+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Week 9 Creations - "Avant Garde" Zodiac Challenge

Re: Week 9 Creations - "Avant Garde" Zodiac Challenge

I think this was a huge disappointment. It really showed the limitations of this season's crop of designers.

I did not like Jerell's design, but the more I look at it, the more I can appreciate the construction of the skirt. But I am still not wowed.

Korto's was beautiful and did represent Aquarius, but I do think that it could have been taken even further.

Leanne's was interesting in the structure of the design. But I wasn't blown away.

Joe's looked great on the runway, not so much in the picture on here. I was surprised with this coming from him.

Kenley's was just crazy. It looked a doll come to life as a human. Those balloon sleeves weren't avant garde, they were ugly! I think her ego is getting in the way. She needs to come back to planet earth.

If the judges did not kick Blayne off for that unbelievable piece of garbage he sent down the runway, then I don't know when they would ever have done it. The less said about that thing, the better.

Terri got kicked off for her attitude and for a tacky, cheap design. She turned on Keith and tried to blame it on him, but the judges were smart enough to see through it. She wanted to be a one woman team and she has to take responsibility. Keith is not the most appealing person, but he did make an honest effort to try and work with her.

Suede got lucky this time, but he won't be around long. He hasn't done anything even remotely interesting in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock;3195577;
    What exactly were the signs they were supposed to do? I only know Jerrell's (Sagittarius - a bit literal with the headdress ), and I can only guess Joe's as Pieces and either Joe or Korto as being Aquarius (and here only because they're both blue).
    I am pretty sure I have these right, but someone please correct me if I got something wrong:

Jerrell -- Sagittarius
    Korto -- Aquarius
    Joe -- Leo ...ETA Joe was actually Aries...I could have sworn he said something about Leo on the show...
    Suede -- Libra
    Kenley -- Aquarius
    Leanne -- Scorpio
    Blayne -- Libra
    Terri -- Leo

FORT Fogey

Joe was actually Aries, the fire sign, not the fish (though I agree it looked like one).

I loved Korto's, I thought the light and airy feel really was to show the Air sign, but with the water colors that are associated with the sign. I liked Leanne's too, but the rest were just awful to me.

Thanks NFL1 and ClosetRTWatcher. Joe's would've been very good as Pieces, but now that I know Aries is also the fire sign, it still works great. Both fit.

Looking at them again, Suede's Libra is better than Blayne's IMHO - if only because a. you can tell he incorporated scales in there (if only just) and b. it looks nicer.

Quite honestly - if I didn't read Blayne was doing Libra, I'd said he was doing a slightly twisted version of Taurus. Why? - The gladiator style main part (cream colored fabric and leather straps) and then several colors of other fabric (a flamenco dancer).

I still don't get Kenley's Aquarius - though a perfume bottle would work some here, given it's called "toilet water" in some countries.

And, is it just me - or is Jerrell's model actually finally HAPPY (at least somewhat) wearing the clothing he made?

Rumbelle - so many feels Little Sew&Sew's Avatar

Best part of the whole show:

seeing Daniel V again!

Other than that, the designs and the bickering between Terri & Keith made the whole thing a waste of time
    All magic comes with a price - Rumpelstiltskin

FORT Newbie

The back or Korto's dress was gorgeous! It really looked like waves of water. I loved it. And I want Jerrel's skirt. That was beautifully tailored. Kenley's overblown Gibson girl sleeves were just too much. Yuck. I liked Terry's. I think she was eliminated b/c of her inability to work w her partner.

Kay

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

Blayne gave us a repeat of the first week's challenge only this one was even less flattering. If it would have been only on design I really think Kenley would have been gone, but the judges were right, you have to be able to work with anyone to maintain a place in the business and Terri couldn't or wouldn't look beyond her dislike of Keith. I liked Terri's dress. I was kind of shocked that Jerrel won and looking at it now, I'm still surprised. To me Korto and Joe's designs were the best.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Quote Originally Posted by gracie;3196916;
    Blayne gave us a repeat of the first week's challenge only this one was even less flattering. If it would have been only on design I really think Kenley would have been gone, but the judges were right, you have to be able to work with anyone to maintain a place in the business and Terri couldn't or wouldn't look beyond her dislike of Keith. I liked Terri's dress. I was kind of shocked that Jerrel won and looking at it now, I'm still surprised. To me Korto and Joe's designs were the best.
    I agree that this was not only about design. If it was, either Kenley or Suede would have gone. I do think the judges take other things into consideration. No designer does a collection without help. You have to be able to work with others, in any profession. I did not like Terri's dress and she would have benefited enormously if she allowed Keith to have his point of view heard. But it wasn't the worst at all.

The only thing I can figure about Jerell's is that skirt. I hated the fabric, but it was very well constructed. I do think that Leanne, Korto and Joe had better overall designs. But this was the alumni's call.

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1;3195789;
    Joe was actually Aries, the fire sign, not the fish (though I agree it looked like one).

I loved Korto's, I thought the light and airy feel really was to show the Air sign, but with the water colors that are associated with the sign. I liked Leanne's too, but the rest were just awful to me.
    You could pick either your own or your partner's sign. Yes Joe was an Aries but went with his partner's sign.

I could not believe Terry's attitude toward Keith, she did everything she could to drive him away and then when she succeeded she made snippy comments about doing it better all by herself. Then to have the nerve to claim Keith deserted her during the judges panel was just too much. She shot herself in the foot and needed to go.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 09-13-2008 at 08:54 AM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fogey

Terry's dress had red and gold as it's prinary colors - very matronly and/or Christmas-y. It was supposed to be avant garde and it would been that had she let Keith put his two cents in. In any case, I agree with Nina that the taste level was tacky. But she'd be great in doing urban wear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast