+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Project Runway 6 (Lifetime) - News and Speculation

FORT Fogey

Re: Project Runway Season 6 (Lifetime) - News and Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3239421;
    The only place I've found PR Philippines is on YouTube. There are 13 eps, each broken into 5 parts.
    The clairity on the winners runway show is so poor you can barely see it. The episodes are pretty sharp. I would love to see the winners collection in better detail. Very cool idea of having transformer dresses.

Oh and impressive job on that map! I know where most of these places are because I have spent a lot of time in the city so it was very cool! Thanks.

Re: Project Runway Season 6 (Lifetime?) - News and Speculation

More legal blahblah:
    Court rejects Lifetime's 'Runway' bid
    Network had requested to move case out of N.Y.
    By DANIEL FRANKEL

A federal court has rejected Lifetime's bid to move the fight surrounding "Project Runway" out of a New York state court.

In September, a Gotham state court judge slapped an injunction on the hit reality series, preventing producer The Weinstein Co. from moving it from Bravo to Lifetime until matters were legally settled with Bravo parent NBC Universal.

In November, Lifetime filed copyright complaint against both NBC U and Weinstein Co. The move was intended to move the litigation to the federal court. But rather than consolidate matters, Tuesday's ruling by District Court Judge Richard J. Sullivan splits the litigation between state and federal jurisdictions.

Sullivan didn't throw out Lifetime's claim that it had purchased the exclusive copyrights to "Runway" fair and square for $160 million. But he remanded the original suit filed by NBC U back to the state court, stating that Lifetime's bid to change venue -- launched only after the state court had filed its injunction -- was "untimely."

In applying the injunction, the Gotham court ruled that NBC U had indeed presented merit to its claim that it had its "right of first refusal" violated when Weinstein pacted with Lifetime to move the series away from incumbent Bravo.

"NBC Universal is pleased that the federal court has rejected Lifetime's untimely procedural maneuvering to get NBC U's 'Project Runway' case out of state court, where it has always belonged and will now rightfully return," read an NBC U statement.

Whether on the federal or state level, Lifetime -- which had planned to bow season five of "Runway" in November -- now seems to be digging in for a lengthy tussle, having already refunded the money put down on the series by advertisers during last spring's upfront market.

"While we believe that NBC U's lawsuit should have remained in the federal court, we will press our copyright claims through our independent lawsuit against NBC U in the federal court, and if necessary, in the NBC U suit in New York State court," a Lifetime statement read. "We look forward to this entire matter being resolved in an expeditious manner and remain hopeful that, in the end, Lifetime will be home to 'Project Runway.'"
    And some analysis:
    Advertisers to ‘Project Runway’: “Auf Wiedersehen”
    By Rohin Guha
    December 22, 2008

This may just be the final diamond-studded nail on the gilded coffin that's become Project Runway. Advertisers have withdrawn their money from the series' next run, which remains mired in lawsuits. And with waning advertising dollars across the board, Lifetime is trying all sorts of last-ditch attempts at keeping as much of that purported Runway cash in-tact. And with fare like this and this, both harder sells to advertisers than those dubious Runway spin-offs. But let's assume that Lifetime miraculously succeeds and this mess gets untangled sometime in early 2009.

By then, Bravo’s alternative will be up and sputtering, and may be the shinier bauble of the two. Lovable loudmouths Nina Garcia, Tim Gunn and Michael Kors will have moved on with their respective careers. This in turn will allow lesser-known industry stalwarts the chance to step in and counsel budding designers, thereby turning fashion TV on its ear with new catchphrases. But I’m primarily concerned with Heidi Klum. With her declining modelicious appeal (that’s not to say good looks, but youth), she’ll have to retire her Victoria’s Secret angel wings soon. So here’s hoping that she’s not reduced to singing Christmas carols again.
    No telling when this is going to let up. NBCU seems to have a real case against Weinstein, someone who doesn't like to lose, or even admit he lost even when he does. Meanwhile, there are 3 or 4 Season-6 finalists out there making collections, wondering if they will ever be seen on television...
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

Meanwhile, there are 3 or 4 Season-6 finalists out there making collections, wondering if they will ever be seen on television...
    That is the sad part in this whole mess. The contestants have been forced to continue with what they were doing without the recognition the show would have brought. The rent must be paid. Now that Lifetime has lost the advertisers from the Spring upfront sales (and refunded their buy ins) it will be hard in the new economy to get them back for next summer or fall or whenever, if ever. Is this then the true death knell for PR as we came to love it?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

They will find new advertisers, or maybe some of the old ones will come back anyway. But I guess it will depend on which network the show lands on.

If NBCU somehow gets the show, they might as well put the show on the NBC network. If they're willing to give an hour every night to Jay Leno, they can certainly spare an hour a week for PR. It can't do any worse than what they have now. They have nothing to lose at this point.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Bravo's doing a marathon today of season 4 until midnight.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3257222;
    More legal blahblah:

No telling when this is going to let up. NBCU seems to have a real case against Weinstein, someone who doesn't like to lose, or even admit he lost even when he does.
    ITA, MFW. Although this is taking--and probably will continue to take--forever to wind it's way through the courts it seems evident that NBCU contractually had the right of first refusal for new seasons and weren't allowed to exercise that option.

Regarding other posts/articles, though, I don't think PR is done forever due to this long delay--I think there is a core group of PR fanatics that will wait as long as is necessary for the next season and Michael and Nina aren't going to 'move on' to any place where they wouldn't want to continue to do the show.
    "Do you want to change the world?...Think Different, Be Different...Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish…Now, let’s go invent tomorrow.” – Steven Paul Jobs

More Tim Gunn optimism:
    Tim Gunn: Project Runway Will Shoot at Fashion Week

THE CUT -- 1/8/09 at 12:33 PM

Not much has happened with the Project Runway lawsuits lately. We still don't know which network the show will wind up on or when the sixth season, which was shot in L.A., will make airwaves. But the production team is plowing ahead as scheduled. Tim Gunn told us at the Geoffrey Beene YMA Fashion Scholarship Dinner at the Marriot Marquis last night that Runway is scheduled to film at Fashion Week on Friday, February 20. "I'm making my home visits to the finalists starting on Sunday," Gunn added. "It's an incredible season. It really is. And I just want people to see it. And I want the designers on the show to get the exposure."
    This means the finalists and their collections will be all over the internet before we ever see an episode. That will be weird...
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Premium Member

Geez it will be so spoiled by the time it airs, it might not be even worth watching. Who wants to know the ending first. Too bad for all involved.

FORT Fogey

I, actually, do not care if I learn who the finalists are before I see the show. I watch the show for the creativity, not the drama. I guess that most fans won't mind also.

They have their thinking caps on: a slight change to the finale runway show this year:
    The "Runway" season finale will tape Feb. 20 among the Bryant Park couture-ati, with one major change from past tapings, intended to conceal finalists' identities - not even audience members will know whose collections they're seeing paraded down the runway. The designers won't be introduced.

"The producers made that decision because we want to keep the finalists a secret for fans," said Emily Feingold, a spokeswoman for the Weinstein Co.

Full article here
    The rest of the article is just a recap of the whole lawsuit drama. But the finale will be filmed at Fashion Week on Feb. 20th for sure.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread