Shirin

Re: Week 6 Photos - Movie Genre Challenge

Louise - BOTTOM 3

Gordana - BOTTOM 3

Ra'mon - AUF'D

old cow

thanxs for the pics lobeck!

The more i look at Gordana's design the more i just cant understand why she was in the bottom 3?!

UGH! Why do the judges hate her so? Her dress was beautiful!

^IKR
    Gordana's dress actually is one of my favourites in this challenge,the execution is really impressive.
    Also,I don't get the love for Christopher at all.His design is pretty average and boring.

I can see why Gordana got the smackdown, although they could have just as easily put Shirin instead of her in the bottom 3 for the same reason. They both made costumes. Not costume-inspired high fashion, but literal costumes that could have been used in period movies. No matter how well they are executed, the pieces tell the judges nothing about the designer's vision or creativity. They are left to decide if Gordana and Shirin simply didn't "get" this challenge, or if they just don't have an original vision as designers. (All of this IMHO, of course)
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Looking at the still of Gordana's piece, it didn't even feel flapper all that much. Yes the craftmanship is there and that is where her comments went, but if she had shortened it to above the knee and added strappy sandals rather than clunky boot type shoes, maybe it would have read better. I noticed in the actual runway walk when the model turned around that she had taken Tim's suggestion and draped the back much lower.

I think Irinia's film noir is the most interesting and "modern" of the three in that genre. I really liked Carol Hannah's much more than her new flirt, Logan's interpretation of action. Ra'mon's last minute attempt at his lizard girl was too rushed. It would have been fascinating if more time and effort could have been spent. Once again, Epperson's has an almost shredded look to it - only this time with the out-sized ruffled collar and they way he layered they fabric.

I get why they chose Nicholas' outfit. He met the challenge (key on makeup) moreso than the others. From the hair treatment to her silver sandals, the model really looked other worldly - whether fantasy or scifi is, of course, up for debate.

I'm still pulling for Gordana, but only if she can reach beyond her safe dresses and show more than her skill as a seamstress.

Nicolas was boring on the design, A sedate Buck Rogers or Narnia almost. Not bad, but not a costume or a piece that tells a story. Or even costume inspired design. It would not look out of place on the red carpet, frankly.

Poor Ra'mon. He should have stayed with the jumpsuit and followed his model's advice. Do a coat. Or a skirt. If they go only by the design they are looking at, he deserved to be in the bottom. I actually agreed with Gordana being in the bottom 3. Last time I thought she should have been in the top three. But I looked at her dress and thought of some old curtains we had growing up. Just add fringe. The silhouette was all wrong. I didn't see any of these on the runway, so perhaps it moved well. I would have had Althea or Shirin.
    round out the bottom.

My 8-year-old son said Irina's was his favorite, followed by Nicolas. I think was picking which model he thought looked the best. He has yet to go through the "girls are icky" phase.

Congrats to Nicolas, he definitely deserve to win with his overall presentation, the make up and the trick they did with the hair was just amazing!

I feel bad for Gordanna, I am always a fan of her work, but I agree with what the judges are saying, she's constantly safe, its not that she does horrible work, its just that she isn't being innovative, she makes amazing designs, but she doesn't take risks or think outside the box.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast