+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 9/24 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: 9/24 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Ra'mon should have been eliminated in Week 2 for that bowling ball outfit, or Week 3 for the toilet-dyed dress, or week 4 for sending a short column dress with a car-sized bow on the front; or last night, like he was. He should have known better from Week 2 that jumpsuits aren't successful in time constrained challenges. Yeah, Louise's dress was a bit meh, but at least it was wearable.

What do these judges have against Gordana? Shirin's hackneyed interpretation of a saloon girl deserved to be up there more than Gordana's flapper design.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;3711294;
    Ra'mon should have been eliminated in Week 2 for that bowling ball outfit, or Week 3 for the toilet-dyed dress, or week 4 for sending a short column dress with a car-sized bow on the front; or last night, like he was. He should have known better from Week 2 that jumpsuits aren't successful in time constrained challenges. Yeah, Louise's dress was a bit meh, but at least it was wearable.

What do these judges have against Gordana? Shirin's hackneyed interpretation of a saloon girl deserved to be up there more than Gordana's flapper design.
    I liked both of their dresses- Shirins would look great with a short leather Jacket (can you tell I was a teen in the 80s). I was waiting for a comment on the 2 Matrix revisited outfits.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

Guys, calm down about Gordana's! While definitely not a bottom 3, THERE WAS NO DESIGN THERE!

It was a basic 1920s shift dress. Gordana is an amazing sewer, but I do NOT see designer. Remember this is to find the best new designer, not sewer.

Actually I thought Althea's should've been in the bottom three instead. At least Gordana's styled hers correctly.

And yes, IMO Ra'mon should've gone home. This is the 2nd or 3rd time he's pulled that last minute stuff out. You can't do that on this show. Is he a good designer? Absolutely judging by his pre-show portfolio. But PR is about putting the designers through the ringer to see if they can take the hectic work pace & challenges that sometimes comes along. That was absolutely the right decision over Louise, while boring, was well-made.

I think people are being far too hard on things that are beyond PR & Lifetime's control (good designers making crappy outfits, Europe's Fashion Week)

The winner on the other hand....

Hubby is really impressed with how well Christopher is doing with no formal training. I did not like the way the materials on the bottom half of the dress looked. We don't particularly like Epperson, but thought his dress was really good this week. Either one could conceivably been first, but we are happy for Nicholas. We have liked him from the beginning. He is smart and talented. Bitchy enough to be funny without being classless or obnoxious as many contestants from previous seasons have been. I suppose they all did well considering they only had one day to turn it out!

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3711364;
    Guys, calm down about Gordana's! While definitely not a bottom 3, THERE WAS NO DESIGN THERE!

The winner on the other hand....
    Calm down?! Calm down?! You calm down! Haha, just kidding hutch. Yea i kinda see your point but i still think her dress was stunning and at the very least didnt deserve the bottom 3....maybe middle of the pack...

GAK you arent kidding about Nicolas design that was horrible!

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;3711364;

It was a basic 1920s shift dress. Gordana is an amazing sewer, but I do NOT see designer. Remember this is to find the best new designer, not sewer.

Actually I thought Althea's should've been in the bottom three instead. At least Gordana's styled hers correctly.
    I had a closer look at Gordana's dress, and I must say the detailing on it (which we really didn't get to see last night) was amazing. What I don't understand is that there were several garments last night that fell under the "too costumey, well-executed but not creative" umbrella, yet Gordana was the one that was criticised for it. It seems like the judges have picked her to be this season's whipping boy and it's really getting uncomfortable to watch.

FORT Fogey

Why were the producers so vague about the goal of this challenge? The genre idea was good, but were the designers to produce a literal costume or fashion? If the end game is a costume, then Gordana’s flapper, Sherin’s dance hall girl and Carol’s Action star were tops. And OK, Nicolas’s Ice Queen gets points as well. (But the WIN?)

On the other hand if the genre was to inspire fashion, then Christopher and Epperson were the best.

You couldn’t tell from the judging; they seemed to want it both ways.

I love Gordana, and it really got my dander up when Irina or Shirin or whoever talked about how she wasn't in the same league. I agree on the detailing, it was exquisite, just not "outside the box" like some of the others. I didn't think Louise's dress was any more creative, but I was glad she got to stay. More glad that she got to voice that it was nice to just be on stage, good or bad, to hear some comments! Sorry to see Ra'mon go, but that was a couple of pretty crazy outfits he's put out. I liked all three of the top designs, was okay with Nicklaus getting the win, but kinda would have preferred Epperson get it. Next week looks interesting!

My random thoughts...

- I agree that Chris and Epperson's were BY FAR better than Nicholas, I am very sad that neither of them won. They had costume and drama - I thought Nicolas's was kind of boring in comparison. And I was seeing the ice queen dress on film, and I still thought it looked cheap compared to the other top designs!

_ I actually yelled at my tv when they said Ra'mon was out. He isn't my fav, but he has had some good designs whereas Louise has always been "safe". I'd rather see Ra'mon's interesting designs over Louise's boring ones.

- I was really glad the models had to get changed up this week.

- I was starting to wonder if Epperson's "button" is heavier than all the others since it seems to always fall to the bottom of the draw bag!!

- There are SOME things I am liking about this season, MOTR for example. It is interesting to have that other perspective on the show.

- I am really getting tired of Irina's nasty remarks about the other designers. I hope it comes back to bite her...

I am relatively pleased with this season, esp MOTR too ClostRTWatcher. Also the workroom seems brighter & cheerier.

I just wish the filming hadn't falled during Europe's Fashion Week so that La Nina & MK were MIA.

I also wish they had changed the background of the runway. Some of the detailing in the outfits (esp Louise's this week) you can't see. This has always been a problem w/PR, and it's something I thought they would've addressed.

I also wish they had more inspired challenges rather than "make a dress for this.... (pregnancy, awards show, blah blah blah). The last two weeks are proving better, so I have hopes for the rest of the season.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast