+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Models flunk BMI, get Spain fashion boot

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.

Models flunk BMI, get Spain fashion boot

I don't trust BMI measurements as a true telling of health status, since it doesn't take into account that muscle weighs more than fat, but I applaud the stance of these designers.

Spain's top fashion show has turned away a slew of models on grounds they are too skinny ó an unprecedented swipe at body images blamed for encouraging eating disorders among young people.

Organizers of the pageant, known as the Pasarela Cibeles, used a mathematical formula to calculate the models' body mass index ó a measure of their weight in relation to their height ó and 30 percent of the women flunked, said the Association of Fashion Designers of Spain.

The association said Friday it wanted models at the show running from Sept. 18-22 to project "an image of beauty and health" and shun a gaunt, emaciated look.

The decision was made as part of a voluntary agreement with the Madrid regional government, said Jesus del Pozo, a designer who is part of the association, said Thursday.

Last year's show, also called Madrid Fashion Week, drew protests from medical associations and women's advocacy groups because some of the models were positively bone-thin.

This time the Madrid regional government decided to intervene and pressure organizers to hire fuller-figured women as role models for young girls obsessed with being thin and prone to starving themselves into sickness, said Concha Guerra, deputy finance minister of the regional administration.

Fashion shows, Guerra said, "are mirrors for many young women."

Del Pozo said this was the first time skinny models have been snubbed at a major international fashion show.

Ryan Brown, director of marketing and public relations in North America for the Elite modeling agency in New York City, agreed. "It is very unprecedented," said Brown, who has nothing to do with the Spanish show.

He welcomed the decision saying "I think it is great to promote health."

Madrid's show, which features mainly Spanish designers, is not as prestigious as catwalks in Paris or Milan but "it is not at the bottom of the pile," he said.

The impact of rejecting skinny women would have been greater at those other glitzier venues. Still, he said, "I am sure the industry is taking note."

The body mass index is a tool for doctors who study obesity. It is calculated by dividing weight in pounds by height in inches squared, and multiplying that total by 703.

If the resulting number is between 18.5 and 24.9, the person's weight is normal. Below 18.5 they are underweight. In the case of the Madrid show, organizers rejected women with indices under 18.

Brown of the Elite agency said fashion shows reflect the tastes of clothing designers, who for now prefer the Kate Moss look as opposed to the curvier dimensions of models such as Cindy Crawford in years past.

"They don't want voluptuous girls any more," he said. "It would be nice if fashion got back to that."
    Yahoo News

I feel badly for the models, but I do like the women with actual bodies. Thin is nice, and elegant. Super Skinny is a little on the gross side for me...
    "Man is Elyse [top model] ever thin. Makes me want to go to the gym. Right after I eat my sandwich." - Giz
    "Every time you donít buy CoverGirl cosmetics, Jesus cries" - SnowflakeGirl
    "And I'm also tired of people saying "OMG I'LL NEVER WATCH AGAIINNN". Come on now. ANTM is cocaine and you are the lindsay lohans who crave it" - queenegoist

That formula is kind of fun. My BMI is 20.52. And if I lost 5 pounds, it would be 19.76.

The skinny models detracted from Santino's show. They looked like they were on drugs and not interested in wearing dresses. Healthy girls make the dresses look better.

I have another version of the story here:

MADRID (Reuters) - The world's first ban on overly thin models at a top-level fashion show in Madrid has caused outrage among modeling agencies and raised the prospect of restrictions at other venues.

ADVERTISEMENT

Madrid's fashion week has turned away underweight models after protests that girls and young women were trying to copy their rail-thin looks and developing eating disorders.

Organizers say they want to project an image of beauty and health, rather than a waif-like, or heroin chic look.

But Cathy Gould, of New York's Elite modeling agency, said the fashion industry was being used as a scapegoat for illnesses like anorexia and bulimia.

"I think its outrageous, I understand they want to set this tone of healthy beautiful women, but what about discrimination against the model and what about the freedom of the designer," said Gould, Elite's North America director, adding that the move could harm careers of naturally "gazelle-like" models.

Madrid's regional government, which sponsors the show and imposed restrictions, said it did not blame designers and models for anorexia. It said the fashion industry had a responsibility to portray healthy body images.

"Fashion is a mirror and many teenagers imitate what they see on the catwalk," said regional official Concha Guerra.

The mayor of Milan, Italy, Letizia Moratti, told an Italian newspaper this week she would seek a similar ban for her city's show unless it could find a solution to "sick" looking models.

QUALITY, NOT SIZE

The Madrid show is using the body mass index or BMI -- based on weight and height -- to measure models. It has turned away 30 percent of women who took part in the previous event. Medics will be on hand at the September 18-22 show to check models.

"The restrictions could be quite a shock to the fashion world at the beginning, but I'm sure it's important as far as health is concerned," said Leonor Perez Pita, director of Madrid's show, also known as the Pasarela Cibeles.

A spokeswoman for the Association of Fashion Designers of Spain, which represents those at Madrid fashion week, said the group supported restrictions and its concern was the quality of collections, not the size of models.

Eating disorder activists said many Spanish model agencies and designers oppose the ban and they had doubts whether the new rules would be followed.

"If they don't go along with it the next step is to seek legislation, just like with tobacco," said Carmen Gonzalez of Spain's Association in Defense of Attention for Anorexia and Bulimia, which has campaigned for restrictions since the 1990s.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Harmless and unoffensive ComputerSaysNo's Avatar
    This is good and bad. There are some women out there that are genuinely and naturally super-skinny without drugs or starvation. Just like there are women that are a size 14 who excercise and eat a healthful, balanced diet.

But legislating it? That I don't know about...

FORT Newbie

Fashion models

Well so much for setting a healthy standard.

Ugh, still not allowed to post a link...hope the pic makes it through.

Caption reads as follows:

A model presents a creation for French fashion house Guy Laroche as part of their Spring/Summer 2007 ready-to-wear fashion collection in Paris October 7, 2006. REUTERS/Charles Platiau (FRANCE)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Live Forever
    Oookkkayyy, that picture is just plain creepy. If someone is unhealthy, you could see it in their body and their faces because your face show tireness when you don't eat (ie the model in the picture).

Anyway The BMI, I wouldn't really trust that since like rtyk1 said, BMI doesn't take in muscle mass, which is a whole lot more than fat in calculation. BMI is for only normal people who want to watch their body or those who are extremely obese (since their fat overweigh their muscle mass), not for models.

Quote Originally Posted by Nino71 View Post

A model presents a creation for French fashion house Guy Laroche as part of their Spring/Summer 2007 ready-to-wear fashion collection in Paris October 7, 2006. REUTERS/Charles Platiau (FRANCE)

the spanish people probably saw THIS model, and created their new BMI guidelines to keep her out. Not that I blame them... yikes...
    "Man is Elyse [top model] ever thin. Makes me want to go to the gym. Right after I eat my sandwich." - Giz
    "Every time you donít buy CoverGirl cosmetics, Jesus cries" - SnowflakeGirl
    "And I'm also tired of people saying "OMG I'LL NEVER WATCH AGAIINNN". Come on now. ANTM is cocaine and you are the lindsay lohans who crave it" - queenegoist

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nino71 View Post

That model looks like she is about to die. She is skin and bones. Starving children on those charity commercials don't look that bad. DISGUSTING!

I'm glad they are taking a stand somewhere, late however, and trying to keep this unhealthy ideal away from younger girls.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast