+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Models of the Runway - season 1

FORT Fan

Re: Models of the Runway - season 1

Luckily the production crew knows that this show is meaningless without tension, hence the obligatory change of models next week. With the loyalty aspect gone, at least there's going to be some tension.

What was it that prompted Ramon to keep his model even though he didn't want to work with her anymore?

And why were people so eager to throw Mitchell under the bus, when they are treating that little fat rat Nicolas like they normally would have treated him? Mitchell got crucified for pointing out his model not having the same measurements as the card indicated... oh wait, that's it right there, the girls don't really care about what the designers so or do to each other...
    This is not a signature.

FORT Newbie

I find the show to be a little creepy. The models have NO say in their fate each week. It's like a horrible adult version of junior high gym class and the pain of being the last one chosen for the dodgeball team.

The expressions on their faces during the elimination is painful. Then when they are picked, even grudgingly by a second rate designer, they can only say "Thank you." Let's hope that they are well paid and the television exposure will help their careers.

Which begs the question: Why do I keep watching every week?

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3705984;
    Yes , that's right. They can go home to their "superior" country. (hmm, if America is so bad, why did they come?)
    Perhaps because the country they came from would throw them in jail for daring to criticize their nation or government? And Fatma's comments weren't even political, they were cultural.

She was commenting on the insanity of American women who starve themselves for vanity or fame, when women in her home country were just starving, period. I think it was a wise observation.

Lots of people who come here from deprived countries find it hard to grasp our wasteful, self-centered culture, and I don't blame them. We're not always right.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

No, we are not always right, not even often right in some circumstances. However, when I am a guest in someone else's country, I try to have the manners of a guest, whether or not I'm earning money in that country. Americans are criticized for being rude when they travel; just look at some of the deserved and not-so-deserved comments on this board during Amazing Race. The same rules should apply when others visit the U.S. Unfortunately, courtesy seems to be a dying concept globally.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fan

I'll be the first to say if you don't love our country, go find another place to live. But she was right in saying women here starve themselves to look beautiful, and the obesity is astounding to her coming from a country where people are starving.

As for travelling, I agree, travel is so good for everyone. But unfortunately I can pick out the rude American around the world, and tragically, they are almost always from NY or NJ (speaking as a Jersey girl myself). But I've come across many, many rude people from other countries as well. Most notably, Germans. But one thing I can't stand is the idea is any culture feeling they're more sophisticated or cultured than another. The reason so many europeans have travelled to other countries is because europe is so small and the US is so big.

A huge pet peeve of mine is when people trash their own country and even more than that when somebody relocates to a country and then trashes it. My thought is the same for both types....leave! I love my country, I think it's beautiful and I am happy being here because I know if I am willing to work my butt off I can get somewhere. There are more opportunities for a female minority here than anywhere else.

*off the soap box*

So I was prepared to be royal ticked off at Fatma after reading all the comments here and I have to say.....I'm not! She told the truth. We do have an obesity problem. Everything she said was spot on but maybe it stung a bit more coming from a foreigner? I don't know. But I didn't have any issue with what she said. I also understood how she couldn't understand why people were starving themselves in American on purpose when people in her country are starving period. Finally, more than likely the majority of what she said was taken out of content in order to incite some response from the viewers.

Team A vs Team Non-A .... if all that isn't a bunch of ridiculousness I don't know what is. It just goes to prove that if you get a group of people together in any situation for an extended amount of time that they just revert to high school behavior. I saw it all the time on the ship and it drove me crazy.

I did find it funny how they are supposed to be Team International and yet one of their members is American. Shouldn't she be on Team A? I've grown to like all the girls on the non Team-A. Even Fatma. At first I couldn't stand her but I think that was just cultural differences. Now after a few airings, I'm getting her more and I sort of like her. Would I be friends with somebody like her? Probably. I like surrounding myself with thoughtful and intelligent people and non Team-A comes off that way with how they were eating and discussing semi-mature topics as opposed to Team A who was coming up with ridiculous names for themselves.

Tara.....so Gordana is the invisible designer and now her model is as well? Why are these two barely given any airtime on either show? It's perplexing.

Oh for the person who posted that Americans are rude travelers or something like that? I read a travel magazine article that said that the French are voted as the rudest and stingiest travelers. That Americans were actually considered very polite and very generous with their tips. I think TAR is just a whole other animal and it being a competition brings the worst out in people (all about the winning...and it sort of should be...it is a competition).
    Last edited by Harmony2000; 09-19-2009 at 05:42 PM.

Tara gets confessionals here and there. She has had her moments, including Katie picking her to participate in her prize and Heidi calling her out in front of everyone. Simone Celine is even more hidden. I think she got her first confessional aired in the newest episode.

I kind of like Fatma. I appreciated her for the drama, because it kept the show interesting. But now she's coming across well IMO. I've always liked her look, but now I'm noticing that she's very articulate when she speaks. She got her point across well, and I'm not arguing with what she said at all. In fact, it's actually true. She was especially spot on when she told Kalyn that she won't appreciate America fully until she leaves it. She is a great presence to this show, and she better stick around until the end. She's just such a great character--dramatic during one moment, and caring during another. Complex characters like her are the best.

I think that the other girls (especially Vanessa) will nitpick on everything that Fatma says. If Fatma says anything that is even somewhat controversial, Vanessa will take offense to it. That girl is just way too thin-skinned.

But my favorites are still Matar and Kojii. I like Matar's personality. I thought she came across so sweet with the whole Matar-Erica storyline. I also like her look. And I like Kojii because she has my favorite look out of all the models.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

old cow

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;3706078;
    Gambia.

I think she was right on the money when she told Kalyn that she'd appreciate America more once she left it and visited other places. What we take for granted is absolutely astounding, and not everyone has patience for it.

Thanxs Kao

Oh for the person who posted that Americans are rude travelers or something like that? I read a travel magazine article that said that the French are voted as the rudest and stingiest travelers. That Americans were actually considered very polite and very generous with their tips. I think TAR is just a whole other animal and it being a competition brings the worst out in people (all about the winning...and it sort of should be...it is a competition).
    Americans are usually considered generous with tips because they actually tip ;-) In most other countries, servers are paid a "living wage" and tips aren't expected (although it depends on the country. For example, in Germany, it's customary to round up to the nearest Euro, but tips are not expected in places like Australia and New Zealand.)

Living Vicariously via RT Fierce Critter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3706159;
    She was commenting on the insanity of American women who starve themselves for vanity or fame, when women in her home country were just starving, period. I think it was a wise observation.
    Were we watching the same show? What I heard was her adding her voice to the people who like to go on and on about what an obese nation the U.S. is.

Edit after reading more responses. So, on the same show, she badmouths the U.S. and it's inherent obesity, and then badmouths those who undereat as well.

Opinionated much?

Sorry, I don't like her. Never really have.
    Last edited by Fierce Critter; 09-20-2009 at 10:28 PM.

+ Reply to Thread