+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Did One of the Finalists Cheat? ** SPOILERS **

FORT Newbie
    You're right. You can pay for additional help with things you can't do yourself, knitting, for example. Shoes if you want special ones, accessories, anything not sewn in a normal manner. As long as you pay fair market value and it comes out of the normal $8000. budget. You have to have receipts for all expenses and they are checked out.

Charmed n' Dangerous tumblin' dice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Surly View Post
    tumblin dice, all four of the finalists appeared on the Today show this morning. They were decorating blue jean pockets for some charity auction. The host brought up the "cheating" allegations and Jeffrey just said that we would all find out what happened in the next few weeks. He was smiling when he said it and he was wearing a tie.

Laura talked about being pregnant again, Michael talked about how he tried out for season 2 and didn't make it and Uli talked about her how her signature is print dresses.

Kinmoku Princess, you are correct. The designers are allowed outside help if they pay for it.
    Thanks, Surly!! I appreciate the update.
    The thieves get rich, the saints get shot-
    And god don't answer prayers a lot.

-Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

I can't say this adds anything more than we have already read about, but here is another article about the cheating scandal.

"Runway" Sews Up Another Scandal

by Gina Serpe

It's all right there in the tagline: Heidi Klum cuts, the designers sew.

Except, of course, when it seems the designers don't actually sew and instead outsource the production of their garments to hired hands, as is the allegation among contestants heading into Project Runway's
    third season finale.

The accusations of cheating mark the second demi-scandal to hit the catwalk this season and were leveled at final four contestant Jeffrey Sebelia by fellow designer Laura Bennett.

Last month, the four remaining wannabes--Sebelia, Bennett, Michael Knight and Uli Herzner--showed their collections during New York Fashion Week, at which point Bennett, a redheaded mother of five, accused the rock 'n' roll designer of cheating by obtaining outside help to stitch his frocks together.

According to New York Magazine, the accusations came about after the two designers' mothers became friendly during the months the final four were no longer being filmed and busy working on their collections.

During those months, Parsons School of Design fashion chair, Project Runway designer mentor and all-around scene-stealer, Tim Gunn, visited each designer to check up on his or her progress. It apparently got back to Bennett, via the maternal grapevine, that Gunn told Sebelia he "had a lot of work to do."

Three weeks later, the foursome reconvened at Bryant Park, at which point Sebelia's collection was, in Bennett's eyes, suspiciously well made, especially considering his signature deconstructed style and the condensed amount of time he had to turn the collection around, leading her to accuse the 36-year-old of calling in extra hands, a violation of the show's rules that could lead to disqualification if proven to be true.

"We took the accusation very seriously, and we did a very intense and thorough investigation," Gunn told New York Magazine, declining to reveal the verdict of the so-called scandal and thus potentially spoil the season-ender.

"His collection was very ambitious," he added. "I wasn't born yesterday."

For his part, Sebelia has lashed out at the allegations--and those who reported on them--in a posting to his MySpace page, after a commenter brought up the rumors.

"Thanks for your concern," Sebelia wrote. "But all I have to say is be careful of what you read and also of what is presented in the press.

"Those people take any information they get (usually unfounded rumors) and just print them in order to bolster their own readership, with no regard to the person they might be slandering.

"They are just doing their job as bottom-feeding, sludge-dredging, no-life-having journalists."

We'll take that as a denial.

Should Sebelia, who has run the successful clothing line Cosa Nostra out of Los Angeles for several years, be found guilty of cheating, it would be the second such instance of designer subterfuge this season.

Just a week after the season premiere became the most watched show in Bravo's history, eagle-eyed fans took to Internet message boards, opining on how the designs contestant Keith Michael submitted in order to earn his spot on the show bore a striking resemblance to fashions from established designers' recent collections. And they had the screen grabs to prove it.

The early frontrunner defended the submission as a "a research assignment" and claimed he never presented the designs as his own work. Regardless, it was soon moot, as he was kicked off several episodes later for breaking the show's rules by being in possession of design books, a definite no-no.

He got the boot after being ratted out by fellow competitor Kayne Gillespie.

"The kind of sad part is that I never used those books to give myself any unfair advantage," Michael said at the time. "I am disappointed. I would have made it to the end, I'm pretty sure."

Project Runway's reunion special airs this Wednesday, with the two-part finale taking place Oct. 11 and 18.

Link

Ok, so I assume the problem is Jeffrey didnt pay for his help? I guess that makes more sense lol

The four Project Runway finalists were indeed on the very last bit of the Today show Wednesday morning. The segment was filmed outdoors and all voices were nearly drowned-out by apparently very nearby construction going on.

Jeffrey has a new haircut; I'm not saying this to be rude, and it has nothing to do with his personality, honest. But the very dyed-black color, and exact cut, and something different about his face (has he had a brow lift?) - at first i thought Alan Cumming, but then in a far shot - he looks just like a young Hitler (well, physically!). It was kind of uncanny. The shirt and tie he was wearing might have added to that impression. I'd illustrate with some Photoshopping but (perhaps thankfully) this computer can't hack that.

The Final Four were all designing denim pants pockets for a charity fundraiser called Denim Day. You can bid on the pockets (including other celebs' - Heidi for one) here. The charity is called Entertainment Industry Foundation and it looks like they (raise funds to) fight cancer. A woman from EIF was there to mention all this, then the reporter talked to PR's four.

This Friday is National Denim Day, and there's a space to sign up for it. Basically you wear denim to work and send in $5 but there's more about it on those links. As for Jeffrey's 'scandal' all he would say is "Wouldn't you like to know!" with a glint in his eye and a laugh. He said "you will find out everything you need to know in the next couple weeks". Jeffrey's pocket had a floral theme.

Laura said she never felt unwell or tired (during the show) and she's had no problems in her pregnancy. She had her hair swept back in a ponytail, and a red dress on (I think the same one she wore during the Reunion show). They didn't show Laura's pocket. Michael wore a King of Hearts T shirt, and was his usual humble, friendly self. Kind of low-key. His pocket(s) had stars on them. Uli had a slightly different hairstyle, more blunt on the ends, and her pockets had cheery slogans on them.

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by tumblin' dice View Post

Jeffrey appeared on the Today show this morning; typically, auffed contestants appear there after they've been eliminated. Was this his swan song, or was he merely replying to allegations?

I'm dying to find out.

Anyone see it?
    Last edited by Brandy; 10-05-2006 at 08:39 AM.

Charmed n' Dangerous tumblin' dice's Avatar
    Thanks for the update, Brandy. It was almost like being there in front of my tv. :-) You're very kind to elaborate in such detail.
    The thieves get rich, the saints get shot-
    And god don't answer prayers a lot.

-Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

You're welcome! Details R Us.

FORT Newbie
    Not sure where to post this. I was on the Bravo site today reading Andy's blog, there is a picture of the designers and their models on the stage, (the picture is there because Andy was commenting that the process was taking hours and they wanted Laura to sit) getting judged after their showing. Jeffrey is there with his model. I would assume this means, no disqualification?

I'm glad this thread title says spoilers! Yes he apparently is, although, I'm not sure we can guess what that means.

I did note that Andy said "this was one of the most emotional finales ever" and he "cried his face off". Personally, I doubt they would oust Jeffrey at this stage in the game - unless they could track down some seamstress who'd swear under oath she sewed Jeffrey's collection. Not likely to happen. And even if he did fudge - with computers and scanners it would not be that hard to come up with a barrel full of receipts.

In any case according to Andy from Bravo, it is going to be an entertaining episode. Maybe that's all that matters in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;2089260;
    Do you really think Jeffrey's kid would change his attitude of his dad, or of what's acceptable behavior, because of a TV show he was on? He has the experience of living with him every day of his life to know whatever his dad is really like, and what he's been taught...

It's not an issue of whether or not Jeff's son is going to like him; obviously he will love his dad. The issue is his son will think that kind of behavior is acceptable, that it's ok to treat people like that. Basically if Jeff's son takes any behavioral clues from his dad, he'll be a total a-hole.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast