+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kathy Najimy Sounds Off

Quote Originally Posted by dogabone View Post
    My old-world Russian (well, it's Ukraine, now) Jewish grandparents definitely used "zaftig" to meand hefty, and it definitely wasn't considered a compliment. In fact, sometimes they'd add to the insult by describing someone as being "zaftig like a farm horse"!

And why would you rely on OED to define a Yiddish term?
    I really don't want to have to justify the legitimacy of the OED; I was just trying to contrast the way I've heard my family use the word (I don't want to get in a competition on whose Jewish grandparents have the "better" definition and usage of the word) with the way it appears in a dictionary.

This board demonstrates that people have very different understandings of the word, and I was just trying to make the point that I didn't think Tim was being nasty or insulting - he was just commenting on how this model appears on the runway among a bevy of walking beanpoles, and suggesting she should consider her figure. I REALLY don't think Tim was suggesting she is actually "FAT."

Quote Originally Posted by DagnyTaggart View Post
    When my grandparents (total old country European Jews) refer to someone as zaftig, it is usually a woman of at least size 16. They're not calling her ripe or luscious! They are a big skewed - I wear a size 6 (5'6, between 130-135, and I am muscular but still curvy (*see old country European Jews for blame*) enough to engage in some time-to-time self-loathing) - and last time I was home my grandma suggested that I wear a girdle so my 'stomach doesn't stick out like that.'
    One of my cousins is 5'6" and used to weight 132 in high school and all I have heard since then is about the 20 lbs she has gained, she is now 152lb and I think she looks fine. At one point her cholesterol was too high and her doctor told her to quit eating fast food and just by doing that she lost the dreaded 20 lbs in 6 months, of course that did not last. But 130 at 5'6" is what you are supposed to be, that is normal not fat or skinny I can't believe that your grandparents said that to you. Maybe grandma needs some new glasses. Thank you grandma for screwing with your grandchild's self image. What in the world is wrong with being curvy. Guys like curvy girls, else why do all these woman go to the plastic surgeon and get breast and butt implants, its not to be a stick, its to be curvy. Be curvy and proud.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 08-23-2006 at 08:40 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Fanatic
    Oh, I like my curves - and grandma likes me. She's 90 years old, and I'm 32 and not a sensitive teen, so she gets some leeway. It was more of a funny moment than at all horrifying. But thanks for the support.

Quote Originally Posted by DagnyTaggart View Post
    Oh, I like my curves - and grandma likes me. She's 90 years old, and I'm 32 and not a sensitive teen, so she gets some leeway. It was more of a funny moment than at all horrifying. But thanks for the support.
    This thread and the subject matter must be getting to me cause I got mad at your grandma, glad everything is ok.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Well, if they thought tonight's episode was going to placate the plus size fans, rather than fan the flames of their irritation, I think they were sadly mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Closet Fan View Post
    Well, if they thought tonight's episode was going to placate the plus size fans, rather than fan the flames of their irritation, I think they were sadly mistaken.
    Yes, the show definitely keeps putting its foot in its mouth in that regard - and it's not a Manolo Blahnik!

Goddess of Looks & Books nliedel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Closet Fan View Post
    My issue is not with plus size as much as what is plus size? Not someone who is a size ten. That's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dogabone View Post
    My old-world Russian (well, it's Ukraine, now) Jewish grandparents definitely used "zaftig" to meand hefty, and it definitely wasn't considered a compliment. In fact, sometimes they'd add to the insult by describing someone as being "zaftig like a farm horse"!

And why would you rely on OED to define a Yiddish term?
    Well, dictionaries do consult with numerous actual speakers of Yiddish before coming up with a definition and etymology of a term that has come into English from Yiddish origins. They don't just have a staffer call up his Bubbeh and go with whatever she says it means.

And most dictionaries define "zaftig" in a positive sense, not just the OED-- and most sources go with the "juicy" etymology.

Obviously, though, some people use the term differently than others, and this may reflect differing opinions on what the ideal weight/shape for a woman is.

And so much for the stereotype of the Jewish grandmother urging her grandchildren to "Eat something already! You look like a skeleton, such skin and bones!"...

Aside from the Fasion industry standards of plus sized etc... I just don't get the whole lot of it. I mean, I know I'm a big girl. I know I'm undoubtedly plus sized by anyone's standards... but according to gool ol "reliable" BMI I am Obese. The whole nation, and it's attitude needs an overhaul. Not just the Pro-skinny side of the debate either. Both sides need to wake up and realise neither extream is healthy.

According to Doctors BMI charts, this is what an Obese woman looks like:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...95165477jhGWAY

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...95165477mqpubh

Sorry I only have full body shots where I am fully covered in both my wedding dress, and a shawl. I don't have many non-face only pics... on acountta I'm so ashamed of my grotesque fat body
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd View Post
    Aside from the Fasion industry standards of plus sized etc... I just don't get the whole lot of it. I mean, I know I'm a big girl. I know I'm undoubtedly plus sized by anyone's standards... but according to gool ol "reliable" BMI I am Obese. The whole nation, and it's attitude needs an overhaul. Not just the Pro-skinny side of the debate either. Both sides need to wake up and realise neither extream is healthy.

According to Doctors BMI charts, this is what an Obese woman looks like:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...95165477jhGWAY

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...95165477mqpubh

Sorry I only have full body shots where I am fully covered in both my wedding dress, and a shawl. I don't have many non-face only pics... on acountta I'm so ashamed of my grotesque fat body
    I agree and you look BEAUTIFUL!

The BMI index does not take into account the fact that muscle weighs more than fat. According to the BMI index, Arnold Swartzeneggar (sp?) is obese.

I disagree with the earlier comment that there is no room for plus-size in the fashion industry. There is plenty of room if only people would open their narrow minds. If these designers are so creative why keep depending on an extremely thin body form to create your creations and then use a mathematical formula to make bigger sizes. Challenge yourself. Work with different forms of draping. Lane Bryant stores are succesful and other stores, like Macy's wouldn't have a plus size department if there was not value or room for it in fashion. Yes, as a society, we need to lose weight, but do we have to force those who aren't the ideal to wear horrible clothing that makes them feel bad.

I'm definetly plus sized compared to the stick thin fashion models, but clothing in the plus-sized departments are too big for me. What can consumers do to fight against this silly definition of what is too big and what is acceptable?
    Last edited by rt1ky; 08-24-2006 at 12:50 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast