Re: Week 9 Photos - Christina Aguilera Challenge

Gordana

Irina

Logan - BOTTOM 3

Christopher - BOTTOM 3

Shrin - AUF'D

Gordana's dress looks more interesting in the still photo than on the runway. Not for Christina, however, but as a ballroom gown with its billowing bottom. It sort of reminds me of the gowns of the 1950's...at least that is how "we" would design our paper doll gowns. LOL

I don't see the variation of shiny/mat in Carol Hannah's dress in the still. That dress looked better on the runway and I'm sure much better in person and not for the camera.

But, really...what is with all the black and white? Where's the color and the personality? Only Althea and Logan brought a slight variation and then not so much.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

On 2nd look, I like Irina's more than I thought.

But when I think "Christina Aguilera," I think short, sassy. Not her Xtina/drrty phase, more like the adorable butterfly sequin dress she wore when she won her first grammy.

yes, she's older, more mature now. But OMG - she's still cute & girlie. I can't believe more people didn't go short for her.

I liked a lot of the designs - BUT - I agree: Where are the colors? Christina Aguilera isn't ALL black and white. She does many colors as well, and looks great in them.

I think had Christopher even done a high cut (nearly crotch) pleated skirt, I think he'd been higher up than the bottom three because the corset is better made than the pants. Another color too - an eye popping color to take away from the black clock outfit (maybe a scarlet red...), it might've done better.

Gordana's isn't bad (Had she NOT had the billowing skirt and had a different color, she might've had something that was closer to the challenge), but I do agree, she was lucky to have immunity.

As far as Shirin's I've said so many ideas I had for her skirt that I think would've helped her too. I really liked her, so I was sad to see her go (but admittedly the bottom two I was going to be sad that either were leaving).

The way I see this challenge is this: Christopher, Gordana, Shirin - good designers but burned out this challenge, and are burning out quickly. They need to rest as much as they can and just let their mind wander - they might actually be inspired better if they DON'T think than think. (Odd true, but it's how I figured out how to make the fused glass pendant I wanted to make).

Logan - his outfit actually isn't that bad of an idea, and is better tailored than last week's outfit just not really the best for a pop star because it does look like a fancy cavewoman costume. (This is saying a lot because I DO think Epperson had the better portfolio and should've stayed over poorly made trousers).

Irina's outfit isn't that hot pants contrary to her opinion. I think had it looks too much like a chemise - and while that style of clothing is in rock shows... that's no more redundant and "been there, done that" than Christopher's outfit. Hers was made better than Christopher's - so that's why she was safe.

Nicholas' is much better than I thought it was ... but I wish it was a different color because I do get the vibes of his movie costume outfit. That said, this is a MUCH better result than his previous one.

Althea's was definitely interesting how she used the material, it would work for one of Christina's ballads, and for once isn't a super short skirt and blazer.

I agree with Carol Hannah's win - The dress was Christina to a "T" and she even noticed details such as how Aguilera did at one time wear the '40s style hair and outfits. Though I wish it weren't black, I am however glad she didn't choose red - there could've been a comparison to dresses such as the one Vivien Leigh wore in "Gone with the Wind" (The one that made her look like a prostitute for the time it was set in), or Mae West - even though this dress was strapless and no huge feathers coming off the shoulders.

Overall, none of the design ideas were absolutely horrible - but the execution was missing as well as statement pieces/colors and other details used in pop/rock shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Fierce Critter;3731977;
    On 2nd look, I like Irina's more than I thought.

But when I think "Christina Aguilera," I think short, sassy. Not her Xtina/drrty phase, more like the adorable butterfly sequin dress she wore when she won her first grammy.

yes, she's older, more mature now. But OMG - she's still cute & girlie. I can't believe more people didn't go short for her.
    I've felt the same way about Irina's outfit since the show aired. I still don't know why she wasn't in the top 3 -- her outfit had the same concept as Christopher's, so she actually filled the requirements of the challenge, plus hers was made well.

I guess her fatal flaw was doing it in black. If she had done it in colors I bet it would have been noticed more. But even in black I thought it was a much more confident and better-made look than the whole top 3.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar

I'm with you guys on the lack of color. When they announced Christina, I immediately thought Royal Blue - it would show off her skin and hair beautifully, or something in Hot Pink would have been great too... some color that would STAND OUT so even at the back of the arena you would know where she was. It seemed like most of the designers (the winner included) designed more for her to wear on the red carpet... not on stage in a performance.
    I am totally over Irina. Her attitude stinks, and her outfit this week looked like something to wear to bed, not out in public.
    I'm VERY surpised that the judges did not mention that Shrin's outfit looked unfinished. There were so many frayed/unfinished edges on the skirt! In addition to the design issues, I thought it was very sloppy workmanship.

+ Reply to Thread