+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: 8/23 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

FORT Newbie
    Jeffrey was an insecure/paranoid jackass. Angela's mom reminds me a bit of my mom (passive) so it really bothers me to see people take advantage of that. Jefferey is a worser (is that a word?) person than I could have assumed. This is the first time i've ever felt sickened watching a show.
    Last edited by exzebache; 08-24-2006 at 12:24 AM.

FORT Regular
    I feel like I'm in bizarro-land. Yet again I disagree with most of the people on this board, and it's because I *loved* Vincent's dress. And I wanted to stand up and applaud just about every other word that came out of his mouth on this ep, too. Perhaps he's the sort of designer that does better with limits and a client? I didn't think he could come back from the utter horror that was his "it gets me off" comments and the last two dresses, but he did. I liked the collar-- it's a pretty standard "older lady" design, but I agree with the judges in that it managed to still be new and different, and it fit her beautifully. Loved Uli's design, too.

I also agreed with the auf'ing. Yes, Jeffrey was horrid, absolutely beyond mean and should have been drop-kicked off the nearest balcony for what he said to Angela's poor mother. And yes, his dress was also horrid-- Angela's mother is a really pretty woman, and my grandmother wouldn't have worn that dress! But Robert has been in the bottom 3 week after week after week with the *exact same criticism* every time. He's like the Patrice (from Rock Star Supernova) of Project Runway-- after a while, it's cumulative. I don't think it has anything to do with drama or lack of drama, it's about the fact that he made something that you can walk down to any plus store in America and find. (BTW, speaking as a plus woman, I really hate those scarf collars-- what Vincent's sister did with it is a perfect mirror of reality. First you try to flip it over your shoulder, and it slides off. So then you tie it and it looks silly. So then you flip it again. And tie it. And flip it. And clean it off after it slipped off your shoulder for the 99th time that day and fell in your soup. Finally you give up and stop wearing the jacket entirely.) He threatened to make something out of a print fabric and give her a "quit picking on Robert" sign to hold. Robert, if you'd done that, you'd probably still be on the show. I like the guy, too. But how can someone who designs Barbie outfits make such consistently dull dresses every week?

I'm also in the minority in not liking Michael's dress. Yay, it's reversible. She still looked like a stewardess. I'm also starting to agree with someone else (can't remember where I read this comment) that his explanations are sometimes better than his clothes. He's like Anti-Andrae in that respect.

Kayne, you disappoint me. I loved his enthusiasm for his client, and his willingness to make plus-size clothes. But he made such a dowdy design for such a vivacious woman, especially after listening to them share an enthusiasm for sparkle and glitter. I expected something really fun, and I don't think those khaki flood pants were fun.

ok didn't get a chance to read through everything before posting - -but i have one question (it may have already been asked) but why , Why, WHY????? do designers feel that "plus size" women really really REALLY love double knit polyester???? i mean come on -- when you are bigger you want a fabric that is flattering -- double knit polyester is NOT it (neither is jersey knit stuff btw) .... i think most of those outfits out have looked so much better had they been done it something other than polyester or a 70 / 30 polyester blend ...... just my opinion tho ---
    Last edited by firechica; 08-24-2006 at 01:05 AM.
    Don't let the fear of striking out hold you back. -Babe Ruth
    I know right from wrong... wrong is the fun one

i'm sad that robert is out -- i will say i was expecting more of him this entire time --- so i'm disapointed that he didn't do some much better designs --- but my gosh was he so fun!!!! poor kayne - -whats he gonna do??? LOL
    Don't let the fear of striking out hold you back. -Babe Ruth
    I know right from wrong... wrong is the fun one

Its really ironic that in response to Kathy Najimy's letter, Andy of Andy's Blog, said they would be dealing with the issue in this episode. Gee, as a plus size woman myself, I really feel honored by their subtle and considerate handling of the subject, like they've done a good social turn here, I really feel validated and refreshed by their sensitive and progressive treatment of the issue. NOT.

We start the show with the designers moms and sisters coming out on the runway like cattle to the slaughter. Now, the sensitive and politically correct way of handling this, given that some of the ladies were normal sized, and others had larger figures, would have been to randomly assign the moms to the designers, nobody getting to keep their own relative. But no, we have to go through the transparent demeaning game of most unpopular kid at the softball game. Did the Bravo designers really think just because we're so fat, we would be so busy munching on chips to notice that all the slim ladies were picked first, and the big ladies got picked last? That we don't realize why that went down that way? Do they think we're too stupid to realize how demeaning, embarrassing and upsetting that must have been for some of the ladies who were picked last, or that we couldn't empathize with their humiliation?

Oh, I feel so much better about the show.

Then we get to hear the discussion at lunch about how fat Kayne used to be, and how he's so embarrassed by those pictures. Gee, thanks for bringing up how humiliating pictures can be for those with larger figures. And then aside from what Kayne said (and bless him for being such a classy guy and his kind and honest words), we get to hear yet more pearls of wisdom and tolerance from the designers. We get to hear Laura make a crack to Jeffrey's mother about how big some of the models' hips were. Another gratuitous slap at stick girls who you think are fat, thanks so much Bravo!

Then we cut to Laura saying "there's some really, really stumped designers in that room, especially the designers with the larger women who have just never done anything like this before and kind of have no idea how to depart from the basic moo-moo dress with colorful dress on top." Switch to Robert saying he's scared because he doesn't understand proportion for this size woman. Then we get more pearls of wisdom from Vincent: "people felt uncomfortable with this challenge because they like to dress beautiful lean models that have perfect 25 inch waists. You have to be able to compensate and deliver to real women because these are the people who wear your clothes." Great speech, Vincent, only problem is, you picked one of the relatively skinny women, and we're not so stupid we haven't forgotten that.

Then the coup de gras, we get to watch Jeffrey abuse that poor woman for no other offence than she didn't like the colors he chose and she didn't want to look matronly. Quel offence! And then the poor woman he mistreated so cruelly and undeservedly gets to listen to Jeffrey's mother make excuses for him, instead of cuffing his ears like she should have, and get told she should move forward. Plus we get to hear him call her a b!tch.

And then you really, really insult our collective intelligence by portraying the fiasco which resulted not as an out of control, socially inept designer who couldn't design himself out of a paper bag, much less treat his customer with the respect and courtesy, you have the judges characterize it as a "lack of communication", like it was partially the fault of the model, and not a complete failure on the part of the designer.

Well, I don't know about the rest of you, but I just feel so much better about the producers' editting choices and the show, I can't tell you. I'm so glad y'all decided to be sensitive and considerate, not to mention socially progressive and educational, when you decided to hold up these women to public ridicule with the cattle call model pick, your decision to harp on the issue of how absolutely difficult it is to design anything decent for anyone over 120 pounds endlessly, and let us not forget, the decision to include yet more gratuitous swipes against stick thin models and their ginormous hips.

Thanks Project Runway, I feel so loved and respected.

FORT Newbie

Jeffrey in the final

I agree that Jeffrey will be in the final three, which will be such a nightmare to watch. I can hardly stand to watch anymore, anyway, whenever his face appears, I cringe.

What an [FA edit]! The fact that his mother made excuses for his behavior certainly explains much of his behavior. He no doubt was babied growing up; my mother would have died of embarrassment had she witnessed me treating someone so poorly, especially if it were coupled with the fact that it was splashed across television screens across the country.

GOD, i HATE JEFFREY! His design this week was absolutely HORRENDOUS! Really awful! That clownish patched-together piece almost looked like he was mocking his model - bleeeeeech!

Laura is so great - I really love her coolness. And Michael is an absolutely amazing designer. I WANT that reversible dress! It looks so sweet.

Vincent's dress was ill-fitting and dumpy-looking. Are these designers blind?

What happened with Angela! Her last two designs were pretty chic looking; all of the sudden, she comes up with that nightmarish fringe-covered thing?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by AKat View Post
    I think we can count on Vincent and Jeffrey to be in the final three -- just because they have totally obnoxious personalities and can be counted on to cause immense amount of trouble which is what the incredibly stupid producers think we want.

Hey, producers -- try this -- take a vote, an impartial vote of anybody who choses to participate of what that want on this show: 1. genuine talent and nice people or 2: no talent and completely obnoxious people. Bet you anything that 1 would win. You are too stupid to realize it though.

Last edited by ShrinkingViolet; 08-24-2006 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by firechica View Post
    ok didn't get a chance to read through everything before posting - -but i have one question (it may have already been asked) but why , Why, WHY????? do designers feel that "plus size" women really really REALLY love double knit polyester???? i mean come on -- when you are bigger you want a fabric that is flattering -- double knit polyester is NOT it (neither is jersey knit stuff btw) .... i think most of those outfits out have looked so much better had they been done it something other than polyester or a 70 / 30 polyester blend ...... just my opinion tho ---
    As a plus size woman, I can honestly say it was bad enough that the designers didn't have a clue what would look flattering on a plus size body. But this was no surprise to me. Heck, you can walk into Lane Bryant or Avenue, and for anyone who hasn't been in one, walk in and look at the absolutely horrible stuff on the racks, and you'll know that even the people who professionally design for plus size stores haven't a clue what larger size women are looking for, or will look good in. Uli, newsflash here, we don't look better in prints, but they persist in throwing lime green and neon orange @#$% at us, oh and lots of cheap looking sequins and fake bejeweled designs. There really is nothing that really looks good on you, its more a question of finding something that doesn't look BAD on you. The best shopping strategy is only to buy clothes in the fall, when you can buy some relatively tasteful sweaters with restrained designs (i.e. no beading, no tacky sequins, no neon colors) and wear them even in the sweltering summer because you just can't face those linen turquoise shorts you know are gonna be on the racks.

But the "professionals" clearly didn't have a clue what would look good, or at least not bad, on the larger ladies, either. Newsflash, Heidi, a print would NOT have been a good idea, it almost never is. And Michael Kors, clearly, you've never been a plus size woman, much less with a well endowed chest, because a lot of us don't like showing that skin, if for no other reason that, when we lean over, there's a whole lot more of us to see, and gravity makes it a whole lot easier to see the whole lot more of us. It was so patently obvious that the judges were irreperably biased in favor of the outfits worn by the smaller women, excepting of course Angela's new fringe obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinknyc View Post
    What an [FA edit]! The fact that his mother made excuses for his behavior certainly explains much of his behavior. He no doubt was babied growing up; my mother would have died of embarrassment had she witnessed me treating someone so poorly, especially if it were coupled with the fact that it was splashed across television screens across the country.
    Yeah, I missed that, too, first viewing around. Its called enabling. If I behaved like that in public, my father would have cuffed me across the chin. Heck, when I was a young teenager, I cuffed my sister (figuratively speaking) for picking on a 4 year old, who admittedly was a bratty pain in the neck, but he was 4. Actually now that I think of it, I got cuffed in turn for that one, when I told my parents I did it because they weren't doing their job. Never mind!

What happened with Angela! Her last two designs were pretty chic looking; all of the sudden, she comes up with that nightmarish fringe-covered thing?!?!?!?
    The Laura/Michael intervention effect began to wear off, and what's worse, Angela's ego began to get puffed up, and she reverted back to her own horrific style.

Wow.. Jeffrey is just unstable. I mean, obviously the way he treated Angela's mom was abominable, but then he breaks down when Robert is aufed. This boy really has issues.

As much as I would have loved to see Jeffrey aufed for his behavior, Robert was the right choice. You could really tell Vincent's sister was NOT happy. Speaking of Vincent, he may be crazier than the proverbial s-house rat, but at least he's got a heart and seems to be overall a decent guy. And his dress was really hip. I still like Uli and Michael better, but I can see how Vincent won it.

This episode was a bit emotional. I feel like a need a drink now.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

This maybe unpopular, but...

When I watched the episode after reading the boards I felt that:

Jeffrey was not as bad as he was made out to be. He was not nicey, nice and true, he did not "blow sunshine up her a**", but was very matter-of-fact. If you have not been around a person who usually speaks in that matter, you can get your feelings hurt very easily. (I am married to a man who is very matter-of-fact when speaking and it is very easy to add a negative emotion to a comment when it really was not there). I don't know what goes on in J's head, but is it possible that he was just being blunt and speaking off the "top of his head"?

I think both parties were not putting their best foot forward. I feel like Angela's mom is someone who may get her feelings hurt easily and does not feel good about her body image. I feel like Jeffrey does not always take others feelings into account when he speaks and sometimes lashes out too strongly when he feels he has been treated with disrespect.

Jeffrey's outfit did not look good, but it was very Jeffrey.

Surprise! I really liked Vincent's dress. I know, I cannot believe it. He restrained his inner loon and pulled it off/out--whatever. Congrats to him.

Hated, hated, hated Angela and Robert's clothing more than Jeffrey's. What was up with the fringe? Oh my...

And Robert, I love watching him on television, but BORING. Dude just could not commit to adding his own personality to his designs on the show. I hated to see him leave, but I understand.

Does anyone think next week they will be designing for a MAN??????
    Last edited by Screamingpansy; 08-24-2006 at 02:37 AM.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
    Herm Albright
    (1876 - 1944)

+ Reply to Thread