+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Project Runway in the Media

Re: Project Runway runs away to Lifetime. Bravo is not pleased.

"This "half-and-half" thing sounds more and more like spin. Heidi just sold her NYC apartment, and she had some interesting words in her Forbes interview where they named her #78 on the Celebrity 100 List. They didn't include the stuff about moving to LA in the online version, but here are some interesting facts & figures":

Just read your post and link. How depressing and distressing this all is! I have this sinking feeling that PR is on it's way down the proverbial drain, and it's taking Tim Gunn with it. Damn that Weinstein! To quote the ancient proverb; "Avarice is the root of all evil." Apparently, Weinstein is a graduate of the Gordon Gecko School of Ethics.
    Susan

Real World producers to take over PR on Lifetime

Bunim-Murray set to walk 'Runway'
    'Real World' producer taking over reality show

By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER

Bunim-Murray is close to signing on as the new producers behind "Project Runway."

The "Real World" producer has been in talks with The Weinstein Co. for weeks about taking over the gig in time for the hit reality show's sixth season - and first on Lifetime.

Magical Elves, which originated the show for the Weinsteins (and their former Miramax label) at Bravo, recently sealed a production deal with NBC Universal (Daily Variety, May 5). Because of their commitment there, they won't be making the move to Lifetime (where the show bows in November).

Bunim-Murray is no stranger to Lifetime, having recently produced "America's Psychic Challenge" for the cabler. Company's other recent credits include E!'s "Keeping Up with the Kardashians" and "Living Lohan." It also produces "Bad Girls Club" for Oxygen.

In choosing Bunim-Murray to take over the franchise, Weinstein Co. and Lifetime went with a company that knows the reality space well - having produced 21 seasons of "The Real World." In the competition space, its credits include the music shows "Making the Band" and "Born to Diva."

Bunim-Murray also recently produced the doc "Autism: The Musical" for HBO.

Beyond the production company shift, "Project Runway" already promises to look dramatically different on Lifetime - which shelled out $150 to snag the show - as it's shifting production from New York to Los Angeles. The faces aren't changing, however: Host Heidi Klum, mentor Tim Gunn and judges Michael Kors and Nina Garcia are all signed to return.

As for Magical Elves, the company may not be involved in Lifetime's version of "Runway," but they're still collaborating with the femme-centric net, where their one-hour pilot "Arranged Marriage" is in development.

"Project Runway's" fifth and final season on Bravo, set to air this summer, will be the last under the auspices of Magical Elves.

The producer shift reps the latest twist in the "Runway" saga, which came to light in April after Lifetime announced its deal with Weinstein for the show. NBC U sued Weinstein, arguing that its right of first refusal to keep the skein on Bravo was violated.
    HEIDI:
    "This is the true story--"

TIM GUNN:
    True story!

HEIDI:
    --of 15 fashion designers--

MARLA:
    I can do it if you tell me how!

HEIDI:
    --picked to live in a luxurious Los Angeles apartment building--

CHRISTIAN:
    I sleep on the floor at home!

HEIDI:
    --and compete in design challenges and have their lives taped--

JAY:
    I didn't steal the bitch's dye!

HEIDI:
    --to find out what happens--

(CHLOE cries when hearing about the 13th look)

HEIDI:
    --when people stop being polite--

ANGELA:
    Will you shut up? SHUT UP!

JEFFREY:
    How about I couture your face?

HEIDI:
    --and start being real!

DANIEL F:
    That sounds like truth to me.

SANTINO:
    I! WANT! YOUR! SOUL!!!

HEIDI:
    It's the Real Project Runway: Los Angeles!

---

Everybody say it with me: DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

Re: Real World producers to take over PR on Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3085195;
    HEIDI:
    "This is the true story--"

TIM GUNN:
    True story!

HEIDI:
    --of 15 fashion designers--

MARLA:
    I can do it if you tell me how!

HEIDI:
    --picked to live in a luxurious Los Angeles apartment building--

CHRISTIAN:
    I sleep on the floor at home!

HEIDI:
    --and compete in design challenges and have their lives taped--

JAY:
    I didn't steal the bitch's dye!

HEIDI:
    --to find out what happens--

(CHLOE cries when hearing about the 13th look)

HEIDI:
    --when people stop being polite--

ANGELA:
    Will you shut up? SHUT UP!

JEFFREY:
    How about I couture your face?

HEIDI:
    --and start being real!

DANIEL F:
    That sounds like truth to me.

SANTINO:
    I! WANT! YOUR! SOUL!!!

HEIDI:
    It's the Real Project Runway: Los Angeles!

---

Makes you want to cry!

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3085195;

Agree 100%! PR without New York will not be the same.

Indeed. And I really don't get how Michael Kors is following them to LA. Nina has the free time right now, so that makes sense. But MK's headquarters are down the street from Parsons, which is how he has been able to spend all this time judging. How can he take 5 weeks away from his own business and be in LA?

The higher-ups at Liz Claiborne can't be too happy about this either. Tim Gunn splits his time with them enough as it is, this is something they probably didn't foresee. How is he keeping that job?

FORT Newbie

So the top 3 will present their collections at LA Fashion Week?
    Why are they moving!

Well, at least the judges will be the same! And they won't have any new mentor! I was affraid Season 5 would have somebody to replace Tim... But it's impossible to replace Tim!

Supposedly, according to some news articles, they will still come back to NY for its Fashion Week. Seeing as Michael K will probably have a collection to show, and Nina will be writing for someone by then, there will be a reason for all of them to do so.

Re: Project Runway Season 5 Speculation

There's a hilarious Village Voice article this week on Harvey Weinstein, and his trash. Apparently a writer discovered a pile of discarded memos and printed emails in the trash outside The Weinstein Company headquarters in Tribeca, and fashioned an article from them. There are some juicy details about the coming seasons of PR included, some of which I'm putting in spoiler tags:
    Harvey may be in need of some computer skills. Someone has printed out his e-mails, like one involving details of the new Project Runway, which, after its fifth season on Bravo (starting July 16), Harvey is moving to Lifetime for season six, which will partly be filmed in California. The wags have it that Harvey's ego was offended that Bravo was getting so much credit for the success of the show, so he moved it to the more cautious, less gay Lifetime out of spite.

Longtime fans predict doom. But the e-mails suggest that whether or not Runway wanes, Harvey is a hands-on details guy: He seemed to peruse a series of e-mails regarding the show's makeup and "hair category.” A crucial one was sent May 26 to several people at L'Oreal by Lori Sale, a former Weinstein Company employee now at the Paradigm agency:

"I wish there was more time. Twc [The Weinstein Company] has already gone to great lengths with new partner at lifetime to not only secure both categories for you but also to be flexible toward loreal in coming up with an alternative for you on their packaging of [seasons] six + seven. Unfortunately, due to filming of season five and tresemme's feeling that they are being iced out of season 6, there just is not more time to give. As you know, season five commences in days…twc is now at risk that tresemme will pull out of season 5, which puts twc at risk for 1.1m [$1.1 million]. Carol is welcome to call hw [Harvey Weinstein] or me, but the deadline has to remain at close of business tuesday for loreal to decide on hair category for [Project Runway]/models for season 6 and structure of [seasons] 7/8. I would additionally say that the whole reason we are to this point is a result of the relationship! Without the relationship and the history, l'oreal would not have the opportunity to even engage in the opportunity to obtain the hair category.”

Tresemmé iced out of Runway! Oh, the fur (or at least the hair) is going to fly. If you watch the show, you know how carefully Tim Gunn announces that contestants will be taking their models to the "Tresemmé hair salon” and the "L'Oreal makeup room.” It's no secret that companies like Tresemmé and L'Oreal pay big bucks for that kind of product placement in such a huge hit as Runway. But that last line is precious; translation: We may be asking for a lot of money, but there are plenty of other companies lining up to replace Tresemmé, and you better act fast. Just how much money? That's spelled out in another e-mail included on the same page, one that is addressed from Sale to Harvey himself:

"Hw – if you get a call from carol hamilton it will be regarding [Project Runway] season 6 and beyond. I've imposed a tuesday, close of business deadline for them to commit to hair category in addition to make up. They have two choices: 1) Take both hair and make up for [$2 million] plus [$1 million] to twc (no split) for season 6 and [$2 million] for hair and makeup for season 7 plus [$1 million] to twc for a total of [$6 million]. 2) Commit to season 6 only for [$2 million] hair/make up plus [$1 million] to twc] and then by 3rd episode must pick up both season 7 + 8 for a total of [$8 million] (but must take additional [$1 million] to twc regardless) They have asked for additional time and I have declined that citing tresemme and season 5 which starts shooting shortly. Call me if you have questions. Best, lori”

Got that, H.W.? Lori's playing hardball with L'Oreal, so don't blow it and give the company any additional time to dither. They need to cough up $6–8 mil if they want to tease models' hair on camera for a few seasons.
    Also, it looks like our fears over the show having more challenges with strange/silly promotional tie-ins weren't baseless:

Click to see Spoiler:
    Further evidence that a less-gay Runway on Lifetime is going to get sillier and even more blatantly placed with products is in another phone message from underling Barbara Schneewiess on the boss's call list: "Just wanted to confirm that you're okay with the creative for the Igor challenge on Project Runway.”

This appears to be a reference to the animated kids' film Igor that Weinstein's company is producing, and suggests that contestants on the new Lifetime version of Runway will be making outfits for the movie premiere or something. The tie-in possibilities are endless!
    Read the whole article, it's funny and enlightening.

MFW taking pictures of Parsons is fine but going through someone's trash? Now you've taken it too far.
    CYA

I really want to see if Nina Garcia will return even though she doesn't work for Elle anymore..... and if she doens't who will replace her....

+ Reply to Thread