+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Project Runway in the Media

aga
    FORTified

Project Runway in the Media

Project Runway runs away to Lifetime

Popular reality show will set next season's fashion trends on new network; previous home, Bravo, is not pleased.

Cable's biggest reality hit has a new home. Project Runway, which has spent the last five years on the Bravo Network, will air its sixth season on the female-focused Lifetime Channel, the network and Runway producer The Weinstein Company announced today.

the rest of the article
    Last edited by aga; 04-07-2008 at 06:35 PM.
    "We all know that we're going to get beat tonight." - Melrose (ANTM Cycle 7) when Monique gets eliminated from the CoverGirl / Queen Latifah challenge.

"Hi pretty lady...and Tyra." - Heather (ANTM Cycle 9)

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Project Runway runs away to Lifetime. Bravo is not pleased.

And Heidi, Nina, and Michael are replaced by Dorothy, Blanche, and Rose.

Ugh. I know the production company will be the same, but it kind of makes you wonder if they'll tweak the tone to pander to the Lifetime, Television for Women audience.

I guess Lifetime has more penetration than Bravo? I don't know about that, but you have to wonder why they were shopping around.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Premium Member

am I wrong I thought Project Runway was going into season 5 not 6 am I off?

Let's see if this post goes through. When I tried it a few minutes ago, the whole website crashed. I didn't think I'd said anything that earth shattering!

What I said was, God, I hope they don't pander to the Lifetime "formula!" I really don't think they will, as the Weinstein Company has had a very successful franchise with their own formula-don't mess with success...

I read that the reason they were jumping to Lifetime was that Bravo didn't want to do some kind of a "bundle" deal for some of Weinstein's other shows, so he said no deal-no Project Runway. Bravo, (NBC-Universal, is suing.)

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;2902089;
    am I wrong I thought Project Runway was going into season 5 not 6 am I off?
    No, you're right. I'm hoping this whole article is just one big error, or a belated April Fools joke.

This just floors me. I also hope this doesn't mean we're going to get a watered down version of PR.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Unfortunately, it's not a joke. I read the news article on the MSNBC News website.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat;2902069;
    I guess Lifetime has more penetration than Bravo? I don't know about that, but you have to wonder why they were shopping around.
    While Bravo's penetration has been growing, Lifetime does have greater penetration. It is more of a tier one network. But I think more of the appeal to Lifetime would be being a show the network is really built around. PR WAS that for Bravo, but they've created so many shows off the concept that it was losing its franchise status.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2902801;
    While Bravo's penetration has been growing, Lifetime does have greater penetration.
    I'm sorry, I giggled at this sentence. I'm so immature!

OK, I'm a sad panda about this news. For me, PR and Bravo are inseparable as pop culture brands. PR on Lifetime, Television That Smells Like Old Lady? I don't think so.

Most of the articles say that Bravo would have lost PR even if NBC and the money-grubbing Weinsteins had reached an agreement. Maybe NBCU should have been spending more time trying to leverage Bravo's popularity to get it added to more cable systems, instead of sitting on their thumbs coming up with copycat shows, and trying to cram L&O reruns on all their channels 24 hours a day...maybe they wouldn't be in this pickle.

Lifetime can try to change its image all it wants, it will never live down its reputation for being the Victim TV-Movie network and the home of Golden Girls reruns. They need to enter a Network Protection Program and get a new name and identity.

I thought up one good one on another blog today, I'll share it here: Can you imagine if the S3 Moms challenge had originally aired on Lifetime? 2 weeks later it would have been a TV movie called "Why Am I Being Treated This Way: The Darlene Keyslar Story"!

I can't see Lifetime embracing the Santinos and Jeffreys that happen along PR's path. I hope they know what they're in for.

Way to ruin a good thing, Harvey.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

It's going to be weird seeing the ever classy Tim Gunn on Lifetime. Lifetime does not have the same level of programming (think unceasing reruns of "The Nanny," "The Golden Girls" and "Perils of Pauline" type movies. However, Bravo has steadily been losing a great deal of it's cachet lately with substantially less prestigious programming. Maybe this will be a wake-up call.
    Susan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast