+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2/27 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Re: 2/27 Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;2817916;
    Just what I've said about shows like this. The judging is Sooooo subjective that the judges can easily "justify" advancing one designer over another. I thought Rami was simply boring while Chris was whimsical (sp), magical and I KNOW that there would be a market for his clothes. Rami's market would be the middle aged Orange County Matron who's beginning to "spread" a little. So much can be hidden by draping. Plus he's really just a "one trick pony" Chris and Christian were the only two among the designers who were REALLY creative.
    From this middle aged Orange County (non) Matron (though of an indeterminate age) who has spread more than a little, if I have to be subjected to draping, I would prefer kimono draping to grecian draping. If the "killer" question from the panel was regarding customer bases, then yes - Rami should go to the finals. At least he is looking toward commercial/retail sales, and it appears Chris hasn't given it much thought. There may well be a market for Chris' clothes, but, apparently, he hasn't found it yet. Maybe this exposure and taking on the right marketing team will locate it, and he will have a very happy clientel base. I wish him only the best. Whether it is for a niched design market or a show business market, I just know he will thrive.

I'm still upset about the pulled puffed sleeves Christian showed Tim on one of the blouses. That has got to be ugly. If he really is following his inspiration pictures, he could have had a small cap sleeve then trailed down the arm with broad striped silk/satin to lace cuffs. That tied off puff really bothers me. Anyway, I wish him well in the competition, though I hope the judges go safe and favor Jillian. (I worry for her, though, with her mother pushing, pushing her to "be somebody" because of a fortune telling.)

Looking forward to the show next Wednesday.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

FORT Newbie

As someone who wears extensions, I thought the hair was amazing. It was such a clever idea. Chris's pieces were art. They were runway fashion that could be adapted w fake fur for mass market. I could see Chris's clothes becoming very fashionable w NYC goth types. That's Chris's customer.
    JMO.

Too bad he won't be in the finale. He seems to be such a wonderful person. Truly likable.

Kay

Quote Originally Posted by Starbucks880;2816323;
    I thought Chris's was more creative and innovative. I think he went overboard with the hair and would have done much better if he scaled back on it. I don't know why the disgust on using human hair--people wear skin and hair of dead animals all the time, so why is human hair any different? Rami did okay. I didn't like the coat and the only one I really liked was the evening dress. I didn't get the love of the second look--it really wasn't that spectacular. Based on this episode, I am beginning to think Jillian will win.
    People have been eating chicken eggs since the beginning of time. So you're saying that it is acceptable to eat human egg? And for that poster who said that wearing animal skin is grosser, i'd rather wear it than wearing human skin...yikes!
    Last edited by jammyjoe; 02-29-2008 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jammyjoe;2819181;
    People have been eating chicken eggs since the beginning of time. So you're saying that it is acceptable to eat human egg?
    When people go to get weaves/extensions, they don't ask for chicken feathers.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddar;2817767;
    I don't think designing with human hair is creepy at all. Actually, it'd be interesting to know if Tim/Heidi/Nina know that using human hair in fashion is not a new thing. Hair jewelry and accents were really popular in the 18th and 19th centuries. People used to use their own hair and their loved ones' hair and created items that would be kept and passed down as remembrances. It was a really neat tradition, I think.
    Mourning Jewelry. In America, it was popular during the Civil War. I've seen pictures of some intricate pieces.

I think the judges intended to have Rami in the finals all along. However, their plans were frustrated when Rami pulled, at best, mediocre results for the final challenge before deciding who goes to Fashion Week. So instead of giving the slot to Chris, they come up with the stupid scenario of Rami and Chris competing, and even then when Chris pulls out some wonderfully artistic creations, they bypass him to award Rami with the win. What a fix!

Based on the three looks alone, in my view Chris was much more deserving of the slot with his avant garde pieces than Rami was with that retched peanut butter cup wrapper dress, and that ugly, tortured jacket. I wasn't even a fan of the bulky draped piece of crap that won him so much praise. I've really enjoyed this season, and I especially appreciate that no one really seems to hate each other as they have in the past, but Rami getting the third slot in Fashion Week really sours it a bit for me.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

No one loves Chris more than I but given what he showed on the runway......No Way were they going to choose him! He is innovative and thinks outside the spectrum but the judges have slots to fill and people to impress. They take this very seriously when....in the words of Santino...."It's Just Fashion"...........
    CYA

FORT Newbie

What do you think?
    Could Chris have gotten away w it if he had used *synthetic* hair? He would have had the same look w/o the gross-out factor. I was not grossed out, but apparently lots of ppl were completely turned off. I guess I understand that.
    His clothes were so Morticia.

Kay

I just viewed the fashions from this season's Paris & Milan shows.

Chris is way more in line with what they consider fashion, than Rami is. But all along, everyone has always said that the US fashion market is very staid and far behind. In that respect, yes, Rami fits in better. But Nina has her pulse more on what's current in US fashion and knows what her magazine subscribers want to see & buy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

God forbid anyone should color outside of the lines. Better we sould all be alike, I guess?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread