+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 3/5 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 3/5 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal26;2827188;
    Do you honestly think that if Michael, Nina, and Heidi didn't agree, they would just let Posh decide the outcome all by herself?

The judges say positive and negative things about every single collection. They said plenty about Rami's (didn't like the color choices, his evening pieces far outweighed his separates) and Jillian's (not cohesive enough - a bigggg problem) and Christian's (too much black, only skinny tall people could wear it). Certainly Posh's favoring Christian influenced the decision, but the other judges as well as Tim were amazed by his talent and collection as well. I understand some people aren't happy about the win; I personally loved all three contestants this year, so going in I didn't have a favorite. But seeing the show, I had no doubt that Christian would win.

It's MHO that Victoria's going ga-ga over Christian's collection was a MAJOR (to steal Victoria's terminology, for a second) reason why he DID win. If not THE major reason.

Victoria's NOT a regular judge on the show. Even though she could've danced around the studio or done cartwheels about ANY of the collections, there were three other people in a decisive position on the final winner. People who HAD been on the show from Day One, as I recall.

So, no, unless all three, or at least two, of those people agreed with Victoria, logically, there is no way ANY of the three designers could've pulled off a win.

And in particular, since those three people had made quite an issue in the past about "costumey" work --- and yep, again, to me, a lot of Christian's Bryant Park work was costumey (I even recall Tim advising Christian in NY that a pair of feather pants he'd made to put in the show came across as "costume" and that he needed to think about that. It's kind of ironic that those pants didn't seem to show up on the BP runway, ain't it?), they make themselves come across as kind of questionable when a collection with a stong COSTUMEY vibe walks off with the top prize.

Which somehow just happens to happen when a fashionista whose taste CAN sometimes be kind of out there --- or costumey, if you want to go there --- comes to sit in as a guest judge?

Please.

Having watched PR once or twice before (actually, I've seen all three previous seasons), it's old news to me that the judges say positive and negative things about individual challenge outfits, as well as Bryant Park runway collections.

But it's NOT old news to me that Christian is a talented designer. I believe I may have already said I liked a lot of his stuff from the show last night, and that I wish him good luck for his win. I've also previously said that out of the final runway offerings, all three of these designers produced the best work for the Bryant Park runway show, yet.

So, MHO is not necessesarily about being happy or not about Christian's win.

It's just about MHO.

And it's just fashion (to echo Santino), after all.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Damn! I just got spoiled. Turned on the TV a little early for the local news. Inside Edition was just finishing up and immediately there was a spot on Christian winning. There was no avoiding it. (PR4 is running on about a 4 week delay up here. Victorya was out last ep). Oh well. I'm okay with this. I wanted Jillian to win, but he did well. Glad Rami, Sweet Pea and especially Ricky didn't.

Although I liked Rami's evening wear a lot, I'm glad he didn't win. Besides the fact that he got to have a useful critique from the judges (good-bye over-designed blue coat!)--a critique we're not sure that Christian or Jillian got to have, and which thus might have sparked some "did he have an unfair advantage" controversy--it would have been very anti-climactic, IMHO. I mean, really: "Established high-end women's wear designer with impressive celebrity clientèle triumphs over other, less-established and/or less-experienced contestants." Big whoo that would have been.

For me, Rami least embodied what I watch PR for. I'm watching to see designers who want to take it to the next level, who want to branch out into more mainstream or commercial women's wear (Ricky or Chris, for example) or who are young and/or underfunded and just want a better opportunity to develop their own line (such as Jillian or Christian).

From what I read, Rami already has an impressive and established clientèle and sells to high-end boutiques. I always thought he seemed to play it safe most of the season because he had to think about how he and his designs would appear to existing and potential clients. He seemed to me to be less about taking a risk or wowing us or (in some cases) giving the judges what they asked for, and more about sticking with his long-standing aesthetic (the one his customers expect) and trying to merely expose more people to it.

I found him to be pleasant but rather boring, because I felt he was mostly just there not to learn or grow or "take it to the next level" but simply to expand his existing business.

As always, that's just my opinion. YMMV.

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by dallas_viewer;2828417;

For me, Rami least embodied what I watch PR for. I'm watching to see designers who want to take it to the next level, who want to branch out into more mainstream or commercial women's wear (Ricky or Chris, for example) or who are young and/or underfunded and just want a better opportunity to develop their own line (such as Jillian or Christian).

I found him to be pleasant but rather boring, because I felt he was mostly just there not to learn or grow or "take it to the next level" but simply to expand his existing business.

As always, that's just my opinion. YMMV.
    I agree 100%. He's very well funded and has celebrity clients already. It would have been nice for him to win, but he really didn't NEED to win like the other two. The money and exposurewould make a bigger difference to the other two. I do't feel bad for Rami AT ALL; he's not hurting for business and I'm sure he'll get a nice boon out of this, as his gowns are lovely. It's sad, but I liked a lot of the things that he made...just not the colors he picked.

I do agreed with the judges that all the designers had very dark color pallettes and I felt as if I were at a funeral procession instead of a design show. I was very pleasantly surprised with Jillian's collection and hoped she would win. I didn't realize some of Rami's outfits were as intricate as they were because the camera did not show it. What I was a bit miffed about was that the judges had chosen not to include Chris because he was too costumey and yet look at the ruffeled dresses Christian had and the feather dress. That wasn't costumey, please. After seeing that I felt that was a slap in the face to Chris.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;2827684;
    Where did you go to see those? If not able to post here, please PM me! I looked at the official site and could not find anything. We felt let down not to have seen all 12 of Chris' pieces.
    I was intrigued by Chris and wanted to see more also! I actually did find it on the official PR website, so I should be able to post it here.

Project Runway: Final Collections for Project Runway 4 - Watch Season 4 of the Fashion Designer TV Show – Official Bravo TV Site

For me this comes up with Sweet Pea first, but there are links to the other non-winning designers right below the photo - just click on the name of the designer whose collection you want to see!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2829110;
    What I was a bit miffed about was that the judges had chosen not to include Chris because he was too costumey and yet look at the ruffeled dresses Christian had and the feather dress. That wasn't costumey, please. After seeing that I felt that was a slap in the face to Chris.
    I agree. What a slap! A lot of Christian's outfits had costumey aspects to them. More than even perhaps Chris' did. I think it was incredibly hypocritical.

I almost forgot, but the judges had such an adverse rection to Chris's hair extensions and yet drooled over Christian's feather gowns. Well, feathers are just bird hair.

Anyway, thanks for the link to the other designers collections. Sweet Pea surprised me. She had color, (yes a refreshing change from black) and patterns and an interesting bubble shaped shirt that I hate to say only the skinny girls could wear.

Chris was also very dark and I don't think the photos do the garments justice.

I got as far as Jillian's collection and again and I would never have guessed she had several pieces of knitwear from the photos taken.

Oh, I guess everyone saw some of the previous seasons contestents in the audience, didn't Jay Carroll look as if he gained all the weight he lost for his special??
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Lex

None of that explained to me how Christian's big, stupid, puffy mess is good fashion.
    "Ah don't hayave an acksent." - Kellie Pickler 2006

The one thing I missed this season because they spent an episode on the run-off between Chris and Rami was more behind-the-scenes how they got their collections made info like they had last year. I would have liked to see Tim visiting and having them show how they got those elaborate hats made, which items they constructed themselves, etc. Did Jillian do her own knitwear? I doubt it. (Loathed that huge, ridiculous knit hat with the giant knit flower that she was wearing, btw!)

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;2829223;
    I was intrigued by Chris and wanted to see more also! I actually did find it on the official PR website, so I should be able to post it here.
    Project Runway: Final Collections for Project Runway 4 - Watch Season 4 of the Fashion Designer TV Show – Official Bravo TV Site
    For me this comes up with Sweet Pea first, but there are links to the other non-winning designers right below the photo - just click on the name of the designer whose collection you want to see!
    Thank you! I'm not sure how Sweet Pea got to show a collection as she was not in the run-off, but it was nice to see them all. The photos strangely flattened everything out and made most of the designs look like aspiring designer's sketches. Just based on that photo stream, Rami's looked the most like real clothes and not teen sketches.

Chris' looks all had too many of the same neckline. Now I can see why they chose Rami instead for the finale, although based just on the 3 looks they showed, I felt before it should have been Chris up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex;2829834;
    None of that explained to me how Christian's big, stupid, puffy mess is good fashion.
    Lol, idk that it is "good fashion," but given the judges etc. I can see why Christian won, although I think his designs were very Vivienne Westwood retro "inspired" as opposed to very original and forward-thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kao;2828757;
    I agree 100%. He's very well funded and has celebrity clients already. It would have been nice for him to win, but he really didn't NEED to win like the other two. The money and exposure would make a bigger difference to the other two. I don't feel bad for Rami AT ALL; he's not hurting for business and I'm sure he'll get a nice boon out of this, as his gowns are lovely. It's sad, but I liked a lot of the things that he made...just not the colors he picked.
    I felt if he had taken out that super-ugly dress that he did in two super-ugly colors and given us two different looks in good colors instead, he would have been my top pick.

We liked Jillian before the finale, but could not stand her whiny voice and entitled attitude. And maybe she should have gotten together with the lingerie designer to learn how to fit those bra-top ("armor"?) looking dresses to women's actual bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata;2829507;
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes"
    Lol, who are you quoting?
    Last edited by Harvest; 03-08-2008 at 12:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread