+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Models flunk BMI, get Spain fashion boot

FORT Newbie
    I don't get the objections to BMI in this instance. Sure, muscle weighs more, so if the models had more muscle and weren't just skin and bones, they'd have a higher BMI and be allowed in the show.

Quote Originally Posted by mrporpoise View Post
    I don't get the objections to BMI in this instance. Sure, muscle weighs more, so if the models had more muscle and weren't just skin and bones, they'd have a higher BMI and be allowed in the show.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. My middle daughter has a BMI of 5. She's not unhealthy, even the doctors say so, she is just super skinny and a pain in the butt to clothe.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    My comments were about bmi in general as an overall statement of health. BMI can be inaccurate.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by not-interested View Post
    Oookkkayyy, that picture is just plain creepy. If someone is unhealthy, you could see it in their body and their faces because your face show tireness when you don't eat (ie the model in the picture).

Anyway The BMI, I wouldn't really trust that since like rtyk1 said, BMI doesn't take in muscle mass, which is a whole lot more than fat in calculation. BMI is for only normal people who want to watch their body or those who are extremely obese (since their fat overweigh their muscle mass), not for models.
    well yeah, but in this case,it would work for their advantage. The more they weigh the better...the bmi is a good indicator of general health...sure it might differ when it comes to a body builder..but is a body builder really healthy? its all about balance, and the bmi gives you a pretty wide range that falls into normal and i think its great that they made these rules because girls should not feel as though they have to be unhealthy to be a model.

I am naturally skinny but I don't look starved. Now, bigger people think I do...but compared to pics of anorexics and the pic posted above....I am fat and I only weigh a buck o' five!

That pics looks like death and starvation to me....if not that then something is wrong with the metabolism orglands and she needs to be hospitalized anyway. It looks like she has wasting disease.

I am glad someone is making a stand. Now, I don't consider the BMI an accurate measurement tool...BUT it is a wake up call and a start.

Hooray for Spain!

Live Forever
    You're missing my point, I was just trying to give an example of how BMI might be a bad indicator. A model can have a high BMI, but yet might be the most unhealthy model on the earth, BMI doesn't show your health level.

I was in a similar situation when I was in Japan, but they let me in because of my face and walk, but im so against what they are doing in Spain.
    I hate how they think beautiful people must be skinny people, thats so untrue.

FORT Regular
    Which weighs more, a ton of feathers or a ton of lead?

They're exactly the same. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle weighs exactly the same. The difference is a pound of muscle takes up less space compared to a pound of fat. This is what the BMI doesn't take into consideration.

IMHO, that picture was disgusting. It reminds me of current pics of Kate Bosworth.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoryIsMine;2105118;
    Which weighs more, a ton of feathers or a ton of lead?

They're exactly the same. A pound of fat and a pound of muscle weighs exactly the same. The difference is a pound of muscle takes up less space compared to a pound of fat. This is what the BMI doesn't take into consideration.

IMHO, that picture was disgusting. It reminds me of current pics of Kate Bosworth.

Under BMI a body builder can be classified as obese. They weigh more because they have more muscle, not because they have more fat. It's not right to classify these people as obese when they clearly aren't. Maybe we used the wrong terminology to make our point, but the issue is not space, it is using body weight as opposed to body fat percentage.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky;2105822;
    Under BMI a body builder can be classified as obese. They weigh more because they have more muscle, not because they have more fat. It's not right to classify these people as obese when they clearly aren't. Maybe we used the wrong terminology to make our point, but the issue is not space, it is using body weight as opposed to body fat percentage.

rt1ky, you're right. I didn't clarify my comment enough when saying what BMI doesn't take into consideration. It was supposed to be specific to the quality of the weight v. the weight alone, not space, but I processed that leap internally and did not articulate it. There are professional athletes under the BMI who are classified as obese

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12