+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PR Designers Make an Inauguration gown

PR Designers Make an Inauguration gown

Some of our favorite Project Runway designers were asked to share their vision as to what our new First Lady should wear to the Inaugural Ball. Here are their takes on it:

The Ball Gown Challenge - The Daily Beast
    CYA

Re: PR Designers Make an Inauguration gown

I like Rami and Michael Knight though theirs might be too gimmicky with the colors, Malan and Alison looks pretty too.

All those gowns with the flags on them? Crass. The only ones I thought were classy enough were Malan's (although what's with using burlap?) and LeAnne's. Some of those gowns - and not just Chris March's - look like they were made for a drag queen.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Chris March rocks my world.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

What was the challenge about? Did it include having to use burlap?

According to the article that appeared just below the slide show, the dress was to be made out of burlap, the american flag, and Laura Bush's inaugural gown.

Quote Originally Posted by brierpatch;3231696;
    According to the article that appeared just below the slide show, the dress was to be made out of burlap, the american flag, and Laura Bush's inaugural gown.
    Yes, you're right.
    What should America's new Jackie O. wear to the Inaugural Ball? We asked our favorite Project Runway designers to dream up the answer.

With the race finally decided, and the Obamas packing for Washington, there’s just one pressing question left on the national agenda: What should Michelle wear to the Inaugural Ball?

To help dream up the answer for America’s new fashion-forward first lady, we enlisted some of our favorite Project Runway designers to create Inaugural Ball gowns at once stylish, patriotic—and appropriately thrifty for a recession. But in keeping with the show’s premise—where only low cost materials are provided—they didn’t get to skip off to Mood to buy their fabric. For this challenge, they were only allowed to use Laura Bush’s 2005 Inaugural Ball dress, to be chopped up and repurposed, à la Pretty in Pink, an American flag, burlap sacks, and $10 worth of trims of their choosing. When the designers were given their challenge, no First Lady had been determined yet so the dresses were designed with both Michelle and Cindy in mind.
    CYA

It turns out the joke is mostly on Tina Brown...Jay McCarroll's sketch was done by the wrong Jay!

Project Runway Inaugural Sketch a Hoax
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

That story is too funny.
    CYA

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3232650;
    It turns out the joke is mostly on Tina Brown...Jay McCarroll's sketch was done by the wrong Jay!

Project Runway Inaugural Sketch a Hoax
    OT re your avatar. On Ellen Monday she put up the photo of Heidi in full costume with all six arms. Heidi said it took hours to match the makeup with the blue in the costume. She also said she had more fun gluing a fake beard on Seal's chin. She loves Halloween.

ETA: This whole design a gown thing while clever over cocktails really bit the dust, didn't it?
    Last edited by Arielflies; 11-12-2008 at 10:08 AM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast