+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9/3 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 9/3 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3690965;
    I'm annoyed that the designer that probably would have rocked this challenge was sent home last week in favor of someone who openly stated that he picked Ra'Mon because he wanted "someone to carry him (who does that to a friend?), who played around while seeing his "friend" struggling to finish two outfits in time for something that benefited BOTH of them, who was joking with another designer about getting Aufed, and who basically sewed a few scraps of fabric together to make a bikini that the judges didn't even see and burned his finger. The only thing positive I can say about him was that once put on the spot he stated that his contribution to the challenge was minimal (instead of trying to take credit. Even though Antonio was joking with him, I got the impression that he (and some of the other designers, like Louise) were really disgusted with him.

Someone obviously thought he was adorable somewhere and slid him into this competition, but when I think of Cluck-cluck (who got sent home early but actually wanted to be here) and the designers who didn't make the cut it makes me very angry.
    I can't help but think/hope that he got on the show for having some talent. And, for me, I liked his ideas but his implementation was horrible and his vision (while nice) wasn't much more than just pretty (i.e. not very interesting but appealing).

When he said he picked Ramon because he needed someone to carry him was at least honest. I think I saw Mitchell on a rapid spiral downwards ever since the first episode during which I think he realized he was in over his head.

Who knows. Maybe he was selected because he'd be a way that the show could send a message to all the other non-sewers who want to be on the show.

It is unfortunate for Malvin and others. I would much rather have seen what Malvin could do for a few more episodes over this guy.
    Last edited by Jexter; 09-05-2009 at 03:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3690965;
    Someone obviously thought he was adorable somewhere and slid him into this competition, but when I think of Cluck-cluck (who got sent home early but actually wanted to be here) and the designers who didn't make the cut it makes me very angry.
    Good point, I hadn't really thought that far. Would have been interesting to see what Malvin came up with and how he worked on a team. As others have said, the concepts confused me. Of course, I lived so far from the beach, that we had to make whatever our day look was into something that worked for night and the bars/clubs in the area. I guess that's what I hoped to see a little more clearly. Also, how did the hair styling get presented as being so important to the judging? I think I remember only one comment about the hairstyle (and can't remember if it was that it worked or didn't...was it Gordana and Nick's model?).

FORT Fanatic

I finally put my finger on why the "surf" designs didn't work for me: They are more resort wear than California surf culture designs. The designers made a bunch of swimsuits and cover-ups but they didn't capture the essence of the surf culture. There was a reason the fabric budget was only $50--we're not talking haute couture but surf wear is a thriving enterprise (at least from what I see kids wearing here in Los Angeles).

For some of the designs, the only women I could picture wearing them would be has-been starlets with leathery skin from spending too much time in the sun.

This episode was a total WTF episode altogether, for many reasons:

-So the designers were supposed to design an avant garde piece that had to tie in with their beachwear design? Those are just... two different worlds IMO.

-Additionally, none of the beachwear designs or the avant garde pieces looked like they matched, except for Johnny/Irina and Gordana/Nicolas.

-Do the judges know what avant garde is? How was Ra'mon's dress avant garde? It was a nice, simple dress with a stain in the front, but nothing totally out of the blue. His beachwear design was nice, but which one of the California girls would wear it to the beach? It's more suited for a night out. Ra'mon won mostly because he did all the work, IMO.

-The most avant garde and the most beach-ready were Nicolas and Gordana's pieces. But the judges hated their stuff! Sure, the AG piece was very suggestive, but AG pieces usually get criticized for that. That "mermaid" piece (as Gordana put it ) was actually my favorite. And their beachwear design is probably what the California girls would wear out of all the designers' pieces (other than Althea/Louise's beachwear piece). The pants were messy, but that top was good.

-It troubles me to think that Mitchell landed in the top, but still got eliminated. Can the judges do that? Well, yeah, they can, but is it fair? I know that he didn't do any of the work, but what if he and Ra'mon landed in the middle? Then Mitchell would have been safe.

-I was really shocked with who landed in the Top2. I thought the people in the middle of the pack were better than the ones who landed on the top. Heck, I thought Gordana/Nicolas would have landed at the top, but they dropped to the bottom instead!

It was a very memorable episode, but for weird reasons. I think Mitchell's time was up, but his elimination just troubles me a bit for the reason stated above.

Also, I'm just wanna know: who are you all rooting for? 'Cause right now, I really don't have a favorite.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3691860;

-So the designers were supposed to design an avant garde piece that had to tie in with their beachwear design? Those are just... two different worlds IMO.

-Additionally, none of the beachwear designs or the avant garde pieces looked like they matched, except for Johnny/Irina and Gordana/Nicolas.

-Do the judges know what avant garde is? How was Ra'mon's dress avant garde? It was a nice, simple dress with a stain in the front, but nothing totally out of the blue. His beachwear design was nice, but which one of the California girls would wear it to the beach? It's more suited for a night out. Ra'mon won mostly because he did all the work, IMO.

-The most avant garde and the most beach-ready were Nicolas and Gordana's pieces. But the judges hated their stuff! Sure, the AG piece was very suggestive, but AG pieces usually get criticized for that. That "mermaid" piece (as Gordana put it ) was actually my favorite. And their beachwear design is probably what the California girls would wear out of all the designers' pieces (other than Althea/Louise's beachwear piece). The pants were messy, but that top was good.

-It troubles me to think that Mitchell landed in the top, but still got eliminated. Can the judges do that? Well, yeah, they can, but is it fair? I know that he didn't do any of the work, but what if he and Ra'mon landed in the middle? Then Mitchell would have been safe.

-I was really shocked with who landed in the Top2. I thought the people in the middle of the pack were better than the ones who landed on the top. Heck, I thought Gordana/Nicolas would have landed at the top, but they dropped to the bottom instead!

It was a very memorable episode, but for weird reasons. I think Mitchell's time was up, but his elimination just troubles me a bit for the reason stated above.

Also, I'm just wanna know: who are you all rooting for? 'Cause right now, I really don't have a favorite.
    I don't have a favorite yet, either. I haven't been able to get feel for personalities or "real" talent for them yet. I guess I like Shirin's designs the best so far, but hers seem to have been pretty "safe."
    Every time MF grins, somewhere in the world a unicorn dies.
    I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Oh wow, I totally didn't notice that I wrote "I'm just wanna know..."

But yeah, there really isn't anyone that sticks out yet, both favorite-wise and personality-wise. I think Mitchell was a character, but he was more of a when-are-you-going-to-get-eliminated type of character. I had hopes that Gordana would bring the laughs, but so far, she has only had one one-liner ("Maybe she is like a sea woman who is slowly becoming a human, like in the movie Mermaid" ).

But I strangely kinda like this season, even with the lack of favorites and personalities/characters. Though I do think Models of the Runway has done a better job with its cast, and that's kind of a sad thing to say since that show was more of a continuation of this show. It's also sad to say that I'm enjoying that show more than this show.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

This is one of the few reality shows I'd like to see as a 2-hour show. I'd be so interested in seeing more of their design "thought" process, the actual construction of the designs and more of the individual reactions to the pressure. It would also be SO nice if they'd let us see more than a 2.6 second clip of each designer's finished product. I feel so robbed at that point in the show. I kinda feel I've invested my time, so, damn it, let me see the outfit!!! I'm fascinated by the process. I'd like to see more about how each envisions the design, translates that to a drawing, chooses the fabric to not just make the outfit but to bring it to life, etc. I'm no fashionista, so I wish they let folks like me in to see that process.
    Every time MF grins, somewhere in the world a unicorn dies.
    I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by CrossingGuard;3691860;

This season has been lacking in clever challenges and this was no exception. I just did not get the tie in here at all.

I thought Johnny & Irina should have won. I thought their beachwear outfit was actually somewhat like beachwear, whereas Ra'mon's was more like surfer evening wear. I didn't like J&I's avantegarde outfit much, but I thought it was WAY more avantgarde than Ra'mon's. The other pair I really liked was Carol Hannah and Shirin. I thought they might have gotten the shaft in this challenge because TPTB felt they had to put the spotlight on Ra'mon and Mitchell because of the workload issues they had.

As far as Nicolas and Gordana's work, I thought that avantgarde lace monstrosity that they created was one of the most hideous outfits I have ever seen in any season of this show!! It definitely pushed some boundaries - that poor model looked like a tacky avantgarde street walker!!

Ramon's avantgarde dress wasn't attractive, appealing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast