+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Project Runway in the Media

aga
    FORTified

Re: Project Runway runs away to Lifetime. Bravo is not pleased.

Other Articles:

Chicago Tribune
    'Project Runway' catwalks to Lifetime; Bravo has claws out
    In a stunning development, the Lifetime Network has snatched up Bravo's biggest hit, "Project Runway."
    But the claws are out between the two cable networks: Bravo’s not about to let Tim Gunn and Heidi Klum go without a fight.
    The Hollywood Reporter story called the network switch the "biggest ever" in the cable realm and also noted that Lifetime is in 7 million more homes than Bravo.
    the rest of the article

Variety
    'Project Runway' makes a move
    NBC sues Weinstein Co. over Lifetime deal
    By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER
    NBC and Bravo aren't letting "Project Runway" hop the catwalk to Lifetime without a fierce fight.
    For their part, Lifetime execs said they didn't know the Weinsteins had still been conducting talks with NBC U after their deal was done. The announcement was delayed, Wong said, in order to give the Weinstein Co. time to seal new talent deals with host [Heidi] Klum and series regular Tim "Make It Work" Gunn.
    Also signed on for the Lifetime move: producers Magical Elves, which put the show together for Weinstein. Weinstein is still negotiating new deals with judges Michael Kors and Nina Garcia.
    the rest of the article

New York Times
    NBC Goes to Court to Keep ‘Runway’
    By BILL CARTER
    NBC Universal, the parent company of Bravo network, has gone to court to try to keep “Project Runway,” one of the biggest hits in cable television, from moving to Lifetime this fall.

In a lawsuit filed Monday in state court in Manhattan, NBC accused the owner of “Project Runway,” the Weinstein Company, of violating its rights by making the deal with Lifetime.
    the rest of the article

Project Rungay
    ""In a stunning network hop, Lifetime announced Monday that The Weinstein Co. has signed a five-year deal with the femme-centric cabler to take over the show - cable’s top-rated reality skein - effective this November. sixth season will premiere on Lifetime in November.
    Plans are still underway for Bravo to air season five of “Runway.” According to the suit, the Weinstein Co. asked Bravo to launch the season in July, rather than in the fall. In a concession to the Weinsteins, NBC/Bravo said it agreed to do so.

Now, with Lifetime slated to air its "Runway" in November, that would mean three cycles of the show would air in 2008.
    the rest of the article

Hollywood Reporter
    NBC Universal aims to stop 'Runway' runaway
    By Kimberly Nordyke
    In a bombshell announcement, "Project Runway" producer the Weinstein Co. said Monday that Bravo's signature series will be moving to Lifetime in a five-year deal, starting with its sixth season in November.

Bravo's parent company, NBC Universal, countered by filing a breach-of-contract lawsuit against the Weinstein Co. on Monday aimed at preventing "Runway's" jump to Lifetime.
    the rest of the article
    Last edited by aga; 04-08-2008 at 04:02 PM.
    "We all know that we're going to get beat tonight." - Melrose (ANTM Cycle 7) when Monique gets eliminated from the CoverGirl / Queen Latifah challenge.

"Hi pretty lady...and Tyra." - Heather (ANTM Cycle 9)

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2901994;
    And Heidi, Nina, and Michael are replaced by Dorothy, Blanche, and Rose.

It couldn't have been said better

What were they thinking?!? I will have a hard time to watch PR on Lifetime. I don't even know what the channel number is!

1) BRAVO doesn't not "make" PR. The Weinstein's do. I highly doubt they're gonna mess with a winning formula.

2) According to insiders, the Weinstein's were not happy with the fact that Bravo is reluctant to do another 'Tim Gunn's Guide to Style'. Which is probably why Tim is okay with jumping ship.

3) Just think, at least we won't have to deal with 20,000 of the same 'MMAS' or 'Real Housewives' commercials.

4) Lifetime MOVE Network shows the craptastick movies.

5) NO Andy Cohen on Lifetime!

Does this mean that Lifetime will now be marketing itself as the network for gays as WELL as the network for women?

And what of what I suspect is an unexpectedly large male, metrosexual-ish viewership, who while they aren't generally embarrassed by getting manicures and knowing what looks good on their girlfriends, might be um... STILL slightly conflicted about clicking over to Lifetime?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Lifetime is the home to Golden Girls, Frasier, The Nanny and Will & Grace reruns. Also Grey's and Desperate Housewives on weekends. The gays and metros are already there. They (we) just don't throw their hands in the air about it like they do with Bravo.

I just scrolled through Lifetime's schedule tomorrow: it's ALL reruns of the above shows, plus Reba and Still Standing, interrupted only by several TV movies throughout the day. They have their work cut out for them.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

This is awful news...I dont watch Lifetime nor know what channel that is like someone else had mentioned, this is not good...and who is Dorothy, Blanche, and Rose??? If Nina is getting replace, will it not be with Elle Magazine anymore?

FORT Fogey

Don't worry Kinmoku - As Hutchlover said upthread, the producers of the show have not changed, only the network they've sold it to. The content of the show will almost definitely not change.

With regards to the current image of Lifetime and the questionable match with PR -- Does anyone remember what Bravo was like before Queer Eye for the Straight Guy? It was almost like the PBS movie channel. They had Inside the Actors Studio as their premier show, some old movies, and a few other programs no one else really cared about. I remember it was on my cable system, and then removed due to lack of interest before Queer Eye came along. They added that show in order to significantly re-vamp their image, get back some of the cable systems that had dropped them, and it worked. I would imagine that is exactly what Lifetime is trying to do. They recognize that they've gone from the cable network for women to an aged, insignificant home for re-runs of really bad sit-coms. I would expect that they want to change to fit the mold of PR, not the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by KinmokuPrincess;2911601;
    This is awful news...I dont watch Lifetime nor know what channel that is like someone else had mentioned, this is not good...and who is Dorothy, Blanche, and Rose??? If Nina is getting replace, will it not be with Elle Magazine anymore?
    Hehe.. they are the Golden Girls, the most unexpected yet one of the most loved set of gay icons in television history. Every little gay boy has one of the Golden Girls in them.

To be fair to Lifetime, they are putting out a bit more edgy content. They do the "Gay, Straight, or Taken", a game show involving one woman and three men; the woman has to choose which one is gay, which one is straight, and which one is taken. It is targeted a bit more towards women, but my partner and I enjoy it.

The main thing about this move is it just takes me by surprise, and after that shock has worn off a bit, I'm able to take it a bit better. But I too need to figure out which channel Lifetime is, because I have no clue either.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

One thing that will probably NOT change is the amount of product placement, in fact there may be even more.

Harvey Weinstein moved the show for more money, and more control of the money to be made on side deals. The reason Macy's disappeared as a sponsor after S3 is because Harvey butted in and had a Wal-Mart exec do an on-camera appearance in the finale episode, since the Weinsteins have their own DVD deal with Wal-Mart separate from Bravo/Magical Elves' season-long deal with Macy's. Macy's hit the roof and said SEEYA.

Now that Harvey has more control over these things, I'd bet we can expect more of the same. No more Tiki Barbers, since the show won't be tied to NBC anymore, but Harvey will probably sell promotional links to the highest bidder, meaning they could be even more bizarre or unrelated to the fashion world.

But we won't know until November, I guess. We'll have one more season this summer on Bravo, and then a leap into the unknown.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln

I'm interested in seeing what happens between now and the move. What, if any changes, will be made. How things will go, but I'm not going to stress about it. I watched this last season online because it airs much earlier in the US than here in Canada. So, as long as those who youtube it are still able to, that's all that really really matters to me. I watch for the fashion and the entertainment! Heh.

+ Reply to Thread