. The Nazi attire of that era was well-made, colorful, and definitely stood out. Corrie ten Boom mentioned in "A Prisoner and Yet..." when she first met an SS officer after being in solitary for a time that her eyes were drawn to the brilliant colors and detailing of the attire. She then proceeds to describe said adornment.

In SA's case, he is referring to the bold outfits they had and how people do not forget them. And, I agree - I have seen them and haven't forgotten them or Higher-level Russian military. The only period uniform I remember being specifically from a certain war for America that didn't transcend was WWI attire.

3. I believe editing is playing a part in the comment - SA has clarified in post-show interviews that he was referring to the big and bold aspect of those uniforms and not actual twisting said uniforms into said attire. Trust me, had he made essentially a collection that resembled said outfits, he'd been disqualified to begin with.

If using the phrase "going big and bold" alludes to these themes? - then we need to call quite a few people in a similar vein.

4. There were other outfits that were more memorable to the fancier dresses of all country 1940s attire, such as the red dress worn by Christina.

All in all, I can understand why people don't like the reference; however, I can see it from a fashion point as well as the historical fashion route that SA took with it. If he had indeed done it because he respected the attitudes of said groups of that time? - I'd been truly disappointed (to say the least) with him.

FORT Fogey

Emilio and Jay both have rotten personalties, as does Jessie. So sour and bitter and nasty. I am so glad they did not win. Too bad Emilio's ego was not taken down a peg in that he still made the final 3.

I liked Seth Aaron and Mila.
    Mila was the biggest b1+ch during the show! How can you call out Emilio and Jay and not her? And all the bad things Anthony did are easy to dismiss because he was funny?

That's odd. Because I thought Mila was very gracious in her loss, versus Jay and Emilio, who both acted like bitter little children.

Also, although Mila was quite snarky early on, sure, but she usually seemed business-like and professional. Whereas Jay and Emilio (and to be honest, Anthony too, even if he WAS amusing) acted like they had a private little clubhouse and obviously copped an attitude to anyone outside of it. Seth Aaron was the only one "inside" that clubhouse who seemed to be capable of basic politeness (and honesty, since he was willing to admit he thought Mila had the best collection after his own as well).

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by watts;3887575;
    Mila was the biggest b1+ch during the show! How can you call out Emilio and Jay and not her? And all the bad things Anthony did are easy to dismiss because he was funny?
    She had her moments, but certainly not the biggest "b1+ch" from the show. I think Jay took that honor, with Anthony runner up.

I have worked with creative people people in the past as I operate in a creative industry, but these men ... OMG, talk about emotionally challenged!

No doubt their families have been encouraging, but for them, encouragement clearly stepped into the realm of inappropriately indulged.

Fear not, as society has a way of correcting where a family has failed and I imagine, sometime, sooner than later, the two men will eventually learn.

+ Reply to Thread