+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: project runway 11/28 show discussion

Re: project runway 11/28 show discussion

Quote Originally Posted by LucyVanPelt;2698226;
    what i dont get is how tim said this is the most talented bunch we have had so far, i disagree personally-- i was WOWED a LOT in the past 3 seasons and have yet to be really wowed this season.
    They may well be (except for Ricky), but except for the first challenge, they haven't had the opportunity to make outfits that require a real creative vision. The SJP challenge had to adhere to the look of her line, and this last thing for Tiki Barber was a tailoring job, not a design competition.

I didn't even like Carmen that much, but something's wrong with the universe if she goes out in Week 3. She obviously had more game than half the designers. So far this season, things have been way too arbitrary, both in the layout of the challenges and in the judging. IMO, of course.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

maybe i am off on this one too but also seems like everyone involved this season is already established somewhat-- unlike past seasons where there was more of a mix between those who were already pretty much established (like your jeffreys) and those looking for their big break/to be discovered (like your jays)

and you are right, not much opportunity has been really given to showcase each designers creative vision yet...
    Last edited by LucyVanPelt; 11-29-2007 at 06:26 PM.
    "The most courageous act is still to think for yourself.Aloud."
    -Coco Chanel

I think this season has definite potential. I'm never really engrossed in the show until I get more of a feel for the designers' style and personalities, and I'm slowly getting there. I like when we get clips of them goofing around, like when Chris and Rami were giving Christian a hard time. Right now they're still in a very polite place.

But I'm actually excited about this season. I'm curious about Elisa, Rami, Kit, Christian and Chris as designers since they come from such different backgrounds and already have clear styles, and I already like Jack's and Chris's personalities a lot. I think it'll be an interesting season.

I didn't care for last night's challenge for the same reason I never look at men's fashion magazines: I don't care about men's fashion. Women's fashion is much more interesting to me.

I liked that they did menswear. But I wish they had picked a man who is at least a more creative dresser (like an Alan Cumming maybe).......not mister "make an outfit for me in the exact same style as I already dress".
    What a waste of so much potential talent- limiting them to such a restrictive dresser.
    Couldn't they have found a male celebrity that would be on PR and actually challenge the designers to create something totally new? I thought PR was about creating hot new fashion. That for me includes both men & women.
    Tim Gunn is always saying "Don't bore Nina". How about don't bore the viewers?
    Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. -Albert Einstein

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

^ Exactly! Unfortunately, I guess Tiki Barber was the only male on the New York NBC payroll who would play along. This is the downside of Bravo being bought by a major network/studio: shameless cross-promotion up the ying-yang. As evidenced by the countless hours of Law & Order reruns that can already be found on USA and three other channels...
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Enjoyed the show, more so the interaction between the designers and how they handle the stress of the challenge. Honestly, 18 hours (hope the time is correct?) to draft a pattern and then construct 3 pieces that are finished well? I do not think the judges really expect the peices to all be finished perfectly and be brilliant. But I guess that is part of the challenge.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

What I don't understand is how in the heck can the designers have a problem with making a man's jacket, pants and shirt when they can easily make a woman's jacket, pants and shirt. Sewing sleeves, collars, cuffs, and measuring is basically the same. Just exclude allowances for the hips and bust. These designers never, ever made pants, jacket, and shirts???

Quote Originally Posted by Kocky_Kamikaze;2704471;
    What I don't understand is how in the heck can the designers have a problem with making a man's jacket, pants and shirt when they can easily make a woman's jacket, pants and shirt. Sewing sleeves, collars, cuffs, and measuring is basically the same. Just exclude allowances for the hips and bust. These designers never, ever made pants, jacket, and shirts???
    from what I understand from watching the show, and from working at banana republic ( :puke ) the mens wear is much more detailed and requires a lot more work in general to get the right fit. The seems are in different places and the pants are more structured. I think in general, mens wear is much more structured. There's a basic approach to mens wear, but it is much different than women's wear so if they had never done it before they would understandably be lost. Well, i'm not sure my explanation helped at all but i tried.

I don't know (and am too lazy to check ) if this has been discussed on this thread, but what do you think about Jack and others using his pants to make a pattern? I don't think I like this. Women could have done it and actually could still do it every week, but they never do. I think this gives the person an unfair advantage. What do you think?

Well none of them really need to do it because they all can make womenswear patterns in their sleep. It's all they've been doing since design school.

It was said more than once on the show that it was legal for men to use clothes to make a pattern, so if for some reason one of the women felt the need to do it I guess it would be legal.
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456