+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Seamy Side Controversy

Here's a paragraph from Nick's review of this much-discussed episode. Apparently he thinks there's something amiss with Jeffrey's outsourcing.

Finally, Tim took his Roadster to L.A. to visit Jeffrey. I could definitely imagine vintage Nirvana playing on the car stereo. After the requisite trip down suicide-and-drugs memory lane, we got a peek into Jeffrey's Japanese art-inspired collection. Tim seemed physically moved by it. I was more moved by Jeffrey's incredibly professional workspace and that every garment was hanging in their plastic bags, just as if he had received them back from the sewing contractor the night before. I made a mental note.

Here's the link: http://people.aol.com/people/article...216026,00.html

Enjoy!

"Vintage Nirvana"...just when I thought I couldn't feel any older...

If Jeffrey didn't cheat outright, the very space he used makes him suspect, because it's obviously a community shop for tenants, or someone else's factory. Who's to say some friends in the building/shop didn't say, "You look beat, Jeff. how long since you've seen the old lady and kid? Go home, we'll finish this hem for ya..."

I hope he didn't do anything wrong, because it would make him a completely tragic figure if he did. My guess is he is exonerated, I don't think he'd be so upbeat on the talk show circuit these days, or showing up to them at all.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by VictoryIsMine;2103149;
    The Laura/Tim discussion appeared totally manufactured. Who walks into a room and says "Laura, is there anything you would like to talk to me about in private?" or something like that? The only time that ever happens is if the person walking into the room knows something is up.

I am definitely on the train that Jeff shows but is eliminated from consideration to win.
    Actually, you should listen to Tim Gunn's podcast/mp3 on the Project Runway site. You will get a better feeling for how things work and what is going on. Tim knew something was going on and could tell that Laura needed to talk.

What I find interesting is the editing. The Tim/Laura on the balcony talk happen like the 1st day when Tim came to get the reciepts from them. Tim could tell that Laura look upset about something and might have been more comfortable talking to him outside.

Other points of interest-When Tim visited Jeffrey back in CA, he told Jeffrey to make sure to have his collection done before coming back to NY, because he might not have alot of time to work on it there. He also points out that in Jeffrey's workspace 1-there were people running about working on Jeffrey's OTHER collection. BUT 2-Jeffrey clearly had his own space and wasn't letting others see his collection for Project Runway.

After seeing the commerical many times this weekend. I think that Jeffrey looks relived. Also, notice they don't show Laura's reaction. So Jeffrey is found innocent (since he stayed within the Project Runway guidelines for the $8000). I think that after he sees the models in the wigs with the collection he decides to get rid of them. Or Tim suggests that it looks bad, so Jeffrey removes them.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;2103935;
    If Jeffrey didn't cheat outright, the very space he used makes him suspect, because it's obviously a community shop for tenants, or someone else's factory. Who's to say some friends in the building/shop didn't say, "You look beat, Jeff. how long since you've seen the old lady and kid? Go home, we'll finish this hem for ya..."
    The workspace is Jeffrey's. It's a real professional designer's space. He does make money with his collections. So he can afford the space and have people working for him. I have posted earlier, what Tim Gunn said about the space.... He said that it was very clear that Jeffrey's personal work area was seperate from his empolyees and that Jeffrey's wasn't allowing anyone in that space to see his work for Project Runway.

If Bravo wanted to make Jeffrey look guilty then they would have made sure to keep the footage of Jeffrey's employees running around in the background working on his other collection instead of editing them out in the final cut (since they were there). But since Jeffrey will be found innocent, they made sure to not show the other people working in the design space during Tim's visit.

Edited to add: It's really silly to think someone is guilty, because they make money and can work in a REAL studio instead of at home. Another note-it also means that Jeffrey can get more done since he is not distracted by his family.
    Last edited by Mertii; 10-16-2006 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by roses4me;2103860;
    Here's a paragraph from Nick's review of this much-discussed episode. Apparently he thinks there's something amiss with Jeffrey's outsourcing.

Finally, Tim took his Roadster to L.A. to visit Jeffrey. I could definitely imagine vintage Nirvana playing on the car stereo. After the requisite trip down suicide-and-drugs memory lane, we got a peek into Jeffrey's Japanese art-inspired collection. Tim seemed physically moved by it. I was more moved by Jeffrey's incredibly professional workspace and that every garment was hanging in their plastic bags, just as if he had received them back from the sewing contractor the night before. I made a mental note.
    I think the reviewer (Nick) missed the mark and should have listened to what was being said all season instead of looking at plastic bags (like that Jeffrey is a professional with a good business).

Okay I have to say this. I can't remember the old saying, but it's meaning is... People who are looking to find guilt will turn innocent actions into a reason for finding guilty.

I mean... obviously it couldn't have been because 1-he doesn't want people in his workspace seeing his work for project runway and 2-he is making sure that nothing happens to his work.

I guess in Nick's eyes our work (which we are trying to win money for) should be thrown around on the ground and not be hung up or neatly placed in bags. How about this... Jeffrey IS a professional designer who works in a professional space and knows how to take care of his work and that's it. Nothing more than that.

So I guess I am guilty of cheating too, since I hang some of my expensive gowns in bags in my closet, because I don't want anything to get on them (including dust) to ruin the look of them. Oh, and they didn't come from a dry cleaner either. Heaven forbid there was plastic bags on them!!

Oh dear god save us from the plastic bags....

Quote Originally Posted by Mertii;2104084;
    Okay I have to say this. I can't remember the old saying, but it's meaning is... People who are looking to find guilt will turn innocent actions into a reason for finding guilty.
    The converse is just as true for those who are looking to paint him innocent.

Calling those who think there are reasons to suspect guilt "silly" is unfortunate IMHO.

I imagine the producers will be looking for the receipts amongst Jeffrey's pile for everything he used at that space, like the garment bags, to show that he bought them for his own use and didn't take unfair advantage of having a commercial studio space.

And p.s., I don't want to find him guilty, as I stated before it would be tragic for him given his circumstances and all he's said about the reasons he is on the show.
    Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 10-16-2006 at 01:13 PM.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;2104111;
    The converse is just as true for those who are looking to paint him innocent.

Calling those who think there are reasons to suspect guilt "silly" is unfortunate IMHO.
    To your first statement... I was also add in a court of law someone is supposed to be innocent until "proven" guilty. And Tim did say to Jeffrey that in the eyes of PR you are innocent until proven guilty. And this is why I am taking the stance that I am.

This is a discussion where I have expressed my point of view. Nowhere did I say "Hey so and so.. you are sillly," which would be an attack. The only person I have mocked was the article written by a non-member, which I can do by the rules.

In referance to the general statement that I made, I was pointing out because he is working in a real space since he can afford it is silly to assume he is guilty using that as your evidence of his wrong doing...as you said it's will be what the producers find in the reciepts that will be the key (which none of us have access to). And to be honest unless we followed Jeffrey around 24-7, no one will be able to say for sure that he is 100% guilty or innocent. But I rather not just brand people as guilty and give people the benefit of the doubt.

But I should add, nowhere in the show has it ever been discussed that it was an "issue" that Jeffrey has a better workspace or where it was at. Neither the producers or fellow contestants have brought that up as an issue. If Jeffrey's workspace was "unacceptable" to the rules of the show in the eyes of the producers, than they would have asked that he work from home.

But I will say to the matter of you talking about "the garment bags" (clear plastic bags), being an unfair advantage. Firstly, what if Laura used her carry-on garment bags (which I am sure that she has and did use... she most certainly can't produce reciepts for it since she owns it and has owned it for sometime) as an unfair advantage as well. Are we going to start nip-picking? How about the fact that maybe Jeffrey, Uli and Laura already had dress forms, but Michael had to use some of his $8000 to buy a dress form. Is that unfair/cheating too? To be honest that doesn't matter in the slightest, because it wasn't the ISSUE. The issue of cheating was if Jeffrey out-sourced more sewing than was allowed in the PR rules. That's it. Not his workspace and mostly certainly wasn't the use of garment/plastic bags.
    Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 10-16-2006 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShrinkingViolet;

[I
    Loved seeing Harrison in the flesh rather than on Jeffrey's neck.

OMG, Shrinking, you made me blow my lunch at the computer screen. You are freakin' clever.

In New York: Loved Laura's bravery in risking the wrath of the entire population of real-estate-obsessed NYC by showing us her fabulous apartment. Loved her attitude about the kids; if she loses, maybe she can be Secretary of Defense. And loved the fact that although her kids get interesting names like Peik and Truman, the turtle is...Frank. How'd that happen?
    Michael appears to have taken the Booty and Bling Adventure Ride, while Uli's glitter-and-bones look indicated that eighth-row center at the Broadway production of The Lion King is about as close to an actual jungle as she's ever been.

Thanks for the mid-day jocularity fix.

Many Skills, I would love to take credit for being clever, but, alas! Mark Harris from EW.Com wrote that article. I was merely sharing it with all of you by posting it here.

Question:

Does anyone remember how much time designers in previous seasons had to produce their "12 looks"??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast