+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 8/27 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 8/27 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by raisinthesun;3682017;
    I must say the models looked liked they just shoved beach balls in there dresses. Really dumb. But is it b/c of the Models of the Runway show that they couldnt find actual pregnant women to be the models?
    The tummies they used were designed for bigger women, clearly. They were just too big! It would skew the entire model trip they have going on to use new pregnant ones, never mind the complication of getting the right sized tummy padding for each designer to use on their forms.

Kao

I wish they could have gotten their hands on the maternity tummies that also had the boobs as well; the only reason why some of those outfits worked last night was because the models were still smaller on top. When you're pregnant, EVERYTHING is voluptous.

After last night I think I'm going to stop giving Mitchell the benefit of the doubt. Considering how he was the only designer who has actually had experience designing for expecting women, what he sent out was really ill-fitting.

FORT Fan

You guys are way too harsh on Mitchell.

His outfit, as the judges said, looked cute and wearable, it's the excecution that got him in the bottom three, not the design itself.

Last week he was seriously screwed because of his model, six inches of difference on a tailor-made dress is huge. This week he showed he has the ideas, he has the type of design that could actually work in the real world, but he's lacking the skills to realize it.

I'm glad that they're getting rid of the conceptual people first. They think that individuality will get them the world, but they're too conceptual to see reality. Much like last week, this week we saw something that was just weird for the sake of weird. That's not design, that's not art, that's just someone who lost his connection to his profession. You can be self-indulgent back home, but when you're dealing with others you need to realize that your concept is only going to last you as far as your client's wishes. You need to compromise, you nee to edit yourself.

Malvin didn't edit his thought-process... he got stuck on a concept that he thought was amazing, because it was sooooo conceptual, not because it was a good design.

Mitchell is getting all kinds of dreck thrown at him, even from the models, but I don't think it's fair. He's the weakest of the bunch on the practical side, but people are throwing him in front of a bus for no reason.

The judges decide who stays and who goes, blaming Mitchell for not being voted off is just stupid.
    Last edited by Cairon; 08-28-2009 at 04:09 PM.

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by Cairon;3682168;
    You guys are way too harsh on Mitchell.

His outfit, as the judges said, looked cute and wearable, it's the excecution that got him in the bottom three, not the design itself.

Last week he was seriously screwed because of his model, six inches of difference on a tailor-made dress is huge. This week he showed he has the ideas, he has the type of design that could actually work in the real world, but he's lacking the skills to realize it.

I'm glad that they're getting rid of the conceptual people first. They think that individuality will get them the world, but they're too conceptual to see reality. Much like last week, this week we saw something that was just weird for the sake of weird. That's not design, that's not art, that's just someone who lost his connection to his profession. You can be self-indulgent back home, but when you're dealing with others you need to realize that your concept is only going to last you as far as your client's wishes. You need to compromise, you nee to edit yourself.

Malvin didn't edit his thought-process... he got stuck on a concept that he thought was amazing, because it was sooooo conceptual, not because it was a good design.

Mitchell is getting all kinds of dreck thrown at him, even from the models, but I don't think it's fair. He's the weakest of the bunch on the practical side, but people are throwing him in front of a bus for no reason.

The judges decide who stays and who goes, blaming Mitchell for not being voted off is just stupid.

Agreed! Mitchell's design would have been really cute if he had gotten the shorts to look a little better. Malvin sooo totally deserved to go home last nite. That baby sling/chicken design was just awful! Come on, what pregnant woman wants to be compared to a barn animal. It was borderline insulting IMO.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Little Sew&Sew;3682008;
    My favorite of the night was Irina's blue dress with flowers.
    I agree! I thought that would be one of the top looks. Maybe they thought it was too simple - but it looked very flattering.

FORT Fogey

This was a first for me. I liked every single one of the outfits on tonight's show - even Mitchell's and Malvin's. There wasn't a dog in the bunch (IMO) which was very exciting.

Even though Mitchell can't sew, I loved the overall look. And for Malvin, if his top was a shirt and not a sling, I would wear it in an instant. I'm kind of an earthy person and I liked where he was coming from - he just needed to execute it in a more refined way. I would like to have seen more from Malvin, and I'm disappointed he left. I would much rather have seen Mitchell go instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3682145;
    I wish they could have gotten their hands on the maternity tummies that also had the boobs as well; the only reason why some of those outfits worked last night was because the models were still smaller on top. When you're pregnant, EVERYTHING is voluptous.
    Not on everyone. The only time I looked voluptuous was when I was at home filled with milk and my newborn daughter was still in the hospital's NICU. And man was that painful.

I'm all for giving Mitchell another chance. I feel he's got something to WOW us.

I really like most all of the maternity outfits. Even Epperson's was pretty, minus the jumpsuit. He must have forgotten that a pregnant woman uses the facilities A LOT. His design would have been perfect had there been a dress/skirt under that jacket instead of a jumpsuit.

FORT Fogey

I didn't think Mitchell's outfit was so bad, but agree with what I think the judges said ... that it was poorly sewn. Also thought the shorts were way too short and the outfit would have been more wearable if they were a little longer. BTW, does anyone else think that Mitchell looks a lot like the actor David C. Hall who stars in Dexter and formerly appeared in Six Feet Under? I think they look remarkably alike in the face and shape of the head. Both last names are Hall, too.

Quote Originally Posted by raisinthesun;3682184;

Agreed! Mitchell's design would have been really cute if he had gotten the shorts to look a little better. Malvin sooo totally deserved to go home last nite. That baby sling/chicken design was just awful! Come on, what pregnant woman wants to be compared to a barn animal. It was borderline insulting IMO.
    lol I was like, the woman could give birth, throw the kid in and keep working, like in the old days. Heh. At least Malvin acknowledged that he was caught up in his concept.

I liked Mitchell's outfit, had it been sewn well. Which makes me wonder, why would they pick "designers" like him who have worked in other areas of the industry but don't necessarily know how to sew or haven't for years? And are there successful designers who can't sew themselves? I recall a show with regular people vying for a "celeb" to wear an outfit they created, and they had seamstresses available to assist...much like carpenters in design programs. Is that a viable direction to head? (Obviously, much better to see someone who can handle all aspects of the process but maybe someone with really, really great designs would not make it.)

Kao

What's really upsetting is that Mitchell is the only one of the contestants who has experience with maternity wear!

I thought that he was going to completely redeem last week and knock this out of the ballpark. Instead, he just slopped up some clothes. The caftan he made last week at least looked well-sewed and had a nice detail on the back. What he made this week had a lot of potential had it been constructed decently.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast