+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Week 3 Creations - "New York at Night" Challenge

missing katarzyna. SpectralRaven's Avatar

Re: Week 3 Creations - "New York at Night" Challenge

Kelli, Leanne, and Kenley made my favorite dresses this week.
    why can't any of my antm favorites ever win?!

Quote Originally Posted by SpectralRaven;3153721;
    Kelli, Leanne, and Kenley made my favorite dresses this week.
    I was looking at Korto's black jumpsuit again and I thought that it was much too restrained and kind of boring. But I wonder if she got so freaked out after the criticism of her inside-out dress last week that she just dialed it way down. I hope she doesn't get too scared, because you still have to be willing to take some risks if you want to win this competition.

I also have to agree with the person who said that Daniel's designs look much better on the runway than in a photographs. I watched the rerun over the weekend and I noticed that Daniel's little gold dress looked so much better on the runway. I don't know why that is, but it's definitely true.

I decided that Stella's outfit was too tight. It made it look a little trashy.

Keith had a vision, but he didn't execute it. He should have used blacks and grays, like Sandra Bernhard suggested. Too much white. Also, I do think it looked like a sack on the model. Maybe if he had made it a little more fitted, it might have worked better. He definitely seems to feel that he has a point of view and something to say. Hopefully, he can do better this week.

The more I see of Leanne's, the more I think it should have won. There is something to be said for simplicity and beautiful design. I loved the colors and don't think she should have changed a thing.

Doing a lap before I commit to a location

My top 3:
    Leanne (I loved that, wish this week's design would have been sold on Bluefly, she would have had the win for sure, they wouldn't have picked Kenley's odd outfit for that)
    Terri (I don't get the hate on this, I loved it, was put off by Sandra's comments though)
    Kelli (really cool outfit, why wasn't she in the top 3? Oh, yes, Kenley's costume won.)

Other top picks:
    Jerrell (a real wow! but costumey) and
    Korto (a little boring, but definitely "night on the town")

Middle of the road:
    Joe, Stella, Daniel and
    Keith (I didn't think it was THAT bad, though I agree it should have had a lot more gray and black)

Bottom:
    Suede (I don't care if that popped-out neckline plunging to the stomach was intentional, could does not mean should, it was awful)
    Kenley (Bah! Scarlett O'Hara curtain dress meets Dynasty, I really liked her the prior weeks, though)
    Jennifer (horrible, I didn't get "matronly" so much as grade-school sewing project)
    Emily and Blayne both made an awful dress similar to the other's, but I would have sent home Blayne's.
    Could does not mean should

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaBelle27;3154860;
    My top 3:
    Leanne (I loved that, wish this week's design would have been sold on Bluefly, she would have had the win for sure, they wouldn't have picked Kenley's odd outfit for that)
    Terri (I don't get the hate on this, I loved it, was put off by Sandra's comments though)
    Kelli (really cool outfit, why wasn't she in the top 3? Oh, yes, Kenley's costume won.)

Other top picks:
    Jerrell (a real wow! but costumey) and
    Korto (a little boring, but definitely "night on the town")

Middle of the road:
    Joe, Stella, Daniel and
    Keith (I didn't think it was THAT bad, though I agree it should have had a lot more gray and black)

Bottom:
    Suede (I don't care if that popped-out neckline plunging to the stomach was intentional, could does not mean should, it was awful)
    Kenley (Bah! Scarlett O'Hara curtain dress meets Dynasty, I really liked her the prior weeks, though)
    Jennifer (horrible, I didn't get "matronly" so much as grade-school sewing project)
    Emily and Blayne both made an awful dress similar to the other's, but I would have sent home Blayne's.
    I actually loved Terri's outfit a lot. I kind of thought she was one to watch and last week, she did not disappoint. I think Sandra was trying to compliment her, but the thing about being followed and taking out a knife and threatening to cut someone's throat, probably was not the best way to do it.
    I know that New Yorkers are tough and paranoid, but that was kind of ridiculous. However, she did mean it as a compliment. Sandra clearly liked Terri's design best and did not seem too fond of Kenley's.

I love Kenley, but the more I see of that outfit, the more I dislike it. I just don't get why the judges thought it should win.

The only one I have to really disagree with is Kelli. I just did not get that outfit at all. The piecey, shredded top is not my thing. I loved her first outfit, but have not really liked the last two. However, she is on my list as one to watch here.

After thinking about it, I think they left Jennifer in to create some monstrocity for the athletic Olympic challenge coming, to give people something to talk about.

FORT Newbie

The biggest reason why Kenley snagged the win was because she managed to work in current trends into her design (google Balenciaga's Spring '08 collection to get an idea.) If she had sent that down the runway in previous seasons, I think at the very least she would've been called out for using such a thoroughly unattractive print. Kenley was admittedly pretty smart in trying to play up to the judges in this way, by not only working in current trends but also adding something else that could make the design truly her own (the purple ombre tulle).

Emily's and Blayne's outfits ... ugh ... why Blayne wasn't called out on his when it was essentially the same concept as Emily's, I'll never know. They look like outfits the Mandrell sisters would have worn on their variety show. And if anything, Blayne's execution was even worse than Emily's. Like a gay pride float gone way wrong ...

And I love Terri, I really do ... but I don't get why the judges wet themselves over her dress-over-pants shtick when they bashed Kara Saun out for the same thing many moons ago? Like Kenley's, I thought her choice of print was pretty unattractive ... but since I like Terri, I can't argue too much with seeing her FINALLY get some recognition from the judges. (Props also to her model, who worked the crap outta that outfit.)

Stella's also really lucky that there were crappier outfits than hers on the runway that night. Tight pants and a 'leatha' vest ... Yuck. No innovation, no surprise, just a humdrum, already-seen-it, just-bordering-trashy getup that's more appropriate for a bartender than a model. I'm oddly curious, though, to see what she turns out for the Olympic challenge. I'm thinkin' chaps with a side of 'entirely too much tootie?'

--SC

When the show started off with Keith and Blayne's creations, it was horrible. Both of those outfits were bad.

I liked Suede's and Kenley's, althought Suede's was a bit safe so I agree with the judges decision. As for Stella's it seemed she wasn't inspired by the night life, she knew from the beginning she wanted to make leather pants and looked for a picture that would allow to inspire her to do so. Not exactly the point of the challenge. While her outfit was well made, it wasn't innovative at all, it was a pair of pants and a vest.

So far I am not impressed with this group, I'm hoping they will improve this week, because most of the designs have not been impressive.

By looking these pics.I can't lie to myself that Emily's stands out to me.the contrast between black and bright color is interesting.Her out makes me seriously doubt that if the juges have looked at their "inspiration" pics to see how the designers carried them into the final looks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123