+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 11/05 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 11/05 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Yeah, but Irina's designs were somewhat elaborate and Shirin at one challenge was able to create a dress and a coat that was lined. So the time given to create was not really an issue. I remember Irina saying that the other contestants kept complaining about not having enough time to finish meanwhile they would work for a few minutes and then goof around a lot of the times. I think it was mostly that the judges didn't favor the gutsier designs. They need to get better judges who have better tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1;3745109;
    I agree - it would be really exciting to have people with outside the box designs - another outcome of always changing judges - these guests, esp. celebrities may want to wear/like outfits that are high on their scores.

Also, I'd been wondering about why the length of so many challenges were SO short this year! I thought maybe they had a shorter lease on the housing and work space...or it started late due tot he lawsuite, and they only had so much time before Bryant Park and needed them to have time for the collection.

The timing was a huge factor in all these challenges!
    I agree with the time factor. If you sew quickly and can come up with a design even faster you could do well.

Why did they bother having this last challenge if it wasn't going to mean anything. I think they all liked Gordana's design the best yet she was sent home. That's why no winner was announced. Has that ever even happened before, where there was a challenge and no winner? Normally they have at least 4 show at Bryant Park anyhow to throw off who really is in the top. Why not let all 4 of them make a collection. If they thought Gordana wouldn't do well it wouldn't matter if she did one or not. They could pick someone else there. Instead they had a farce of a challenge with no winner. They might as well have not wasted their time and just stated who was going to make it into the finale. That's what they did anyhow.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1;3745109;
    I agree - it would be really exciting to have people with outside the box designs - another outcome of always changing judges - these guests, esp. celebrities may want to wear/like outfits that are high on their scores.

Also, I'd been wondering about why the length of so many challenges were SO short this year! I thought maybe they had a shorter lease on the housing and work space...or it started late due tot he lawsuite, and they only had so much time before Bryant Park and needed them to have time for the collection.

The timing was a huge factor in all these challenges!
    I think the change to Lifetime and all the ensuing problems shortened their taping schedule. I had forgotten about this until you mentioned the time frame here. I, too, was disappointed that they had to rush through so much. That certainly contributed to the lack luster season. The challenges also seemed uninspired and that is because apparently they had some on the drawing board that Bravo would not let them use. Next season will be better, I hope.

I didn't mind the change in venue and I thought I would. It gave us the model show. When in NYC they could not pull this off since the models they use live there and have their own places. So that was a perk this time.

Kao

Things that make you go hmmm. Here's a direct quote from a recent Gordana interview:

"The funny thing is that they never showed me making the dress. You don’t just buy fabric like that. I bought flat organza, I was working on connecting the colors and layering them over to make them look like the same colors of the painting, to use brush strokes in a way. I textured the fabric, heating it up and drying it. I used a spray bottle with water to mold it so that the strokes would look equal. They never showed any of that."
    Yeah. Why didn't we see any of that?

This quote is also telling (and sheds light on what happened to Ari and Malvin):

It’s kind of a tricky situation because you saw what happened to Ra’mon. They want something bigger, they want this and that, but as soon as you do it, you’re giving them the opportunity to kick you out. As I keep saying, it’s very sad that you’re kind of designing out of fear.
    Last edited by Kao; 11-07-2009 at 08:16 PM.

FORT Fogey

THanks for the info from Gordana. I have two things....

I love that we get an explanation about the ingenuity and creative talend that went into Gordana's dress. I LOVED it. Although, I do agree with ALthea's comment that it just wasn't splashy enough for the final (better than Irina's though).

I also think Gordana hit the nail on the head when she said designer's get to a point where they are "designing out of fear". With such negativity spewing from the judges' mouths, designing out of fear is inevitable, and I agree with Gordana that it is unfortunate. I think this is why Christopher lost his mo-jo. He started designing for the judges - and not himself. By the time he regained his confidence, it was too late to recover.

I guess, though, the fashion industry is supposed to be tough as nails and that only the strong survive. This show will weed out those who can't take it, so I guess all the negativity is, in the long run, a valuable experience.

I haven't liked all of Gordana's stuff, but she should not have been sent home on a night she did the best. I think subtle can be more eye-catching than tacky.

Looking at the pictures, I disliked Christopher's, Althea's and Irina's (Irina's especially in the back) the most.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I was talking with a friend of mine about Gordana's elimination and she had a theory. According to her (and I don't have enough facts to verify it, but she lived in New York for a while doing marketing for a lot of different clients, including some in fashion) a lot of the really good pattern makers and tailors in the fashion houses are Eastern European women. They are super-skilled and do great work, but are not thought of as designers. Her theory is that the judges all saw Gordana through that prism and that's why she would never make it to Fashion Week. I'm not saying that's gospel, but throwing it out there if anyone has any idea if that's still the case.

I still think Gordana's elimination has something to do with her age--not that it should, but Wendy Pepper getting through to the finals was because of that wacky guest host and Laura was just really, really good. I can't think of anyone else over 40 who got through to the finals.

FORT Fogey

Of the final five, I agree with the judges that Giordana was the only one whose designs didn't give the judges a sense of her aesthetics or design style. The other 4, you can tell and you can see what type of clothes they do. Giordana was all over the place and would be a risk to put through fashion week (remember Wendy Pepper's mish-mash final collection?). And Christopher just didn't know how to pick fabrics (since he has always gotten his fabrics from Walmart for $3 or so) and his taste is just bad. And he needs to work on his construction (his corsets look bad) and most of his clothes look home-made from an old pattern magazine. He needs to read V or WWD and catch up with the times (stop designing for a renaissance faire) and enroll in fashion school or intern with a designer to work on his construction and fit and proportionality. In my opinion, the best 3 of the final 5 went thru. Although, not the best 3 of the season. And although Giordana's was the best of the final challenge, it wasn't good enough for a shoo-in spot in the final 3 of the final 5. I would be more curious to see Althea's final collection than hers (afterall, although it didn't show in the clothes she made in the challenges, she's worked for Alexander McQueen).

The judges didn't know Gordana's sense of design because they weren't there for half of the time. Nina was out for a while, and Cynthia and Cindy were only guest judges. It was only Heidi, and if she was too apprehensive to put her through, then they should have just had a triple elimination on the challenge that Logan was eliminated on.

When the designers were in the workroom, Gordana quipped, "Heidi will probably say, 'I don't see the frame of the picture in your dress,'" or something along the lines of that. Even Gordana knew how hard Heidi was on her.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

Yes, but I would think that if they were deciding which final 3 to pick, they would have pictures of past designs as basis. Maybe not. But Heidi would always have a hand at the judging and could advise the others. Had she said during judging that "I didn't get to see Gordana's sense of design" to the other judges, they would not ask for proof. They would just take Heidi's word for it and take that fact into consideration for the final 3.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast