+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: 2/13 Show Discussion * Spoilers*

Re: 2/13 Show Discussion * Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by ManySkills;2794289;
    Unlike Christian, who seems to envision his entire outfit from the very start, she always seems to work more 'organically'. She creates her basic piece, fits it to her model, then edits until satisfied.

This has resulted in many strong pieces, often contenders for the win. But it takes time, which, absent her model, she didn't have.
    Very true. As a graphic artist, I like to work organically, but when I'm under deadline, it's not an efficient way to work.

I've always found that half the battle of completing a graphic is seeing it in your head first. If you can see it, you can figure out how it's going to come together before you start. Sometmes I can envision it, and sometimes I just have to start fiddling until a spark happens. And it's much easier for me to edit (or start again from scratch) on my computer than it is for these guys to edit on their dressforms. That's why people like Sweet P, Elisa and Daniel Franco are at a disadvantage in any competition.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln

All I can say is THANK GOD FOR ROBERTO CAVALLI!

And I trust his taste 1000x more than any of the regular judges.

You know Nina just wants man-candy in the runway shows. She practically drools over Rami and always has.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;2794342;

First I think they need to have Project Runway with designers like Christian, but I think they need to have Project Designer for designers like Sweet P. If you look at all the seasons the ones that win are usually the elaborate runway show type which makes sense, but the others are so talented they deserve a chance against their contemporaries.

I think Christian like that awful one last year will win, and they deserve it as they have the Runway style, but for me I like to see the designs that I could actually wear.
    This is the continuing dialectic of Project Runway: wearable, accessible, retail, commercial garments that are often pretty versus edgy, less accessible, editorial, sometimes couture-like designs that are often not nearly as pretty or wearable. There is a valid argument to choosing designers like Sweet P, Uli, Laura Bennett and Chloe over designers like Christian, Jeffrey, Santino and Jay. But Nina and Michael turn a deaf ear to it.

You can hear Fern Mallis--the guest judge of last year's finale--argue it (if you have the DVDs or catch a rerun marathon from last year) and I'm pretty sure Heidi also tends to be on the wearable side of the argument. But because Michael and Nina want to be the cool kids on the block with their fashion forward friends they bully others into agreement--with the exception of Santino and Chloe--where Santino blew it with a poorly made and unflattering collection.

I can see both sides of the argument but get really worked up when a designer that completely lacks talent--Jeffrey, IMO--gets chosen over other more conservative but much more talented designers. When the fashion forward designer is immensely talented--like Christian, IMO--I don't mind it as much...

The biggest problem, though, is if Michael and Nina stay on the judging panel--not only will this continue but it becomes easier and easier to spot their championed 'winner'. I had Christian picked out as the eventual winner by week 2. I also agree that people want to see a designer who creates wearable clothes get some praise rather than being called boring, safe and commercial--with distain dripping from MK and NG as they hurl the insults. So a spin off version wouldn't be such a bad idea--It could be called Project Wearable...Even Michael Kors' designs would do well there...
    Last edited by chrisg; 02-14-2008 at 01:16 PM.

Here Kitty Kitty Kitty StarrieEyedKat's Avatar

I just don't understand why the judges harp so much on Rami but not Christian. I've seen a lot of draping from Rami, but I've seen more puffy jackets and tight pants from Christian than I can stand.
    Just found out I'm pregnant, 1/28/08!!!

I would like it better if they picked Chris as it will be more interesting to see what he would do for Fashion Week, but I have a feeling they'll pick Rami. He seems to be able to do no wrong. I just hope there won't be 12 Grecian style dresses, since that seems to be all that he can do. I would actually wear one of those dresses, since they look pretty elegant, but Rami just bores me and I am really beginning to think he can't do anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by hutchlover;2794432;
    All I can say is THANK GOD FOR ROBERTO CAVALLI!

And I trust his taste 1000x more than any of the regular judges.

You know Nina just wants man-candy in the runway shows. She practically drools over Rami and always has.
    I'm completely on your island man.Give me a hug!

Premium Member

Seriously I am still ticked off about the Clothes off with Rami and Chris they should have just eliminated drape boy augggh it isn't fair stupid judges

I think it is really unfair that they are having both Chris and Rami do collections, bring them to fashion week and THEN the judges will select which person will show and who will take his frocks home. What a slap in the face to the "loser". Better to find out now than to spend months creating a line and have the judges say, "Gee, Rami (or Chris) you're the loser so get your sorry ass back to where ever you came from because we don't like you (sound of raspberry).

Quote Originally Posted by StarrieEyedKat;2794472;
    I just don't understand why the judges harp so much on Rami but not Christian. I've seen a lot of draping from Rami, but I've seen more puffy jackets and tight pants from Christian than I can stand.
    I was telling hubby almost the same thing. That Christian's looks are just as monotonous as Rami's -- just less wearable, unless you happen to look like Christian.

Quote Originally Posted by paridy;2795179;
    Seriously I am still ticked off about the Clothes off with Rami and Chris they should have just eliminated drape boy augggh it isn't fair stupid judges
    I can't remember their ever booting off two people on the same night before, which made me wonder if they had this planned all along. I'm happy for Chris that he still has a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;2795549;
    I was telling hubby almost the same thing. That Christian's looks are just as monotonous as Rami's -- just less wearable, unless you happen to look like Christian.

I'm happy for Chris that he still has a chance.
    Christian's looks are way over the top, too much, not wearable clothing unless you are modeling or in Hollywood.

Chris, he's very good, hope he advances. He's such a nice man.

+ Reply to Thread