+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: 7/30 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Re: 7/30 Show Discussion Thread **SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by busilis32;3150418;
    Suede just sounds like that loser dentist Will dated in an episode of Will & Grace. And what's up with Stella? I don't mind her leatha obsession, but what a whiner! Also, I don't know if it has been mentioned, but she looks like Cher's grandma.
    Haha, true about the dentist! Now he just needs to creepily linger in doorways and announce himself.

I think that Leanne gets my most improved vote this week. I loved her design even when it was just the skirt on the model form. I loved that she kept the top simple. Yes, she listened to Tim! Good for her. That was my personal favorite. It's great to see her step it up after last week's dismal showing.

I loved Terri's design. I was hoping she would really break out and get some recognition. I happen to think she has some real talent. I loved the edginess and her graffiti inspiration and the backless part was done well, not over the top or tacky. I would have loved to see her win.

I had the same problem with Kenley's dress that I had last week with Suede's. I could see the creative thought in the design, but it wasn't something anyone could really wear. I guess that's not the judges top priority here. I happen to think Kenley should have won last week and I found myself also wondering if the judges pulled an Oscar thing where they rewarded her for last week's design. I am so not a fan of bubble dresses. But I have to say that this girl definitely has something. I like her style and her confidence and she is definitely one to watch.

Keith's was just ugly. Sorry, but I didn't feel it at all. Maybe if he cinched the waist like someone here said, but honestly it would still look like pieces of toilet paper. It just did not work at all. He could have been in the bottom two, but I do think Emily and Jennifer belonged there. I would like to see Keith stay on, because I think he does have talent, but this was a big step backward for me.

Emily made the mistake of not listening to Tim. You would think that they would know enough to not disregard what he says. That ruffle was hideous. I thought she was gone when Nina said - no comment. Now, that's bad if Nina has nothing to say. It's the kiss of death.

I would have been okay if Jennifer had gone. Her dress was not only matronly, I mean my grandmother would not have worn that dress and I am middle aged, so you can guess how long ago that is, but it was also poorly made. Even the judges pointed out the poor workmanship at the hem. Last week it was poor fitting and sewing that got Wesley kicked off, not a bad design. But this week it was a bad design and not poor workmanship. Go figure with these judges.

Blayne got a little lucky with his design. I really think he has a taste issue. But I do have to say that the colors were better and the placement was more flattering. However, I still did not like it and I do think he kind of dodged a bullet. So far he hasn't done anything that is even remotely appealing to me.

I have decided to hit the mute button on my remote wheneve Suede speaks. It's better than screaming at the TV. It's beyond bizarre and not at all entertaining.

Stella is a one-note to me. If she thinks she can get by with that biker chick leatha thing, well she is in for a surprise. She is also annoying with her constant whining. I thought it was funny when she was hammering those grommets or whatever, and driving everyone else crazy. So she said if you don't like it, get the f--- out of here. Charming.

Quote Originally Posted by Nativenewyorker;3150465;
    I think that Leanne gets my most improved vote this week. I loved her design even when it was just the skirt on the model form. I loved that she kept the top simple. Yes, she listened to Tim! Good for her. That was my personal favorite. It's great to see her step it up after last week's dismal showing.
    I totally agree. Leanne was definitely the most improved this week. In fact, I was looking for her to win this week and was a bit surprised when she didn't. That dress was gorgeous.

I loved Terri's design. I was hoping she would really break out and get some recognition. I happen to think she has some real talent. I loved the edginess and her graffiti inspiration and the backless part was done well, not over the top or tacky. I would have loved to see her win.
    I didn't think she'd win, but I think she earned her place in the Top 3.

I had the same problem with Kenley's dress that I had last week with Suede's. I could see the creative thought in the design, but it wasn't something anyone could really wear. I guess that's not the judges top priority here. I happen to think Kenley should have won last week and I found myself also wondering if the judges pulled an Oscar thing where they rewarded her for last week's design. I am so not a fan of bubble dresses. But I have to say that this girl definitely has something. I like her style and her confidence and she is definitely one to watch.
    Completely agree...

Keith's was just ugly. Sorry, but I didn't feel it at all. Maybe if he cinched the waist like someone here said, but honestly it would still look like pieces of toilet paper. It just did not work at all. He could have been in the bottom two, but I do think Emily and Jennifer belonged there. I would like to see Keith stay on, because I think he does have talent, but this was a big step backward for me.
    For me, the problem with Keith's dress was, as someone said on the show (Sandra Bernhard, maybe?), if he was trying to emulate a magazine or newspaper, he should have used greys and blacks, etc. I think there was just too much white, and the amount of white overpowered the dress. If he had used less white and more of other colors, I think it would have come across better.

Emily made the mistake of not listening to Tim. You would think that they would know enough to not disregard what he says. That ruffle was hideous. I thought she was gone when Nina said - no comment. Now, that's bad if Nina has nothing to say. It's the kiss of death.

I would have been okay if Jennifer had gone. Her dress was not only matronly, I mean my grandmother would not have worn that dress and I am middle aged, so you can guess how long ago that is, but it was also poorly made. Even the judges pointed out the poor workmanship at the hem. Last week it was poor fitting and sewing that got Wesley kicked off, not a bad design. But this week it was a bad design and not poor workmanship. Go figure with these judges.
    I think Emily and Jennifer were the correct choices for the Bottom 2, but I think the wrong person went home. While Emily's dress this week was a mess, I think she has potential. All of Jennifer's stuff comes across as matronly and boring to me. Plus, Emily has something else that Jennifer doesn't...a personality.

Blayne got a little lucky with his design. I really think he has a taste issue. But I do have to say that the colors were better and the placement was more flattering. However, I still did not like it and I do think he kind of dodged a bullet. So far he hasn't done anything that is even remotely appealing to me.
    I agree completely. IMO, Blayne should have joined Emily and Jennifer in the Bottom 3 instead of Keith. I just do NOT understand how he's made it even this far. TPTB must be keeping him around for the drama factor...

I have decided to hit the mute button on my remote wheneve Suede speaks. It's better than screaming at the TV. It's beyond bizarre and not at all entertaining.
    I'll have to try the mute button next week! This whole talking-in-the-third-person about yourself thing that Suede does is cheesy and has already become more than annoying. It got really old really fast, Suede. Get over yourself.

Stella is a one-note to me. If she thinks she can get by with that biker chick leatha thing, well she is in for a surprise. She is also annoying with her constant whining. I thought it was funny when she was hammering those grommets or whatever, and driving everyone else crazy. So she said if you don't like it, get the f--- out of here. Charming.
    I agree. I think we're gonna see variations on the same theme from week to week for as long as she's on the show. I'd love to see what she'd do with an evening gown or haute couture challenge...

Thank you lobeck for bringing over the designs. It helps to look at them for comments rather than from my poor memory.

Kenley: She maintained her '40s Hollywood glam sensibility with the bodice of her dress. The puffed shoulder tight sleeves and sleek bodice say Joan Crawford to me. I've been thinking about the purple netting and can see where it does balance the dress. If she had left it off, the skirt would have been straight with an exaggerated asymetrical petal on the right side. That would have been okay for supper club, but the netting takes it to the dance club. However, the material and high neckline would have this girl sitting on the sidelines sweating; dancing would equal fainting. In the photo the shoes are too green.

Keith: Without the white, this concept would have captured his inspiration so much better. Time contraints probably had him reaching for the muslin rather than 5" of this and 5" of that. I really would like to see what he could have done with more time to think, design and create.

Korto: She also kept her sensibility with the broad collar that mimicked an african collar piece. I liked it for its simplicity and clean lines. This two piece looks as though it would move easily on a dance floor yet look elegant at a night club.

Blayne: Maybe I would have liked it better if the pink had been at the top and the blue at the bottom (without the giant bow effect). Frankly, I could see the person wearing this dress constantly scratching at the tickle on her left leg caused by the pointed hem.

Terri: I really like this outfit. The fabric had the look of streaming lights that Emily wanted and I loved the surprise of the backless blouse. The pants have a 70's flare bottom that would be very comfortable for dancing, yet the top has a sophistication that could take her uptown as well.

Daniel: The gold metallic caught his inspiration, but the huge bunching at the waist was just weird. Also...is that a black belt that went under the gold mess or a bit of the dress showing through? If it was a belt, he should have cinched it tighter.

Leanne: I loved this dress for its simple elegance. It caught her inspiration of the raised ridge grate beautifully with the back of fabric scalloped ruffle in the skirt. That the top was a separate was a bonus as it could be worn with other bottoms. My problem with the look was the shoes. They brought the dress from wonderfully elegant to matronly. I wonder why she didn't choose a strappy spiked sandal instead?

Kelli: I thought the top to the outfit was a nice interpretation of a shredded look. She used the model's skin as the off-set color to the black and I thought that worked very well. Was the tight skirt leather or satin...it's hard to tell in the photo. She chose her shoes well. They worked perfect with this dress.

Jerrel: The color combination picked up his interpretation very well. I like that he used only two colors and that the lighter color served as the train. I, too, was reminded of the "rain gutter" dress, but this one used a heavier material. The bodice also picked up on the '40s supper club theme, and his model wore the shoes that should have gone on Leanne's model.

Stella: How many shades of letha! are there, anyway? I thought this outfit was so generic from the shiny halter top to the laced up closure bottom.

Joe: The top picks up his inspiration perfectly, though if not for the bit of net train off the back, it would have also been too generic. His shoes also were a good match for the dress.

Suede: Oh, for the love of...Suede. Here he used a puckery satin with a metallic belt and some sort of studding on the bodice. Once again I'm picking up a mid-century vibe from this design: the high, wide collar, the cinched waist and the flare skirt. I see this person lounging in a 1950 house on low furniture. The skirt is a little long for the mid-calf black boots. Really, when I look at the picture, the first thing I notice are the boots.

Jennifer: To me this looked like a babydoll dress gone bad. Maybe that is her "Dali" influence even more than the strips of cloth on the sleeve hem. The two bands of white, though circling the dress, do not remind me of a clock, but the dress would have been slightly more interesting if she had left the bottom band as the bottom of the dress.

Emily: Emily shows so much personal style in what she's been wearing on the show, that I expected more from her. *sigh* Strip off the hideous ruffles and you have a cute little black dress with a banded waist. From there maybe she could have added strips (not ruffled) layers of colored cloth in the direction of the shoulder (left to right) to the waist and then swung them back in the the other direction for the skirt. This would have captured her inspiration of light swirls without them looking like a badly pinned giant corsage. I did like the shoes, though.

ETA: I wonder if Mood sells fabric paint. That would have been a solution to Emily's swirling pattern problem. If she cut out and fitted the basic dress first then laid out the pieces, she could have applied neon toned fabric paint which could have dried before she needed to sew the pieces together. Just a thought. But, there is probably a restriction to the use of cloth (unless it is lettuce.)
    Last edited by Arielflies; 07-31-2008 at 12:34 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies;3150521;
    Thank you lobeck for bringing over the designs. It helps to look at them for comments rather than from my poor memory.

Kenley: She maintained her '40s Hollywood glam sensibility with the bodice of her dress. The puffed shoulder tight sleeves and sleek bodice say Joan Crawford to me. I've been thinking about the purple netting and can see where it does balance the dress. If she had left it off, the skirt would have been straight with an exaggerated asymetrical petal on the right side. That would have been okay for supper club, but the netting takes it to the dance club. However, the material and high neckline would have this girl sitting on the sidelines sweating; dancing would equal fainting. In the photo the shoes are too green.

Keith: Without the white, this concept would have captured his inspiration so much better. Time contraints probably had him reaching for the muslin rather than 5" of this and 5" of that. I really would like to see what he could have done with more time to think, design and create.
    Korto: She also kept her sensibility with the broad collar that mimicked an african collar piece. I liked it for its simplicity and clean lines. This two piece looks as though it would move easily on a dance floor yet look elegant at a night club.
    Blayne: Maybe I would have liked it better if the pink had been at the top and the blue at the bottom (without the giant bow effect). Frankly, I could see the person wearing this dress constantly scratching at the tickle on her left leg caused by the pointed hem.

Terri: I really like this outfit. The fabric had the look of streaming lights that Emily wanted and I loved the surprise of the backless blouse. The pants have a 70's flare bottom that would be very comfortable for dancing, yet the top has a sophistication that could take her uptown as well.

Daniel: The gold metallic caught his inspiration, but the huge bunching at the waist was just weird. Also...is that a black belt that went under the gold mess or a bit of the dress showing through? If it was a belt, he should have cinched it tighter.
    Leanne: I loved this dress for its simple elegance. It caught her inspiration of the raised ridge grate beautifully with the back of fabric scalloped ruffle in the skirt. That the top was a separate was a bonus as it could be worn with other bottoms. My problem with the look was the shoes. They brought the dress from wonderfully elegant to matronly. I wonder why she didn't choose a strappy spiked sandal instead?

Kelli: I thought the top to the outfit was a nice interpretation of a shredded look. She used the model's skin as the off-set color to the black and I thought that worked very well. Was the tight skirt leather or satin...it's hard to tell in the photo. She chose her shoes well. They worked perfect with this dress.
    Jerrel: The color combination picked up his interpretation very well. I like that he used only two colors and that the lighter color served as the train. I, too, was reminded of the "rain gutter" dress, but this one used a heavier material. The bodice also picked up on the '40s supper club theme, and his model wore the shoes that should have gone on Leanne's model.

Stella: How many shades of letha! are there, anyway? I thought this outfit was so generic from the shiny halter top to the laced up closure bottom.

Joe: The top picks up his inspiration perfectly, though if not for the bit of net train off the back, it would have also been too generic. His shoes also were a good match for the dress.
    Suede: Oh, for the love of...Suede. Here he used a puckery satin with a metallic belt and some sort of studding on the bodice. Once again I'm picking up a mid-century vibe from this design: the high, wide collar, the cinched waist and the flare skirt. I see this person lounging in a 1950 house on low furniture. The skirt is a little long for the mid-calf black boots. Really, when I look at the picture, the first thing I notice are the boots.

Jennifer: To me this looked like a babydoll dress gone bad. Maybe that is her "Dali" influence even more than the strips of cloth on the sleeve hem. The two bands of white, though circling the dress, do not remind me of a clock, but the dress would have been slightly more interesting if she had left the bottom band as the bottom of the dress.

Emily: Emily shows so much personal style in what she's been wearing on the show, that I expected more from her. *sigh* Strip off the hideous ruffles and you have a cute little black dress with a banded waist. From there maybe she could have added strips (not ruffled) layers of colored cloth in the direction of the shoulder (left to right) to the waist and then swung them back in the the other direction for the skirt. This would have captured her inspiration of light swirls without them looking like a badly pinned giant corsage. I did like the shoes, though.

ETA: I wonder if Mood sells fabric paint. That would have been a solution to Emily's swirling pattern problem. If she cut out and fitted the basic dress first then laid out the pieces, she could have applied neon toned fabric paint which could have dried before she needed to sew the pieces together. Just a thought. But, there is probably a restriction to the use of cloth (unless it is lettuce.)

For Keith, I think that he should have used other colors besides white, as Sarah Bernhard and others here have suggested. I do not think time constraints should have been an issue here. They were given plenty of time. Maybe having to fit a different model cost him some time. But I am glad that he is still here, because I think he has talent and would like to see more of his designs.

I was not impressed by Korto's black jumpsuit. I thought it was uninspired and kind of boring. However, it was a big improvement over last week's inside out disaster.

Daniel's was a bit of a disappointment. He is an early favorite of him, since his blue dixie cup debut design. I did not like the shape of this dress and was also puzzled by the waist and that black belt or whatever. It was confusing and not very flattering. But I still think he is one to watch.

Kelli's was somewhat out there for me. It seemed a little crazy, especially the top. I guess I don't like the shredded look. I haven't loved what she has done since week one, but I do think she has talent.

Jerell has not impressed me that much so far. I guess this gown is his best effort. He did go glam and there was a lot of effort and work in this design. I thought the train was a bit overdone. I will try to be neutral and watch to see if he can win me over.

Joe has really been way under the radar here. He is good, but not stepping up and really presenting anything outstanding. I have liked his designs, but I think the "wow" factor is missing. I liked his dress and thought the shape and design was quite nice. I would like to see him get out of his comfort zone and do something that will get the judges attention.

I think this challenge should have been the first one. This is where we get to see who these designers really are. They had complete freedom with design and fabric and more than enough time to show us what they are about. For the first time I can see that there is some real potential. I look forward to next week to see what happens.

I really liked Kelli's dress but I could understand why some might not, it sort of borders on the line of looking like something out of the Bob Mackie collection. But I thought it was interesting..cool.

Jennifer! Somebody put her out of her misery with her "surrealism." There is nothing exciting about Jennifer or her designs, boring and matronly, Heidi got it right. Should have been sent home, there is nothing promising about her designs, nothing unexpected, we can all expect more insipid designs from Yawnnifer.

Kenley's design was alright, but I wasn't really impressed. I liked the cut but whoever said it looked a little like Ft. Lauderdale lawn chair chic was right.

Emily I think should have at least outlasted Jennifer, however I think Emily has no vision as a designer she's one of those people who thinks she's oh so edgy and creative because she has asymmetrical bangs. ha The dress she designed this week looked like a simple black dress with a big corsage on it, La Gunn was right on the money.

Blayne, ugh bright colors randomly put together don't signify an interesting design, its what you do with the colors. Holla atcha boy!

Leanne, really impressed me this week. Her skirt was fabulous.

Stella! Letha, I'm sooooo into letha. Ughh I'll say it again this woman is clueless on so many levels. Her pants and top looked like something out of hot topic, not cute.
    It's easy to be miserable. Being happy is tougher - and cooler.
    thom yorke

I find that the more I look at the designs, the more I get a better feeling about them.

Looking at Kenley's dress, the problem I have is that pink bubble skirt. I think she could have made it less bulky, more fitted. Of course, then it would not have been a bubble dress, but I think it would have looked more balanced. I am liking it less and less. I do not think she should have won. I really wish the judges would pick a dress that normal human beings can wear.

I think Leanne should have won, with Terri a close second. Leanne's dress is just simply stunning. The skirt is genius and I love the fact that it looks like a dress, but is actually two separate pieces. She has gotten my attention, for sure.

I am also more convinced than ever that Jennifer should have gone home. Emily is no great loss. I don't think she would have had much to offer. But Jennifer does not seem to have any personality and her designs are blah, if not downright ugly. I hated last week's grey and orange thing. The judges should try to be consistent. Jennifer's was not only old and completely unattractive, did not in any way convey her inspiration of the clock and was also very poorly made. That makes her the one who goes, in my book.

I was completely underwhelmed with Suede's creation this week. I just didn't get it. For someone who has such a grandiose vision of himself that he has to speak in the third person, well, I am really not that impressed.

I do think that the judges are keeping Blayne for the comic relief, if you can call it that. I still don't like that thing he created. And I totally did not understand his comments when he was staring at Kenley. What did he mean when he kept saying that he wants to "eat" her? At least she had the good sense to ignore him.

I didn't really care for the dress that won. Too 80's. I liked Joe's dress. I don't know what it is with this season but so far I am not rooting for any of the designers. Blayne is just so annoying, I think all that tanning has fried his brain or he needs to cut down on the weed and quit making up cutesy words, ick. Suede needs to stop talking in the third person. Stella, who someone said looks like Cher's grandmother, is always whining and bitching. I'm so over these three, they can be auf'ed as soon as possible.
    And what's with the guest judges? Sandra Bernhard? oh fer...she's not a fashion icon like Natalie Portman, she is a comedienne and dresses like a dude. What would she know about fashion designing?
    Last edited by straycat80; 07-31-2008 at 08:27 PM.

Suede must have told someone that he is going to say Suede out the yin yang to get the maximum t.v. exposure while he can.

I think that for one episode everyone should talk in the third person then never do it again. Yes that includes Tim, Heidi, Nina and Michael Kors.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread