+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Runway 6 (Lifetime) - News and Speculation

Re: Project Runway Season 6 (Lifetime) - News and Speculation

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3225451;
    FH was a show that aired on BBC before Project Runway was born, which I find interesting. Bravo/NBC is apparently acquiring the license to do an American version. According to Gawker, they even put up an ad on Craigslist looking for designers to audition, but the ad has since been pulled. I don't know if the show was very popular in the UK, because it didn't last and I can't find much info on it other than this link. It seems incredibly similar to PR.

I thought I had seen a Casting Call page on the Bravo site a couple of days ago too, but I can't find it now. I wonder if the lawyers are now getting mixed up in this...
    Ah. A cross between PR and AI-type show, it seems. Viewers decide who goes home and only one shows in the finale.

Wow, Bravo is throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks:
    Bravo sews up projects
    'Fashion Show' conducting casting calls

By DANIEL FRANKEL

While the ultimate fate of its hit "Project Runway" franchise has yet to be determined by a Manhattan court, Bravo is moving on by greenlighting another fashion-themed reality-competition skein and announcing a development slate of five fashion- and lifestyle-themed reality projects.

Produced by 3 Ball Prods. ("The Biggest Loser," "Beauty and the Geek"), "The Fashion Show" (working title) is conducting November casting calls for contestants in Los Angeles, Miami, Chicago and New York.

Hosts, production staff and a production start date for the series have yet to be announced. Bravo exec VP and general manager Frances Berwick calls the skein a "complement to our successful fashion series 'Tim Gunn's Guide to Style' and 'The Rachel Zoe Project.'"

Meanwhile, the cabler has added five projects to its development slate, all under working-title status.

Hourlong weekly "Fashionality" will feature New York tastemakers conducting roundtable discussions and interviews on topics centering around pop culture and fashion. Project is produced by Embassy Row and Superb Entertainment, with Michael Davies, Meryl Poster and Michael Rourke as executive producers.

"Celebrity Sew-Off," which features well-knowns cutting and hemming their own clothes in a design competition, is produced by Lake Paradise Entertainment; Holly Wofford ("Shear Genius," "Supernanny") and Viki Cacciatore ("Survivor") exec produce.

Produced by Juma Entertainment, and exec produced by Bob Horowitz and Lewis Fenton, "Double Exposure" is a docu-style series that follows art and fashion photog Markus Klinko as he shoots his famous subjects.
    Full story here, including a show about polo players...huh?
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

FORT Fogey

Those shows sound interesting, though it seems overkill. But I'm glad they're veering towards fashion- and style-themed shows. I had high hopes for the Style network until they dropped Fashion Files and the like for shows like Clean House and Whose Wedding is It Anyway. I guess all the trouble that Harvey has caused has its upside.

Honestly, I just want PR6 to start up soon. But that's definitely not happening since Bravo succeeded in prolonging the premiere of the season. I feel bad for PR6's contestants. I bet they are aching to watch their season on TV, but it looks like it will take a long time for that to happen.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

FORT Fogey

Oh dear. Those new shows are not ringing any bells for me. Another Cinderella story is not needed. What Not to Wear and Tim Gunn have that covered. When they lost PR they lost the best show they had and anything less will not cut it. We will never know why Bravo lost this show either. It is all a bunch of finger pointing. sigh

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Another discouraging article. It appears that PR will be in limbo for some time to come.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/19/arts/television/19runway.html?_r=1

Legal Tangles of ‘Project Runway’ Keep It Frozen on the Catwalk

Published: November 18, 2008

LOS ANGELES — At a time when audiences are shrinking for almost every type of television program, it stands to reason that producers and network executives would do almost anything to keep on the air a series whose audience is actually growing.

Harvey Weinstein, above, of the Weinstein Company and Jeff Zucker of NBC Universal, below, are embroiled in a dispute over the series “Project Runway.”

Which makes it all the more perplexing that “Project Runway,” the popular reality competition in which aspiring fashion designers face off with their clothing creations, should be stuck in a legal quagmire that threatens to keep the show off the air indefinitely. In its first five seasons on the Bravo cable channel, “Project Runway” increased its average audience to 4 million viewers an episode from 1 million an episode, making the most recent season its biggest ever.

But while producers of the show have already shot the design competitions that will make up most of the series’s sixth season, those new episodes are unlikely to see the light of day for several months, according to people involved in the case.

“From what I know about courts, it could be well into the early spring before anything is decided,” said one lawyer involved, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to avoid further inflaming passions among the opposing parties.Barring an out-of-court settlement — and insiders say there are no such negotiations taking place — “Project Runway” seems unlikely to be back on the air for months at best.

The delay is the result of the continuing legal dispute between the Weinstein Company, which produces the series, and NBC Universal, the parent of Bravo. Early this year the Weinstein Company sold the rights to the series to Lifetime Networks for five years for what it says was some $200 million.

NBC Universal sued, saying it had a right of first refusal to keep the show on one of its channels. In September a New York State judge issued a preliminary injunction preventing Lifetime from promoting or broadcasting the series.

The case had been designated for a fast-track appeal in the New York courts, but last month Lifetime succeeded in moving the case from state to federal court, claiming that its copyright claims to the series made the dispute a federal matter. A federal judge in Manhattan is now in the process of deciding whether to uphold or overturn the state judge’s injunction or whether to return the case to the state level.

A Lifetime spokeswoman said the company “remains optimistic that when the dust settles, ‘Project Runway’ will be on Lifetime.” An NBC Universal spokeswoman, meanwhile, said that Lifetime’s effort to keep the case in federal court is “part of a ploy to shop for a different forum” after the state court ruled against it.

Bravo is all but certain to have lost “Project Runway.” According to court papers, Jeff Zucker, the chief executive of NBC Universal, acknowledged Mr. Weinstein’s desire to take the series elsewhere but continued to negotiate, saying he wanted the series for another NBC Universal property, perhaps including the NBC network. But there is also a chance that Bravo will beat “Project Runway” to the small screen with a competing show.

Last week Bravo completed a four-city casting tour for a new series tentatively titled “The Fashion Show,” whose winner will be chosen by viewers rather than a panel of fashion experts, as it is on “Project Runway.” Bravo also is developing another similarly themed series, tentatively titled “Celebrity Sew-Off.”

In May, after the Weinstein sale of the series to Lifetime, NBC signed a long-term deal with the production company Magical Elves, which oversaw production of the first five seasons of “Project Runway” for Bravo and which produces other Bravo reality-competition shows, including “Top Chef.”

As a result of that deal, the sixth season of “Project Runway” was produced by Bunim-Murray Productions, which has overseen “The Real World” and “Keeping Up With the Kardashians,” among other reality series.

The season finale of “Project Runway” typically takes place during New York Fashion Week, the twice-yearly series of runway shows in Bryant Park in Manhattan. The next round of those shows is scheduled for February, and a person involved in the production said that the producers of “Project Runway” were planning to shoot the finale at that time. Because each season of the series stretches out over 14 weeks, episodes of the new season could be broadcast before the final competition takes place.

NBC Universal’s competing series in development has led the Weinstein Company to assert that NBC Universal is illegally using the state court injunction as both a shield and a sword, delaying the premiere of a new season of “Project Runway” while it prepares its own fashion face-off.

If anything, the case makes clear that television, like much of what goes on in Hollywood, is a business built on relationships. And when those relationships go sour, all bets are off.

According to court papers, the relationship had grown particularly bitter between Mr. Weinstein and Lauren Zalaznick, the president of Bravo. New York State Judge Richard B. Lowe III, who issued the injunction, wrote in his decision that “Weinstein had a particular dislike for Lauren Zalaznick, the head of Bravo, whom he claimed made day-to-day production of ‘Project Runway’ difficult” by, among other things, reportedly interfering with the Weinstein Company’s efforts to secure product-integration advertisers for the series. Through a spokeswoman, Ms. Zalaznick declined to comment.

Mr. Zucker’s relationship with Mr. Weinstein is also the subject of commentary in the court papers. At a meeting in January 2007 between the two, Mr. Weinstein told Mr. Zucker: “You can only have in your life five true friends, and I consider you one of my five friends. And I’m telling you, I will not embarrass you.”

At least, that is the account according to NBC’s complaint, filed in April. When the Weinstein Company filed its reply to the lawsuit last month, it claimed that Mr. Weinstein told Mr. Zucker that a person “has about 15 friends in the business world” and that he considered Mr. Zucker to be “one of those friends.” The company denied, however, that Mr. Weinstein promised not to embarrass anyone.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Fogey

Thanks Arielflies. Disappointing.

FORT Fogey

Bummer! I was hoping for the new season to start soon. Anyway, I have been watching the other PR's in the meantime. Has anybody seen the PR Philippines' final? The designer who won had a futuristic theme. SPOILER ALERT!
    Click to see Spoiler:
    He had a model come out in a seemingly 50's frock which doesn't tie in with the space theme. Then two other models in tight fitting plain dresses come out just as the earlier model is about to exit. Then they all stop. The two latter models unzip the lower part of the former model's dress and divide it into two. Then the former model pulls up the bottom part of her dress and zips it on. One of the pieces from the former model's dress transforms into a skirt and the other piece transforms into a dress. Then all three come up front to reveal 3 new dresses. It was so HUSSEIN CHALAYAN!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by watts;3238416;
    Bummer! I was hoping for the new season to start soon. Anyway, I have been watching the other PR's in the meantime. Has anybody seen the PR Philippines' final? The designer who won had a futuristic theme. SPOILER ALERT!
    Click to see Spoiler:
    He had a model come out in a seemingly 50's frock which doesn't tie in with the space theme. Then two other models in tight fitting plain dresses come out just as the earlier model is about to exit. Then they all stop. The two latter models unzip the lower part of the former model's dress and divide it into two. Then the former model pulls up the bottom part of her dress and zips it on. One of the pieces from the former model's dress transforms into a skirt and the other piece transforms into a dress. Then all three come up front to reveal 3 new dresses. It was so HUSSEIN CHALAYAN!

Where have you been watching this?

The only place I've found PR Philippines is on YouTube. There are 13 eps, each broken into 5 parts.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread