+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 10/15 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 10/15 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

I can't believe Christopher didn't get auf'ed!! Those sequin booty shorts were awful! Agree that Irina should get auf'ed because she's such a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3729492;
    Awful, awful, awful.

Was there a "black and white" theme going on last night, or did everyone decide that they were allergic to color all at once? When I think of Bob Mackie I think BIG! I think BOLD! I think "makes a STATEMENT!"
    Reality was that probably the one that at least fit Mackie's designs the best was Carol Hannah's. I've seen a few Bob Mackie designs that were a fancy, Mae West type outfit with feathers and such, but nothing over the top at shoulders or such. It wasn't boring, just dark - the way the light bounced off different parts of the dress showed it did have some eye play.

Also, please understand I don't know your age - but Mackie is known for styles such as what the designers wore. He also did costume designs for shows such as "The Carol Burnett Show," where he mixed some of his more outlandish outfits (such as the infamous curtain dress - complete with hanging rod) to the more subtle but colorful designs.

What I don't think is BORING!

With the exception of the winner last night, every single designer should have gotten the chop last night, especially considering that there were numerous Bob Mackie designs in the school staring them smack in the face for inspiration. This was a challenge that was tailor-made for an all out, balls to the wall "GO THERE" moment, and all of them failed miserably. Since Heidi seems to have a 24-7 hateon going for Gordana, I'm guessing that she's going to get AUFed next, Chris is going to cry, Irina will continue on her quest to alienate future buyers, Logan will continue to do just enough to get by, Carole Anne will produce something nice while staying low-profile and Althea will continue to be invisable. What's even worse is that every single designer that was somehow capable of thinking outside of the box has been AUFed already, so what's the point of even tuning in? We already know that we are going to be served boring with a side order of bitchery, so why even bother to eat?
    I have to disagree here because 1. They said stage dress and 2. the person they were designing for was Christina Aguilara, NOT Bob Mackie. The designs save a couple lean more toward her than him, which was the point of the challenge.

That said, I agree with you on Gordana (though her dress this week was by far her weakest outfit - it does also show she has trouble thinking outside the box. I even had ideas what she could've done with the shedding gems).

Chris at least has bounced back some (his outfit wasn't strongest here, but much better than a couple of his recent outfits), and yes, Irina doesn't get that she may not win here and people are going to have a tough time hiring a designer that acts like her designs are perfect and no one can change them (which the latter is what I read when she acts this way).

Logan should've been gone last week, not Epperson. Epperson had a better large scale portfolio than Logan did - even with the shirt dress (good design, bad material).

[quote\]As crazy, conceptual, analytical, and detailed Ari, Marvin, Ra'Mon and Epperson might have been, what I wasn't was BORED. I WANT THEM BACK.[/QUOTE]

Ari's and Mavin's outfits were badly made IMHO. Ra'Mon and Epperson however I DO agree with. I was very puzzled whe Ra'Mon's dress was auf'ed - I thought it was a creative reptile person, and apparently none of them have seen a show like "Darna" where the nemesis Valentina has an outfit that looks like shedded snakeskin.

not a star, not an elf StarryElf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3729841;
    Also, please understand I don't know your age - but Mackie is known for styles such as what the designers wore. He also did costume designs for shows such as "The Carol Burnett Show," where he mixed some of his more outlandish outfits (such as the infamous curtain dress - complete with hanging rod) to the more subtle but colorful designs.
    I remember the curtain dress from the Gone With The Wind skit, that was pretty awesome.

The dress Carol Hannah produced did somewhat resemble the style of some of Cher's dresses from the Sonny & Cher show, which Bob Mackie also designed, though it was definitely more low-key than his typical designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;3729454;
    I think it speaks volumes when even Snarky Nicolaus says Irina is a bitch. You can feel mean pour off her. Yuck.
    Yeah, what'd he say, "She's a really good designer. Her problem is...she's a bitch." Loved it!

Shirin totally missed the mark here (as did others) but overall, I thought she had more higher-scoring looks than Christopher. Even this outfit reminds me of all the same outfit, the shape, maybe? And I'd have thought he'd stay away from pants of any type after the last two challenges.

Logan...I expected something better but it was an interesting look, to me. Maybe I'm a closet cave-woman.

For the long dresses, I liked Althea's the best, then Carol Hannah's. And I forgive Nickolaus the similarity to the costume because I think it really did suit Christina and just unfortunately happened to be close to the other design.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3729492;
    As crazy, conceptual, analytical, and detailed Ari, Marvin, Ra'Mon and Epperson might have been, what I wasn't was BORED. I WANT THEM BACK.
    I agree. There is no one in this cast that just really moves me like previous seasons.
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3729841;
    Reality was that probably the one that at least fit Mackie's designs the best was Carol Hannah's. I've seen a few Bob Mackie designs that were a fancy, Mae West type outfit with feathers and such, but nothing over the top at shoulders or such. It wasn't boring, just dark - the way the light bounced off different parts of the dress showed it did have some eye play.

I have to disagree here because 1. They said stage dress and 2. the person they were designing for was Christina Aguilara, NOT Bob Mackie. The designs save a couple lean more toward her than him, which was the point of the challenge.

That said, I agree with you on Gordana (though her dress this week was by far her weakest outfit - it does also show she has trouble thinking outside the box. I even had ideas what she could've done with the shedding gems).

Chris at least has bounced back some (his outfit wasn't strongest here, but much better than a couple of his recent outfits), and yes, Irina doesn't get that she may not win here and people are going to have a tough time hiring a designer that acts like her designs are perfect and no one can change them (which the latter is what I read when she acts this way).

Logan should've been gone last week, not Epperson. Epperson had a better large scale portfolio than Logan did - even with the shirt dress (good design, bad material).

I'm old enough to have grown up with Carole Burnett reruns, and loved a lot of his stuff. I agree as the challenge went maybe CHs dress might not have been the best choice if you wanted something to move around in, but Christina DOES have a couple of numbers where she's either seated or standing and sings (a la torch singer style), so maybe she designed with that in mind? Christina has a few costume changes in her shows.

Christiana has a very vibrant stage presence, and I remember some of the awesome things that Mackie did for Cher on her tours and award ceremonies. This was definitely not a client with a more sedate stage persona (ie: Alicia Keyes), so why all of the solemn colors? They could have went far out with the colors and styles. Maybe it's just a question of taste, but I wanted some Soony and Cher/Phunkadelic/Lady Marmalade moments, and there weren't any to be had. I was really disappointed. What's even worse is I think the client was too. While it seemed like Christina liked a couple of the outfits, you could tell she wanted something..more.

Ari's and Mavin's outfits were badly made IMHO. Ra'Mon and Epperson however I DO agree with. I was very puzzled whe Ra'Mon's dress was auf'ed - I thought it was a creative reptile person, and apparently none of them have seen a show like "Darna" where the nemesis Valentina has an outfit that looks like shedded snakeskin.
    Ramon should have lied and said his garment was from a very low-budget B movie; that might have been enough for the save!

Marvin's outfit was very well-made. He just had the misfortune of having 3 mothers on the panel who were all VERY offended at the idea of the whole "Mother hen and chick" concept, lol! The leggings were also a turn-off. I think if he had created a long linen tank dress with the same feathery detail he put on the tank top Mitchell probably would have gotten the chop. I liked the concept of Ari's, but she could have taken it a lot farther AND explained it better. What I liked about these 4 designers (and what this show is sorely missing now) is that they had an element of unpredictability to their work. Every week before watching the show I could think "Gee, I wonder what X is going to make this week!" and I can't do that now, because IMO the designers that are left don't have that element to their work.

What I've always found unfair about this show is that a designer gets chopped every week so we never get a full grasp of what some of the early AUFed designers are capable of. In addition, others get penalized when they have an "off" week. What might work better is to have the judging more like Miss USA. There's the same number of shows, but no weekly AUFings. Each week, the judges can give the same critiques, place people in the top and bottom three but rate each outfit in secret. If it's a 13 episodes season, they should have a mass AUFing of the 1/3 of the designers that have the total lowest scores on the 4th episode, and then another 1/3 on the 8th episode. This would stop good designers from being AUFed for having a bad week, gives designer who might have been weak in the beginning a chance to improve, and gives the viewing audience a better sense of the designer's work. That way, if (theoretically) Mitchell, Quistal, Ari and Logan were all cut Week 4 we've at least seen more of their work and what they could do, and prevents the "Austin Scarlett Effect" from occurring.

A designer should leave every week from the 9th week on, with the final 4 chosen on the 11th episode and the finale shown for the last two. Does that make sense?
    Last edited by Kao; 10-17-2009 at 08:50 PM.

It does make sense and then more quirky (at least this - I do remember Ari's dress and actually did like ideas of it, but the execution was bad) designers such as the four we've mentioned would at least have a few chances.

While I've agreed on most of the dismissals (Epperson's is the only one that has bugged me for many reasons), I do get the idea that they should have at least three episodes to show what they're capable of. That way they can see if it's just an off week or consistently bad. I think one reason that Christopher has lasted as long as he has is that he has had a couple of excellent, a couple of good but "safe" ones and then a couple of bottom two. I personally think that he was in bottom two this week only because of his under outfit, not the top (Though I think it'd been better in a brighter color).

Looking at past eps compared to now, I've noticed that Christopher, Gordana and even to a point Nicholas are getting burned out and it's affecting their work. All of them have had really nice designs, even if the execution has been safe or out of weird material at times. Even Epperson fell victim to this with his outfit last week - I think had he done the bodice differently (the way he did the lacing didn't help the outfit, and the bow certainly didn't IMHO), he might've pulled out a save last week instead of being outed.

Logan has been consistently ill designed and made outfits and been escaping out, Irina is just boring (though I will admit her wedding dress was nice), and Carol Hannah is ... Carol Hannah.

Shirin was burned out - I really think her dress could've been in the top two had she styled the skirt differently. I actually liked it a lot, but think had she made the skirt much shorter and had the ruffles a little more shaggy around the waist (little bit like Nicholas'), she might've pulled it off.

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

I just really am not agreeing with the auf's this season. Both my husband and I thought for sure Christopher was finally going home.

Shirin's missed the mark, but no worse (IMO) than Christopher's. And Shrin has shown more quality in design and construction than Christopher.

I'm so glad to hear someone else talk about what a complete and total bitch Irina is. My God, why would anyone be like that? I don't get it. I so want her gone.

old cow

**SPOILER**
    Click to see Spoiler:
    if Im reading the previews for the next episode correctly and the previews for Models of the Runway i do believe that Christopher is going home. Im usually pretty good at reading these previews and all signs point to him.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Click to see Spoiler:
    I'm thinking it's either him or Gordana.

A preview on Lifetime showed a lot of stress and a lot of drama next week. Tim is counseling someone to fight back. It showed Carol Hannah and Logan at opposite ends of their work table, neither looking happy. Is the bloom off Carol Hannah's crush?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast