+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 3/5 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Re: 3/5 Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by tousselchick;2826429;
    I find it odd that they aufed Chris for being too costumey and Christian won with peices that werr costumey.
    Yup, me too.

It makes 'em look like they're talking out of both sides of their mouths, or they've checked their brains at the runway and can't make up their minds.

Makes me wonder . . .

What if Chris had edged out Christian?

Would Victoria have thought him as "major" (especially considering the pieces he created that used human hair) as Christian?

Maybe, maybe not.

But I'm willing to bet you that if she HAD, Chris would've won this!
    Last edited by ness; 03-06-2008 at 12:36 AM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

It showed that each of the designers models weren't professional. Christian's was slinging her arms widely almost not walking straight. Rami's tripped at the end of the runway where she is suppose to do her poses. Jillian's was o.k. though (poor steamed in the back girl). Yes, none of the three used their show model as the last look.

JILLIAN'S PROBLEM (1) Two of her models were really off. One had a short neck. And the other was the tall one from the show. She was too manly. Jillian shouldn't have used her. It messed up that look. (2) She didn't have pow evening wear. She couldn't compete with Rami and Christian.

RAMI His clothes were great. I don't have the color criticism that the judges have. He had only 12 looks to show so he showed classic winter colors. His sportswear and evening wear was fantastic.

CHRISTIAN Yes that choking up near the end got me. Yay Chris. We must see the fierceness.

Ordering of show--They didn't want to have a weak show like last year end it up (Michael Knight). They deliberately sequenced the shows this time not leaving it up to random draw.

From Tim's blog:

Project Runway: Blogs - Watch Season 4 of the Fashion Designer TV Show – Official Bravo TV Site

Christian is the winner of Project Runway Season Four and becomes Project Runway royalty. His collection was a show-stopper. It was all about the counterpoint between exuberant volume and minimalist restraint, such as blouson tops with cigarette pants. His palette was largely black with some merlot accent pieces, except for the eveningwear, which was ivory and brown. Christian's two final looks were the ne plus ultra of his show. His second-to-last look was a belted cocktail length dress in hundreds and hundreds of vertical layers of chiffon with the color arranged from light to dark and the overall effect being like an uber sophisticated ombre. And his finale was jaw-droppingly stunning: a full length gown of feathers. In spite of his exceptional showing, I was worried that Christian’s relative youth and inexperience would be obstacles for the judges. I was worried until Michael Kors languorously stated, “You know, I began my label with I was 21 ….” OK -- the set-up for his win was established. Look out haute couture! Here comes Christian Siriano!
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by mschulz;2826480;
    Christian's collection was a drag collection.. perfect for Posh

That's exactly what i was thinking! Totally ridiculous costumey clap trap that I figured would appeal to those who see themselves as superior to the masses when it comes to judging what is cutting edge, what is beautiful, what is truly a work of art... And byt he way, Chris does costumey so much better, inbibing joy and playfullness...Christians work screams contrived and overly thought out, it lacks a feeling of effortlessness.
    What bothers me is how arbitrarily the judges apply their rules as to what makes one contestant a winner, while preventing another from making it into the finals. Chris work was too over the top, too costumey according to the judges, but Christians (which was about 1000 times more costumey than Chris) is picked as the best? Come on, the guy has no idea how to edit down his vision. Some of his `clothes' were unbelievably unflattering to the models. The feathers were overly done and the repetiveness of the black , the fit of the clothes reminded me of something out of a Marilyn Manson video circa 1997. The dress witht he feathers was the only thing which wowed me.

I appreciate the maturity Rami and Jillian showed by choosing to work inside far more difficult parameters - translating their concepts and editing their work so that it remained unique but also accessable and flattering to a woman's body. I applaud Jillian for daring to toss in those knits, soft subtle and well done. I applaud Rami for using that amazing weaving technique, how beautiful was that? How underappreciated. How unexpected. In both cases, these designers chose subtley over the everything but he kitchen sink approach of Christian. Unfortuantley, they were penalized for it.
    "You have to remember, sometimes your `buddy' isn't really your `buddy' in this game." -Donny

Quote Originally Posted by ness;2826523;
    Yup, me too.

It makes 'em look like they're talking out of both sides of their mouths, or they've checked their brains at the runway and can't make up their minds.

Makes me wonder . . .

What if Chris had edged out Christian?

Would Victoria have thought him as "major" (especially considering the pieces he created that used human hair) as Christian?

Maybe, maybe not.

But I'm willing to bet you that if she HAD, Chris would've won this!

Ain't that the truth!
    "You have to remember, sometimes your `buddy' isn't really your `buddy' in this game." -Donny

I thought the dress that Jillian wore was the best thing that she showed....it was adorable.
    CYA

By far the best of the four seasons! There wasn't a "loser" in any of the finalists. The only thing that could have made it better was to have included Chris. I Always liked his designs the best. The Human Hair business was just silly. There would have been no problem with killing a few foxes and drapping them around some model's neck for artistic effect. I doubt if they killed the Humans and shaved their heads for the delight of Chris. You want to talk disgusting, my mother used to wear a Monkey Fur Jacket purchased in the '40's and it looked just like the human hair that Chris used. I could have accepted any of the three finalists winning, thougn I thought Jillian's work was the weakest and Rami's looked like everything was designed for middle-aged, blue haired women from "Boca". I also disagree with the comment thrown around by the judges and some on this forum, that certain designers created the type of clothes that women wanted to wear. That's not what Bryant Park is all about. It is about fantasy and whimsey. Designers take their "fantastic" designs and then from those create a line of "ready to wear". You don't see many designers from J.C.Penny or Target showing at Bryant Park. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ness;2826404;
    Looking at the show again . . .

I seem to recall Christin saying something from last week about his collection having a Goth feel, or edge>

Well, except for all that black, I'm trying to find the Goth in it.

Haven't found it, yet.

JMHO.
    That was Chris commenting about his collection I think, The three pieces he showed with human hair.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;2826633;
    I also disagree with the comment thrown around by the judges and some on this forum, that certain designers created the type of clothes that women wanted to wear. That's not what Bryant Park is all about. It is about fantasy and whimsey. Designers take their "fantastic" designs and then from those create a line of "ready to wear". You don't see many designers from J.C.Penny or Target showing at Bryant Park. LOL.
    That's a good point. The show isn't looking for the next great ready-to-wear designer who will market to K-Mart. They are looking for the "next great fashion designer". The point is to find people with vision, who have the kind of gift that can't be taught. The kind of designer who lives, eats and breathes the work, who can't not make interesting clothes.

While I found a lot of the Ramiulans and other snarky commenters on certain PR blogs to be full of hot air, telling anyone who preferred Chris or Christian that they had no taste (grrrrrr), I can also see the point that Project Runway isn't about finding a populist winner. The winner is supposed to be someone who can do something no one else can. And if Christian were 37 and showed what he showed, I'd be the first to throw ripe fruit. But c'mon, he's 21, he hasn't even finished puberty (I hope)! I don't have a problem crowning a Mozart over a Salieri-ami.

Rami and Jillian and Sweet P and Kit and others will have success in their markets. Chris has said himself that his heart is still in costume design, and that he was okay with them taking Rami. Elisa is, at heart, half designer and half performance artist. And Victorya will continue making interesting clothes and biting the heads off small animals.

I don't see a lot of losers this year, but I do see a whole bunch of winners.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

I guess the West Coasters are really engrossed in the show! *crickets*
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." – Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread